** Experimental method to insert nVidia SLI certificate into the BIOS **

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by andyp, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    SLI only works if you have the same numbers, those 2 cards will not work in sli.

PS: Why got this topic moved ????

2. genuineintel

genuineintel MDL Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Seems that BIOS is getting fatter and fatter. Don't know what M$ will put into BIOS for OEM of Windows 8/9/.....

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    BIOS will become obsolete. UEFI firmware will be then :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    Happy to help

5. Snypertodd

Snypertodd MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2009
    Alright, I don't claim to be an expert in this kind of thing, but I am fearless and I love to learn new things :D . I've got a Foxconn BlackOps and 2 8800GTs, so I would love to get this working. If I do, I'll post benchmarks here. The thing is, I can't get the SLIC tool to successfully mod the BIOS file. If I use SSV3 or OEM7, I get the error "EPA module must directly follow ACPI module." If I use 0+2 I get "Unable to shrink main module." It's probably something simple, but I don't have enough experience or knowledge here to troubleshoot this myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

6. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    Can I have a link to the BIOS.

Andy

7. Snypertodd

Snypertodd MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2009
    Sorry Andy, I meant to include a link to it in my original post, and totally forgot to. Yeah, that's the one. I am on Win7 x64, but I'm dual-booting with 32-bit XP, so I'll use that for now since it'll be simpler. If I use the modified HAL for Win7, I won't need the modified drivers, right? Or am I totally off the mark? Is there a downside to doing it that way? I'm downloading the modded XP drivers right now, I'll try it that way first. Like I said, I'm just learning about this side of things. I've focused more on the hardware/overclocking side before now. Thanks for your help and patience...

8. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    Correct. For any OS you need EITHER the modded drivers OR the modded HAL.

For x64 you also need test mode and to sign the modded driver.

Andy

9. Snypertodd

Snypertodd MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2009
    Okay, I made an attempt on Friday (23rd), but no success. The system recognized both cards no problem when they were installed without the bridge, but when I installed the bridge and booted up, one card always said "This device cannot start" in device manager. I didn't have much time with the other 8800GT, so I couldn't really troubleshoot it. So, I talked my wife into letting me buy my own second 8800GT tonight, and I'll try again when it gets here. Estimated delivery date is next Monday, so I'll keep you guys posted. If you have any ideas what the problem may be, I'm all ears.

Thanks

10. gooze72

gooze72 MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2009
    Interersting. THX

11. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    x64 or x32??

Andy

12. Snypertodd

Snypertodd MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2009
    #77 Snypertodd, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
    The failed attempt was on Windows XP 32-bit with modded drivers. The screenshot I posted above is Windows 7 x64 in test mode with the modded HAL. I'm planning on using Win7 x64 for the next attempt on Monday when the new 8800GT gets here.

13. Snypertodd

Snypertodd MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2009
    No success again. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. No matter what I do, I don't have an option to enable SLI in nVidia Control Panel. However, unlike last time, both cards show up in Device Manager and there are no errors associated with them, with or without the bridge. I tried adding "NvCplEnableMultiGPUConfigurationPage" in the NVTweak Key in the registry. I tried enabling test mode. I reinstalled the newest nVidia drivers with both cards installed. I'm at a loss here. I'm sure whatever I'm doing wrong is really simple, but I have no idea. I've got the modified HAL for Windows 7 x64. Everest and CPU-z both report the chipset as X58, and everest shows the SLI cert in the DSDT table. Any suggestions? I'd really like to get this going...

14. Snypertodd

Snypertodd MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2009
  15. Snypertodd

Snypertodd MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2009
    #80 Snypertodd, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009