Facebook, "social" network? Think again.

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by ancestor(v), Jan 9, 2016.

1. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The group feeling which is created by registering at one special platform is sold as social aspect/togetherness, as a thing which unites.
    Here means social to have a bunch of people which are all dependent on one service/company with a capitalistic policy. This is best for the company to have most of control while the others still have the idea of togetherness.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    I will never been on them,i don't want to expose my life.
    It's simply business, like a lot of others

windsman.

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    It has its uses. I've used facebook to connect with people from my past. But only as a last resort.
    I immediately deleted my account afterwards.

That was a few years ago.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #5 Yen, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    Some friends of mine had to leave their home (country) Argentina in the late 70s/80s.....
    Thanks to Facebook they were able to find friends again. They use it to communicate.
    To find old friends via 'social' network is a good thing, especially when one had to leave the home....

No Facebook/Twitter/instagram /whatsapp....I personally have no use for them/ use alternatives.
    AFAIK to delete on Facebook means not visible to you anymore. In fact nobody can delete...

6. joeyjoey

joeyjoey MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2016
    Lots of lives have been ruined by facebook.

7. romanreings

romanreings MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2016
    #7 romanreings, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    Facebook :- It is a Corporation and Online Social Networking Service Headquartered in "Menlo Park, California" in the "United States". Its Website was Launched on February 4, 2004 by "Mark Zuckerberg" with his Harvard Collage Roommates and Fellow Students "Eduardo Saverin", "Andrew McCollum", "Dustin Moskovitz" and "Chris Hughes". The Founders had Initially Limited the Websites Membership to Harvard Students, but Later Expanded it to Collages in the Boston Area, the "Ivy League" and "Stanford University". It Gradually Added Support for Students at Various other Universities and Later to High - Schools Students. Since 2006, anyone who is At Least 13 Years Old was Allowed to become a Registered User of the Website, though the Age Requirement may be Higher Depending on Applicable Local Laws. Its Name Comes from the "Facebook Directories" often given to American University Students.

8. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    It's not always social networks which are 'evil', your ISP can look exactly at everything what you click/like and whatever via deep package inspection and this is nothing new. They using and selling such statistics.

The thing is that tracking is not in general always bad, it's an compromise because laziness of us all. We want fast and good search results, good content and more. So this only can be done by tracking because otherwise no one would spent the time and fill in documents the entire day long.

I think we must differ and not re-spell the wrong things over and over, because at one point it helps and I have not really a problem with it as long my private data itself are untouched. The problem I see is that's difficult to opt-out because it should be better mentioned for normal users how and in some cases it's impossible, if you use and want social media you have to deal with it. Just not post everything and use it with caution. There is no reasons e.g. to say I'm in holidays on xyz and then post next how where you live, this is an invitation for hackers/thieves.

9. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #9 timesurfer, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    Facebook:

"Look what I'm doing today, I'm going to the grocery store"

"Oh look Bobby is at Burrito Palace and he got the Veggie burrito"

"Wow Mary is getting a manicure and saw Bobby going to get burrito"

"Mary and Bobby are now at the cafe, oh my god they see their friend Jimmy"

"OMG, everybody check out this you tube video of a cat playing with a toy, OMG"

Sometimes is just seems like a high school popularity contest with who has the neatest stuff to share... Like a place for insecure people to brag or be the most watched, kinda a little creepy actually :eek:

Can anyone say Facebook co-dependence disorder (FCD) :rolleyes:

Seriously, this is too much interaction, sharing and monitoring of each other. I feel like it actually kinda drains or pulls people from there real lives. Maybe it's a great way to invite people to parties but just too much maintenance for me. It's like lets actually do something in the real world...

:shisha:

10. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I guess this have nothing much to do with monitoring each other, because you have the ability to set people to ignore or hide the entire content, the thing is that's like Win 10, people never read and then we get the spying hype.

As mentioned the search engines, social networks and other pages need feedback to improve stuff, the thing which is really something to complain about is that a) you can't delete it from there own servers b) they make money with your data (which can't be opt-out c) lack of opt-in/opt-out options which could solve most problems.

I would't say everything is automatically evil or 'creepy' it's more of how do you handle all this, I bet most parents don't know what the kids posting or doing on such pages because lack of interest, time reasons or simply not care or have the knowledge. The best someone can do is to inform others and show your kids what is dangerous and then most of such things would never happen.

In the school you learn a lot of 'useless' things but the real-world things is a another story, I don't have any kids but I know from my school times that one of my wish was to show more about real-world problems and how to solve them.

Please no stinky smoke in this thread. :p

11. Tarwin

Tarwin MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2014
    I've never found Facebook to be that social anyway. It seems more designed for exposition than social interaction. Forums like this are more social in my opinion (even fi I don't really know who any of the people are...)

12. BjourneMun

BjourneMun MDL Member

Apr 8, 2015
    "Life is an open book"..well somebody said that..I can't remember but our lives need not to be an open book to the world especially those that do ot know us personally or those who we do not know literally. Privacy has really gone down to drain nowadays that we need to be very careful and scrutinize all that we do. We can't take back what we have posted there in facebook. They make money out of our data. By not being extra carefull people fall to thieves there. Exploitation is open there. I learned the hard way sometime late 2012 so I quit facebook. But the fact that I cant erase tha data I posted there makes me frown. So we have to be very carefull and to facebook..well..MORE security for the users and maybe you can share the money from what you get fromt he gazillion data that you make money from!!! Free giveaway/software from you can't hurt...

13. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep I agree 100% dude, myself have problems to cancel my account some year ago then I nevermore think nothing about facebook that another man that think only in $$$$$ very $$$$$$ and also I hate it :sneaky::mad:

14. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    facebook will be a graveyard before long.. every year users die, and there are millions of users,all their data wont get deleted anytime soon; after all who knows their passwords.. it was in the news somewhere, i forget where.it will become extinct. ;)