Downgrade/Flashing SONY VAIO problem

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by beldimon, Nov 4, 2009.

1. vtb2005

vtb2005 MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    try this : Winphlash.exe /spi /bbl /sd BIOS.WPH

2. Shadow Wizard

Shadow Wizard MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2010
    #22 Shadow Wizard, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
    It says /sd and /spi are unknown parameters.
    With only /bbl parameter process was the same - winphlash reported "flashed successfully" directly after 3rd stage and without real re-flashing BIOS at all.

:(

3. tazbo28

tazbo28 MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2011
    Problems

Hello there,

I know this is really old, but i am trying to get into a bios that has been password locked so i can boot from usb to install win7 on a sony vaio pcg frv25. old laptop. dont know the bios password and people have said that the bios password is on an eprom, which i dont have the resources or time to get to. I was wondering if forcing the computer to flash another bios version or maybe even just the same version over again may reset the bios so there is no password. if that will work i would greatly appreciate if you could mod the winphlash tool for this particular model. thanks

4. fincsher

fincsher MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2011
    Congrats you have made it.. Sorry I am late.. You already did it.. Any other problem? You can consult it to me.. :D

5. leebb

leebb MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    This was really really helpful with my old laptop Sony S36C, I would just use it as a spare win xp notebook.

6. leebb

leebb MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    On 13 floor, the winPhlash did the job to flash Bios with slic2.1 at the same bios version.

7. ThatIdiot

ThatIdiot MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2011
    #28 ThatIdiot, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
    Hey Guys,

The name explains me.

I had the same problem where my Sony Vaio BIOS was randomly corrupted and the System Info in the BIOS, now says Machine Name - Reserved and Serial Number - Reserved. Therefore, the drivers and Sony flash utility for the BIOS won't work. If I reflash with the latest firmware (in force mode,) will it fix my System Info, so I can System Restore and use OEM drivers?

This is the firmware link - esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNBX540B&upd_id=2250&os_group_id=13

I will do some searching on WinPhlash and how to use it, but if anyone can explain how to do this step by step I would appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance. It seems the BIOS corruption I am experiencing is common... is it rigged this way?

**(I just tried reading the beginner's tutorial and felt so stupid. I am just trying to fix my sister's laptop.)

*** For anyone who searches this post and has the same "reserved" issue. Flashing your BIOS will not fix it. This is a problem with the DMI/tattooing of the motherboard. It's not suppose to corrupt, but it did. Sony should take responsibility for it. Their latest firmware addresses this, but it came out when people were past their warranty anyway.

8. James D

James D MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2011
    need to flash same version. But my bios is AMI efi.

HI, are you still here? I have Sony VAIO f12 and I have BIOS exe file. I extracted all files from it and have 1 2MB ROM file not including other files. I already edited it myself (and hope I did it fine).
    My BIOS is AMI efi. It uses WBFlash 1.2. But also I saw flupdate tools there.

How can I make it flash the same version? please?

Attached Files:

9. mr.jake.hook

mr.jake.hook MDL Novice

Apr 17, 2012
    could you do the same for a hp xw9300 motherboard (it is a tyan k8we s2895)? I can't flash the tyan bios on this mobo, even if it is made by tyan. But it has benn customized for hp...thank you!

10. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    Can you explain this "platform signature not found in bios" any further ?

Was it an original, downloadable BIOS from the SONY site that gave this error ? Or a modded BIOS ?

I have used IDA Pro like 15 years ago and it sounds interesting what you found regarding the froce option. Mind explainign any further ? :)