Does UEFI and Secure Boot Options in BIOS Settings Make Difference in OS Performance?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Windows Fan, Dec 20, 2015.

1. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    More silly (but amusing) conspiracy theories...! There's a reason all UEFI bioses with which I am familiar also allow for a Legacy mode; and there's a reason why the end user is given control of the secure-boot process--as to whether it can either be turned on or off, which keys are used, etc. If you can't use secure-boot for whatever your reasons--say, you think the government is interested in your scrawny self, or that the Venusians and Martians desperately want to see what is on *your* hard drive and are using UEFI to do it somehow--then by all means, turn it off and legacy boot if you want. That is why it's an option.

What, you bought a cheap system the bios of which doesn't allow you that measure of control? Somehow, "The government made me do it" just doesn't ring true. Caveat Emptor.

I'm not even going to go into the purpose for secure-boot, because where that is concerned there are two groups of people, the first group understands it and how it works and what it is for, and that its use is optional; the second group has no clue and simply imagines it as yet-another-goofy-conspiracy that bears no resemblance to rationality [cue the theme from Twilight Zone.]

With all the "They're coming to take you away, ha-ha" sentiment I see from some folks, I wonder they are still using computers of any description.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    So don't wait anymore. Try to join it :D

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Lol, the only place where I can see a conspiracy theory is your post itself

My post relies on technical facts mixed with sarcasm...there is NO technical fact which can be used as argument that UEFI is an improvement over BIOS. Neither on the performance side nor on security. GPT boot is, though.

At many Android devices the bootloader is signed and you cannot turn that off!
    To turn on secure boot on windows does not make your PC more secure at all. It is useless.
    And all companies collect personal data.

To convince me otherwise one must argue..to say yet another conspiracy theory is nothing but funny...:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Well. Sadly that's only partly true nowadays.

For example keeping it free from systemd cancer is becoming harder and harder day after day.

5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Big LOL to BIG arrogance BIG ego
    Thought I was the only smarty-pants n00b.

:tea: :biggrin: :p :D

6. SPDIF

SPDIF MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Yes my sister has buy a new laptop lately and it was an older model with windows 8.1 installed.

I did try in many ways to install windows 10 directly from DVD or usb stick, but no joy...
    She only can upgrade to windows 10, and when she use the build-in repair function it reverts to windows 8.1 with all bloatware again installed...

Uefi bios has no option to put secure boot disabled.
    I really hate i could not help her with this.
    That why i always will build my computer by myself, this bios always have option to boot in legacy.
    Then you are the owner or your system and do what you want with it.

7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    FYI I did a format treatment to an ACER ASPIRE E3-112M-C8LD (2GB RAM) which comes with Windows 8.1 Single Language con Bing x64 (UEFI secure boot).
    Switched UEFI to Legacy and tried to install from scratch x86 on MBR disk, damn machine didn't work: freezes and complaints at all LOL.
    At the end I had to do it as factory design...:mad: :D

8. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #29 xinso, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    What a MUST HAVE madness!

9. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I have seen proof that it will wake from sleep faster, but boot speed is the same.
    I'm not aware of any other differences.

10. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    also i had uefi problems with acer laptops. it has a very poor uefi implementation.

11. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Redhat is the largest supporter of systemd indeed. Previous post was sarcasm ;)

12. valery84

valery84 MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2009
    I have a m2 Samsung SSD, and I think that my system is in bios mode, even if in setting there is "only UEFI boot" (Gygabite motherboard), because under drive proprieties - volume, partition type is set to "mbr". Is it possible to transform in UEFI? Without reinstall?

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    This actually belongs to the functions of the ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface).

To 'enable' legacy mode the UEFI needs usually the CSM (compatibility support module).
    This indicates that the CSM (whatever it controls except to let boot from MBR) seems to have here a negative influence on the ACPI...I guess it it dependent on the particular UEFI and hasn't to be a general issue....it might happen due to a sloppy code at the CSM/ACPI interconnection. (Or the CSM has even own contents which are ACPI related).

Short: One would have to verify this on other machines. :)

14. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  15. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    If you reformat a UEFI disk it will still have a GPT partition table. BIOS boot (non-UEFI) requires an MBR partition table. You'd have to write a new partition table or convert it to MBR via diskpart before you can format it.

16. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    No, this is not the cause of it. Problem was its UEFI is designed for 64-bit hardware only and I was trying to install 32-bit OS. The point here is that UEFI firmware routines should tell sort of warning about x86 software instead of letting me to run it in the first place and start doing oddities LOL.

17. valery84

valery84 MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2009
    Thank You, Tito, I will try this procedure