Firefox is changing

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 17, 2017.

1. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
  2. Nethan

Nethan MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2012
    Its friend, not its rival. I mean, removing XUL to use Webextensions who can be launched on Chrome and getting a Chrome-like UI in the same time, well... I should just use Chrome instead, at least this one is faster.

FF 57 is going to be so similar to Chrome that many users won't see the difference and switch to Chrome once this one will be installed on their computers. You know, with Avast or a Flash Update or whatever virus-like method that Google love to use to get Chrome installed everywhere. This new UI will be the downfall of Firefox.

I am going to use Waterfox instead, as it should keep XUL for a time. After that, I don't know, maybe Vivaldi as it is pretty similar of Opera 12 who was the best browser in history, for me at least.

3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep MJ I also look there I like very much your features and most amazing thing I like is when I pass mouse over lines above

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I have been trying out other browser for last few years and found them no real replacement for Ff.

Yesterday I installed slimjet, and find it surprisingly good, apart from a few so far unimportant glitches. Does anbody know more about it? I cannot really set up my own search engines, or saving the logins...

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @ ThomasMann, well I also like very much this browser very fast and low consumption of memory and for search engines I don't see issues; one only thing I don't like is annoiyng pop-pup warning about donation to developer from translator maybe I need more some days for post my verdict and conclusions

7. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Switched to Waterfox before it was mentioned in this post. Very nice, faster for me than the original, easy to switch over. It may stay in the traditional format for years so I will stay with it for now.

8. mal

mal MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2012
    Firefox has Tab mix plus as an add-on. I havent found any other browser with the power and usability of this feature. :)

9. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    I wish Firefox to do well in the future but I will probably stay with Cent Browser.

10. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I find little bits here and there that need clearing up by slimjet, and having search machines at my disposal is an essential one of those.
    But what I absolutely dislike is finding an "Amazon" button in my toolbar this morning.! That stuff changes without my doing is not acceptable and that it is Amazon will be deal breaker, unless it can be fixed. The list of search engines offered as "my choice" was bad enough....

11. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ok but you can change this behavior only using little icon (Menu) on right side in there have a lot of settings so you change as necessary myself don't have nothing about Amazon and al and for search default I believe that works fine as I already tell I'm still testing this browser in overall I like it :)

12. Korvar

Korvar MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2016
    Due to these trends with FF, I've also been researching browser alternatives as of late, and my findings have been less than encouraging. All of the potentially viable alternatives seem to be built on Chromium, which still ties into the Google ecosystem.

Apple's "we know what's best for you" attitude seems to be infecting the entire valley.

13. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
  14. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi John, I like very much your explanations in your post about Palemoon browser

15. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Chromium is a good, fast engine, superior to Firefox and its clones. It's only disadvantage is that its widespread implementation as Chrome is subject to Google's spying and manipulation. There are however alternative implementations not under Google's control. I personally use Opera, there are others.

16. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I agree, Palemoon is one to watch, I will look at it again in the future. When I tried it a few years ago I also found it inadequate but things change.

17. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep I think that all things in this world always change, no doubt :)

18. Aardvarkly

Aardvarkly MDL Junior Member

May 31, 2015
    Having read the entire thread I was wondering what it is about Firefox that caused some posters to abandon it and slag it off so bitterly. I have always found it worked fine for me and I have half a dozen add ons that I will really miss if they don't work with the new version. If there is something else that works as well, allows a bit of customization, and is free of adware and spying I would like to give it a try. My needs are simple. I don't need the latest, all singing, all dancing, flashing lights and a cluttered user interface. I also don't want it doing things all over my PC without my permission. Yeah. I'm old fashioned. I value my privacy.

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I'll stick to firefox at home. I guess the plugin maker will make most important plugins compatible. Ghostery, a uBlock alternative is made for it already.