Firefox is changing

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    @ThomasMann I mainly use Chrome or Chromium, but when I do use Firefox I use the standard x64 version. I have no reason for an "optimized" version because it's plenty fast enough on my hardware.

The last time I tested Pale Moon it had an old Firefox UI and it didn't work well on Windows tablets. Moving forward you'll also find it difficult to get plugin updates too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Palemoon (while great) seems to present odd behaviour with versios sites that do work in Chrome or plain FF
    Of course you can hardly get support for PM (it is a single bloke doing it!)

Eventually it will just die. I am seriously going to move away from it if it carries on like that
    And it is only tied to Windows...

4. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.

But experience has taught me that change is often not for the better, software included. Innumerable aps I used to like got messed up by new versions making them heavy and cluttered, often also removing useful features. First on the list is Windows, 10 lacking many of the functional features of XP, adding spying in their place, while the next major update in the fall will remove or freeze many features, including the system image backup I use.

The first such example I came across was the old Winamp that started off as an elegant media player. But they kept making it heavier and slower, till many videos wouldn't play properly on my limited hardware. Then they had to abandon it altogether.

Such experiences makes me less than optimistic about Firefox.

The main objective of software developers is to progressively increase the program’s size and complexity till it becomes unusable. (Katzenfreund)

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Or off-licenses who "don't have any pennies left", or freezer shops with 16 year old punks on the till

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ok I understand and agree with you and when M$ start with W8/W8.1 your vision was changed totally imo as specie of dream is clearly to see related to mobile devices and more then seem is one very good idea but unfortunately M$ inflate O.S. with a lot of bloatware and useless "things" that common user don't need or don't want for default so require knowledge to modify O.S. to stay "usable" and finally this history related to M$ "need" know severals informations about use of O.S. for "IMPROVE" O.S. haha is only spyware I believe that till little kid know about this behavior unfortunately is this today; W10 really is excelent O.S. no doubt but if not tweaked is better move to open source and for Firefox for me sounds strange so today I'm running Slimjet and no issues is only my 2 cents ;)

7. wyatt23

wyatt23 MDL Member

Apr 2, 2017
    And the prize for The Funniest Quote Of The Day goes to Katzenfreund. :haha:

8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Sorry, I must have expressed that wrongly...
    Optimized for me has nothing to do with speed. Why would waiting three seconds longer be a problem?
    The problem is that with every update another add on I use daily no longer works. Or, that Ff does not freeze because I have those add ons and 15 tabs open, but because of its "improvements". It never did that until a few months ago. But, which is exactly what it does now, and I have to close Ff clear the cache completely and restart. Another "improvement" that the developers have added, that on the ESR chanel which makes less problems, I no longer can check the cookies f.e. third party cookies, and I no longer can switch between a regulat and a VPN connection. I have to close firefox clean it with ccleaner and réstart it. I could go on....

The point is that NONE of these problem about three months ago.
    I agree with you on Palemoon, I tried it twice and uninstalled it twice...
    Slimjet is a bit better, but also causes problems which Ff does not, and anyway: it is Google.

The problem is not that I have to use detours and backroads when I use the net. It is all so unnecessary, because these things serve Mozilla and the jobs there, and not the users. Its a now bloated piece of ........

9. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Honestly, I personally don't have any of them issues. Everything loads fast, there's no freezes and I can't remember the last time Firefox has crashed. I only use a few addons though (I mentioned some of them in my previous post) and they're already working with Firefox nightly builds.

Maybe you're getting freezes due to e10s and a buggy plugin? I'm actually curious as to what plugins you'd normally use.

10. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Many, many years ago, when I knew even less than today, I tried Winamp for a while, then someone told my about VLC, and I never looked back, it even converts stuff...
    Installing Win10.... were you forced to use it?

"The main objective of software developers is to progressively increase the program’s size and complexity till it becomes unusable."

I am not so sure about that... I believe that Ff could easily be maintained as it is, its security improved when necessary,all done by a handful of people. But Mozilla is a huge corporation by now. And profit or no-profit, your wages always depend on the amount of money you take in. So if a horde of "developers" has to be paid handsomely, then you need to show "improvements" that attract more users and raise advertising income.
    And we all know that their market share has fallen sharply to 6%, so they are getting desperate. Which is the obvious reason for the present campaign.
    What does that retarded new logo tell you? What kind of users are they trying to attract?

