Fav quotes...

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by gorski, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    "The first sip from the cup of science makes atheist, but at the bottom of the cup God is waiting." Translated from German ~Werner Heisenberg.

25 years ago I had laughed about. Now I know what all good scientists have (had) in common. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    All good scientists? Depends who judges... :D

If I were an atheist I would possibly say, similarly to you, "...all bad scientists"... :D

But I am an agnostic, so I laugh at both of you... :D :D :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

Sure. :biggrin: It depends ever on who judges.

It is a desirable philosophical goal of life, to laugh at others? Didn't know... :D

4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    Bill Cosby :D

5. alicepattinson

alicepattinson MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Oh yeah! so true

6. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    The mind is a terrible master, but a wonderful servant.

7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    No, it is not but it is necessary sometimes... :D However, you missed the point, again... :D Theists/atheists are different faces of the same coin and therefore... :D

8. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    hm.. i dunno gorski.. ;) i think i actually understand what you are trying to say. the theist cannot exist without the atheist. and vice-versa.. they are each others` slaves.. but do they belong here, i wonder?

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    It's only a light hearted joke in the spirit of the thread, m8...:cool:

But if we are serious, the point about those two opposites is that either of them can't prove their arguments conclusively and hence we, the agnostics, have a bit of a laugh from the sidelines of their dispute, while trying to bother with the stuff that really matters, like what do we do with our world, how do we behave, how should we live, what is good behaviour, how to treat the other, what is socially just in a set of given circumstances etc. etc.;)

10. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Bruce Lee..

11. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    a man who casts no shadow has no soul...

12. moon510

moon510 MDL Junior Member

May 10, 2007
    "Remember that no man loses any other life than this which he now lives, nor lives any other than this which he now loses."

Marcus Aurelius

13. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Fear of things invisible is the natural seed of that which
    every one in himself calleth religion.
    Thomas Hobbes,
    Leviathan (1651)

14. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    “The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.”
    Gautama Buddha

15. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems

16. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Malcolm X: "A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything."

Voltaire:
    "Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do."

Jesse Jackson:
    "Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping him up."

17. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    "A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. "
    Albert Einstein

18. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    "Rule of thumb–every time Microsoft use the word 'smart,' be on the lookout for something dumb."
    John Walker :D

19. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    "I foresee a universal information system (UIS), which will give everyone access at any given moment to the contents of any book that has ever been published or any magazine or any fact. The UIS will have individual miniature-computer terminals, central control points for the flood of information, and communication channels incorporating thousands of artificial communications from satellites, cables, and laser lines. Even the partial realization of the UIS will profoundly affect every person, his leisure activities, and his intellectual and artistic development. Unlike television...the UIS will give each person maximum freedom of choice and will require individual activity. But the true historic role of the UIS will be to break down the barriers to the exchange of information among countries and people."

Andrej Dmitrijewitsch Sacharow, 24.August 1974

20. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    I take no responsibility for accuracy of these. Nor do I agree to all of them. Some of them still are brilliant, despite of the occasional stupidity of the author. :p

Albert Einstein:

- The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
    - Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.
    - Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them.
    - Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former.
    - Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
    - I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    - Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
    - You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother.
    - Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invaribly they are both disappointed.
    - If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?
    - The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    - I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
    - Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
    - Life isn't worth living, unless it is lived for someone else.
    - A theory is something nobody believes, except the person who made it. An experiment is something everybody believes, except the person who made it.
    - Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
    - I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.
    - If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.
    - The important thing is not to stop questioning.
    - The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.
    - Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love.
    - Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.
    - At any rate, I am convinced that he [God] does not play dice.
    - Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age 18.
    - Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater.
    - With fame I become more and more stupid, which of course is a very common phenomenon.
    - As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.
    - When a blind beetle crawls over the surface of a curved branch, it doesn't notice that the track it has covered is indeed curved. I was lucky enough to notice what the beetle didn't notice.
    - God is subtle but he is not malicious.
    - Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity.
    - Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible player.