Explorer.exe crashing all the time

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Patricko, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Patricko

Patricko MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    Like I said, problem occurs on Vistax64 with SP2 (downloaded straight from MS site), and on Windows7 x64.

I scanned RAM and HDD with memtest86 and HDD Regenerator.
    Everything took about 3hours, and there wasnt even 1 error and bad sector.
    So I think its not a hardware error.
    Whats more, I was working on this notebook with this Vista x64 (with SP1), for about few months, and there wasnt any problems.
    I just said that problem started when I installed SP2, but I didnt said that SP2 is making it. Im just thinking loudly :)

Maybe some background application, or process that is hidden.

But please, dont leave me with that. I really hope that finally we can solve this problem.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes you are right, I thought it is a HW related issue, too. But he said he has got no problems before the SP2....

org:
    'Problem with explorer.exe started when I installed Service Pack 2 for the Vista.'

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    Maybe a driver bug, a software bug (like firewall, antivirus) or old codecs?

4. Patricko

Patricko MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    Im trying to update all drivers right now.
    Ive got one old graphic driver (179.13), and Im downloading now 186.03 version.
    But I installed it before and when I started the Aero theme, system was crashing after few minutes. But those drivers were from laptopvideo2go site, and they were modified a little.
    Now Im downloading from official Nvidia site.

We will see.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Just boot into save mode and have a look if explorer still crashes;)
    Save mode--->basic drivers

Why not a clean install to know if it's SP2 related??? Easy!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ph03n!x

ph03n!x MDL Member

Apr 21, 2008
    This definitely is a weird one :)

Try a fresh install- do not install any drivers or antivirus (and do NOT connect to the internet or use other USB devices or CD you are not sure of!!)

See if all works fine for some time- i know there is not much you can do, but still...

Then start off with your fav antivirus, and use the computer after installing and updating it.

Do this for every app and driver- install, try it out for a while and then go to the next.

I know it is clumsy, but since reinstalling doesn't fix the prob, i cant think of anything else :)

7. Patricko

Patricko MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    First I will try the Safe Mode. If the problem will still occur I wil be very confused.
    At the end I will try clean installation from beggining.

Maybe I will try to format whole hard drive, not just one partition.
    With the normal format mode (but I didnt saw it in Win7 installation, how to do it?).
    I know there was normal format mode in XP boot disc, but in Vista/Win7 I didnt saw it?
    Or Im blind, what is more probably :)

But first I need to backup whole files, and this will take some time.

8. bgage

bgage MDL Senior Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Do you mean "normal format mode" = format the disk without quick format?
    I don't think you can do that with Win7 installation disc... You have to use 3rd party software to do that...

Usually when something strange happens to my computer I do :
    - Shutdown the computer
    - Take out the Memory modules
    - Take out the Graphic Card
    - Cleaning the connector on Memory/Graphic card and mainboard with Contact Cleaner
    - Reseated again the Memory and Graphic card
    - Boot up the computer

80% the "stranger" is gone :D

Hopefully this trick can solve your problem.. who knows ;)

9. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    #29 HSChronic, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
    it is something you installed. Is your copy of Vista from a trusted source not a hacked all in one activated for you and full of malware copy?

When does this start happening? Right out of the box or does it take time? What have you installed when it starts happening?

Hmm if it just started happening a few days ago it is your hardware. If you are doing clean installs and it just starts to crash then something is overheating. I would feel the bottom of your computer but it sounds like a CPU or Hard Drive is overheating.

10. minoverta

minoverta MDL Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Version 7600.16385 64 bit have a problem with explorer. By me it crashed too and wurser, after the crash i restarted my system and hangs for ages on the welcomescreen. I tride to do everything but Windows past away :( With version 7600.16384 64 bit i have had no problem. Now i installed 7600.16385 32 bit and works like a charm.

11. zwaldowski

zwaldowski MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2009
    Windows Explorer randomly crashes for me as well, but nothing else. My HDD and RAM are fine (tests run on both, including MemTest86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic, along w/ chkdisk). It's happened every since I started using the RC (7100) straight from MS.

12. tomorrow

tomorrow MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2008
    I had some weird CPU usage problems with 7232 x64 some time back

For no apparent reson after some restarts explorer.exe was using 50% CPU all the time.Naturally this pretty much screwed explorer usage.Couldnt even open control panel :confused:

I never figured out what was causing it but strage coinsidence that it was also x64 build(tho older then 7600 here).

Luckly it was just a test install to test how my sofware was working on x64.And since it was on a separate partition then i had no problems getting it out after i was done.

13. Patricko

Patricko MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
  14. Aerowinder

Aerowinder MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2008
    Try uninstalling KAV/KIS 2010. I suspect it's at fault for my shell crashes via the context menu.

15. Patricko

Patricko MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    Tommorow I will make low level format.
    Than I will install Win7 on the clean disc.
    Lets hope it will helps somehow.

16. Patricko

Patricko MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    Nothing helped...
    Zero-Fill and clean install...
    I also turned off "Virtualization Tech" for CPU in BIOS.
    But still problem occured. Even on clean Windows7.

I will install now old XP, and we will see...
    If problem will be also there...than I dont know...if not hdd, and not ram, what can it be?
    I think its not CPU, its not overheating, Ive got temperatures about 35C and its working normaly.

17. yaluza1967

yaluza1967 MDL Member

Jun 6, 2009
    why don't try x86 windows seven 7600 for see, take one hour , i saw somewhere a guy who try 32 bit without crash explorer...

good luck !

18. Patricko

Patricko MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    Just as I tought.
    Everything seems to be working fine on XP.
    Maybe there really was something wrong in those newer Windows'es.
    I will stay with XP until full version of Windows7 comes up.
    Than we will se if the problem occurs...but please...I hope they will fix it somehow!

Thx everyone for helping! At least we were trying to get rid of that problem.
    But if someone have some new ideas please write it.
    Maybe someone know how to solve that problem once and for all.

19. SeventhUser

SeventhUser MDL Junior Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Do not disable DEP, especially since you have no idea what it is. Data Execution Prevention does what its name says, it prevents data to be executed as code. If DEP is causing a program to crash, then it's a very badly written program or more probably an attack on your system.