Another problem is that the 6% means that the 94% users are using other browsers, f.e. the ones from Google, and you you know what that means, don't you?

So basically hoping for any kind of improvement of the browser situation seems wasting my time with wishful thinking.
    On top of that, we will soner or later be faced with total net control by ALL governments who can get their hands of the becessary software. Time is on their side and total surveillance is no longer avoidable. It is just a question of time. We would need a simplex like for Win7 for EVERY software to prevent it....
    The Golden Age of Internet will only last a short time.....

11. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Many, many years ago, when I knew even less than today, I tried Winamp for a while, then someone told my about VLC, and I never looked back, it even converts stuff...
    Installing Win10.... were you forced to use it?

"The main objective of software developers is to progressively increase the program’s size and complexity till it becomes unusable."

I am not so sure about that... I believe that Ff could easily be maintained as it is, its security improved when necessary,all done by a handful of people. But Mozilla is a huge corporation by now. And profit or no-profit, your wages always depend on the amount of money you take in. So if a horde of "developers" has to be paid handsomely, then you need to show "improvements" that attract more users and raise advertising income.
    And we all know that their market share has fallen sharply to 6%, so they are getting desperate. Which is the obvious reason for the present campaign.
    What does that retarded new logo tell you? What kind of users are they trying to attract?

Another problem is that the 6% means that the 94% users are using other browsers, f.e. the ones from Google, and you you know what that means, don't you?

So basically hoping for any kind of improvement of the browser situation seems wasting my time with wishful thinking.
    On top of that, we will soner or later be faced with total net control by ALL governments who can get their hands of the becessary software. Time is on their side and total surveillance is no longer avoidable. It is just a question of time. We would need a simplex like for Win7 for EVERY software to prevent it....
    The Golden Age of Internet will only last a short time.....

12. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I am using VLC and Shockwave plugin

Add-ons:
    Adblock plus
    Disable webRTC
    Disconnect
    FLashGot
    IdmIntegration
    IM TRanslator
    Morning Coffee
    Strict Pop Up Blocker

13. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Uninstall these 3 and install uBlock Origin. Next go into the plugins settings and select the following.
    1. Prevent WebRTC from leaking local IP address
    2. uBlock Protector List
    3. Basic tracking list by Disconnect
    4. Malvertising list by Disconnect
    5. Malware filter list by Disconnect
    Morning Coffee hasn't been updated since 2014, but I'd expect everything else to get an update.

14. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  15. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    #56 hearywarlot, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    I really hope in the end Mozilla will expand the web-extensions API to allow modification of some UI and some other things previously possible with XUL.
    I am happy Web-Extensions allow add-ons to survive updates (every slightly big update breaks add-ons) and electrolysis helps with freezing tabs and sand-boxing.

Though I hope this will not be the last noticeable thing that will be left.

If not, Firefox may be well Chrome alike, except slightly more customizable, easier available on several devices, but slower to respond on bringing new web standards.
    At least it will not be by Google, but then why use Android if your avoiding them?

In the meanwhile, Brave Browser and Vivaldi have a pretty good future.

I will miss Beyond Australis and Grab and Drag.
    Btw, does anyone remember FoxTab?

16. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you, made all the changes except for "Prevent WebRTC from leaking local IP address". Could not find it anywhere.... ?

There is an extra button for update on that plug in list. I suppose that is only meant for the first set up, and after that updates are automatic?

Can I activate some any of the social sites blocking lists, as I do NEVER use any? There is some warning....

Should I activate French, German, Japanese, and Hindi language filters?

Thanks once, I hope you answer my questions, but will anyway "report on progress" in a few days.

17. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    When viewing the plugins dashboard click on the settings tab and look under "Privacy".

You shouldn't have to press "Update now" if you're actively using the browser often. It'll update the filters on it's own.

Sure you can. I believe the warnings there to tell you that it'll break facebook based comments, apps and games.

Personally I've never needed to.

18. shewolf

shewolf MDL Senior Member

Apr 16, 2015
    #59 shewolf, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Access to this post is restricted!
    You're trying to open the post, written by @shewolf,
    but unfortunately it was marked as a draft (by the user himself or the UFO)
    :eek:

19. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009