Flashing & Recovering Phoenix BIOS: Which Phlash? Which DOS?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by drool, Feb 27, 2010.

1. drool

drool MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2010
    #1 drool, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  2. drool

drool MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2010
    I stand corrected.

The last part of my previous post does correctly describe how to extract MS-DOS files from a Toshiba BIOS download but these appear to be OLD MS-DOS files. From 1994.

I should have realized something was not quite right when my USB stick could be formatted only to the original FAT file system format but not to FAT32.

My recollection is that there is a 512MB drive size limit for FAT. The HP USB Disk Storage Tool successfully formatted my 1GB USB memory stick, albeit to ~512MB, but my laptop couldn't boot off of it.

Oh well, nobody thought this thread was worth responding to anyway.

3. danjr

danjr MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2010
    Which Phlash? Which DOS?

I am actually curious about this same thing. I followed the same steps to try to recover an HP Dv9000, albeit using a self-extracting zip for the bios, and using another DOS version I had found while trying to recover a deleted partition table (ugh).
    Although, the version of DOS I used had no HIMEM running (at least as far as I could tell, no config.sys or autoexec.bat), when I ran phlash16, it errored out saying could not run alongside memory managers, like HIMEM... Trying to find a solution to this problem, but seems I will keep searching.

In other words, "bump".

4. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Are you sure there is no himem.sys running? By default Windows hides operating system files like config.sys. You'll have to adjust your folder viewing properties to display them & also display any hidden files too.

5. Japheth

Japheth MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2011
    flash your bios from vista/7 installation disc instead

You don't have to try flashing your bios with phlash16.exe from dos, which is quite hard coz of himem.sys or any mem manager that is booted together with win98boot etc.

here is what i did when i needed to flash my toshiba a200-24a with new bios ver.:

1. download winflash.exe and the bios *.rom file (usually it comes together in a single setup.exe file and copy it to usb flash drive (UFD) e.g. sandisk 2gb.
    2. boot from vista/7 installation CD or either WinPE/RE CD.
    3. when you get to "Install Now" window press SHIFT+F10 keys. and a command prompt will appear. (black window - commandline)
    4. look for you usb flash drive letter. e.g. c: or d: or e: etc..
    5. run setup.exe or winflash bios.rom (according to the manual)

now the flashing process will start!
    when finished Reboot.

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Dangerous!, install disk is not full Win32 system, so it might or might NOT work as designed

But it is you that take the risk after all...

sebus

7. pipeld

pipeld MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2015
    thanks a lot it helped me solving issues