Windows Update MiniTool

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by shewolf, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Grywald

Grywald MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2014
    At the first I am sorry @erpsterm35 for my very late answer, I was absent for a long time.

Finally I have a good news. Because the trouble has vanished after 2 or 3 weeks... I don't understand the cause but at least, now the Windows Update MiniTool seem's to work fine again.
    No I haven't met any trouble to install the update(s) published this month (september 2018).

2. shewolf

shewolf MDL Senior Member

Apr 16, 2015
    #922 shewolf, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    (OP)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. shewolf

Apr 16, 2015
    #923 shewolf, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    (OP)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. shewolf

Apr 16, 2015
    #924 shewolf, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    (OP)
  5. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos MDL Senior Member

May 23, 2010
    Why are you so angry on WuMgr?
    I mean its not competing with any current tool, WUMT wasn't updated for two years it does not even try to compete.

And WuMgr provides new functionality, like the option to auto download the wsusscn2.cab for "offline" updates, or being able to download found updates without the use of wuauserv,
    it also is able to search for updates if so configured in preset intervals, this is useful when normal windows update is disabled using the standard GPO (Enterprice) or the newer GPO's WUMT does not support (Pro/Home).

Whats your interest in keeping an outdated tool artificially current?

6. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    @DavidXanatos There is nothing you can say, nothing you can do. shewolf apparently has free reign at MDL to s**t on anyone's thread. I've reported shewolf to the admins, and they just look the other way. So all you can do is put this person on ignore, because the admins aren't going to do a god damn thing about it.
    Also, you're trying to use reasoning with an insane person. That never works. You'll just drive yourself crazy trying to reason with them.

7. shewolf

Apr 16, 2015
    #927 shewolf, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    (OP)
  8. shewolf

Apr 16, 2015
    #928 shewolf, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    (OP)
    I wish you many more wet dream. :laie:

9. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    Then why are you calling them placebos?
    I mean WuMgr can do more than WUMT, that is a fact, so it has a measurable effect hence it's not a placebo, as simple as that.
    Calling a thing something its not is a typical dialectic strategy if one has for some non rational reasons resentments against that thing.

What is your stake in WUMT I think its time for you to disclose that information, if you would just have been promoting it because it gives you functionality you always wanted but couldn't implement yourself, you would not be so negative if an other free alternative comes around.
    You would be genuinely happy to have an other tool that fulfills your update needs.
    Instead you seam to be hostile and keep promoting an outdated product.
    For me this strongly hints on you having some alternative motive, may be you are the author behind WUMT just have choose a new nick for this board.
    Or possibly you are just enjoying the attention evangelizing for WUMT gives you.
    If its the latter that you don't have to worry, you can also evangelize for WuMgr.

10. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Nope. I emailed (exchanged messages) the author in the past and he's a nice person. He also sent me a personal picture with friends in a park in his native Russia. Actually I still have his email.
    This is the reason behind. I'm 99.9% sure.

11. shewolf

Apr 16, 2015
    #931 shewolf, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    (OP)
  12. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    #932 DavidXanatos, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    If that is true, than you failed catastrophically at the task of spreading WUMT and furthering its adoption by the users.
    EDIT: And your statement is fundamentally wrong, its author obviously knows all its functions

Well, being able to download the wsusscn2.cab for "offline" search is new, WUMT cant do that, or can it?
    Or, auto start and search for updates periodically, if so chosen by the user, WUMT cant do that, or can it?
    Use additional GPO's to disable automatic windows update on Pro/Home windows 10 editions, WUMT cant do that, or can it?

What missing features are you referring to? The ability to color updates based on an ini file? I can easily add that if anyone uses this, anything else?

13. shewolf

Apr 16, 2015
    #933 shewolf, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    (OP)
    Read the first post above I only answer in specific matters, the trolls will be ignored.

:eek:

Control Windows Update :p :laie:

14. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    Many users used WuMgr and did not complain about any major functionality missing in comparison to WUMT,
    so whatever may be missing, if anything not yet mentioned is really missing apparently is useless to the users at large.

If you can't point to missing features than I call your bluff.

Proof or its fake news, as simple as that.

15. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    shewolf seems to be a real wacko. Probably best just to ignore her, since nothing good/positive seems to come from her.

16. Alfonico

Alfonico MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2018
    Hello

I just read the 48 pages of this thread.
    There is still something unclear for me (sorry about my limitations!).
    If I choose to "download only, not install" the selected update, how do I use the downloaded update ?
    Is there a way execute it from inside WUMT, or do I have to execute it from the folder C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download ?
    If I have to execute it outside WUMT, do I have to close WUMT ?
    If I execute it outside WUMT, will the update be taken into account by WU and therefore be shown as installed in WUMT ?

Thanks and regards

17. shewolf

Apr 16, 2015
    #937 shewolf, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    (OP)
    Run "Install" when you want to install what you download, or configure "Scheduled" to install downloaded in desired time.

Control Windows Update :p :laie:

18. Alfonico

Alfonico MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2018
    shewolf

Many thanks for the very fast reply.
    If my understanding is correct, then I need to switch to "scheduled", select the day and time at which the download and installation will happen, and then use "Install updates".
    What is then the use of "download only, not install" ?

Have a nice day.

19. shewolf

Apr 16, 2015
    #939 shewolf, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    (OP)
    Animated-award-sign-2.gif

When you choose "download only, not install", update are downloaded and nothing else is happening.
    The next time you want open WUMT run scan select the update found an select "Install" previous download (without re-downloading) will be installed.

2. When you choose "download only, not install", update are downloaded and nothing else is happening.
    Now select "scheduled", select the day and time at which the downloaded installation will happen.

Do not miss it

Control Windows Update :laie:

20. Alfonico

Alfonico MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2018
    shewolf

Many thanks, all clear now.
    WUMT will therefore cleverly use what has been already downloaded.

Have a nice day!