FYI: Other tech companies also collect anonymous data from you and your devices

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by AcuraTML, Aug 19, 2015.

1. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    You are a fud monger at least. but anyway, Say hi to Faikee for me, I honestly do miss that guy. I enjoyed his posts.

2. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

You say hi to him yourself, he is around just you go figure that one out yourself....

3. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

This is not true. VPNs encrypt the data, yes, but your ISP can still "fingerprint" your traffic. Web browsing or streaming Netflix has a very, very different signature and behavior pattern than the Bittorrent protocol.
    So while your ISP cannot see WHAT you are torrenting, if they have DPI hardware installed (most large ISPs do) they can most definitely tell at a high-level what you're doing - Netflix, Bittorrent, etc.
    Think of it like this - if you wrap a bicycle and mail it to someone, the post office knows it's a bicycle. They don't know what brand it is and they can't see the serial number to determine if it's stolen, but they know you're sending a bike from your house to the destination address.
    This is why OpenVPN obsfucation can bypass the Great Firewall of China, it makes the traffic look random so it doesn't match the fingerprint patterns DPI hardware looks for. It would be like breaking the bike up into individual parts, then puting each part into a nondescript box, then wrapping and mailing those parts at random intervals.

Plus the NSA or any National Defence and Security of any Country have tools that can reverse any encryption in 2 to 3 seconds and "Bob Is Really Your Uncle"

There, you /all go with all your VPN crap you can run but not hide...

4. MrRTM

MrRTM MDL Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Unless you live under the rock or live in some cave; you should know that you are being: Watched, Monitored 24x7 where ever you go. Your phone, pc, internet, bank etc have been under scanner since the day you were born.

5. shanye

shanye MDL Junior Member

Jun 6, 2015
    How do you enjoy it?

6. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010

This is not true.....Many companies use vpn connections from users that work from home. There is nothing unusual about someone using VPN and it is not a reason for any ISP to flag

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #27 Yen, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Go back? Still using it...most companies are still using it. I do not need w10 for ego reasons to be 'up to date'..lol.

According to my definition of dead M$ was never alive at all. Never up to date just copying ideas others have realized ages ago, always being too late (apps, modern UI). w10 compared to competitor's products is actually dead as well so I can stick to w7. :D

All you need is an asymmetric end-to-end encryption. A VPN connection alone is not safe. The connection you-->ISP and the connection VPN server-->destination (web site) are not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. jasjeet

jasjeet MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2012
    #28 jasjeet, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    I thought il chime in since you guys are talking VPNs.

My setup involves a VPS outside my countries jurisdiction, which I run OpenVPN.

At home I run a Linux server running OpenVPN connected to my VPS. It's setup to forward packets from my LAN, and is the DHCP server on the LAN. This means all devices on the LAN receive their gateway address as the Linux machines IP, and I use Google DNS to avoid my ISP DNS.

Now as far as I am aware, using deep packet inspection, the ISP would only see HTTP requests to my VPN. They cannot identify any patterns in my data since it's all encrypted payloads which would look random. The data then comes back to me through the tunnel too.

The only spot to track me is by snooping the exit at the VPS provider, but unlikely my ISP are doing that, NSA maybe.

So for me I think it's quite a secure setup, anybody entering my home and connecting to my network automatically gets directed through my VPN tunnel.

Also after HMAC authentication, I use AES-256-CBC for symmetric encryption, which I dont believe even the NSA can break so easily.

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Sounds good. :)
    Finally it depends on the cooperation of secret services with ISPs. End-to-end would be safest in this regard.

When I am abroad I connect to my VPN server @home as well since I do not trust hotel wlan/ public spots. I use cisco like protocol IPSec XAuth PSK...
    For messages/data share I use end-to-end encrypted messenger.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. jasjeet

jasjeet MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2012
    Unfortunately we cannot change the relationship between ISP and intelligence agencies. So as we are doing, we just do the best we can on our side.

End to end would be great, I like the signal messenger app, but nobody I know uses it =\

11. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    The trend toward cloud integration is one thing, but the problem that a lot of people have is that they've made it too difficult to unplug.

In win8 it was relatively simple, although annoying. You simply did not run store apps and did not log onto ms account.

It SHOULD be that simple for win10.
    At the least, they should combine the program and app telemetry and give you the option to disable it in the settings app.

I don't know if any actual scientists use those cloud-ridden devices made from Apple, but anyone who knows anything about security knows that if something goes on the internet, it can be abused; without exception.

The good news is that with LTSB, you can at least disable telemetry via reg edit or gpo and it will be quiet as a church mouse. It still has a residual ping to bing via start menu, but that could probably be blocked by making an explorer.exe rule in firewall.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    M$ had to release ltsb for large corporate consumers to guaranty (more) corporate privacy. It's a branch where M$ makes most of their money, also due to monopoly situations.
    M$ makes money by selling enterprise and by selling private data gathered by the free upgrades. :D

13. david_xross_2

david_xross_2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 31, 2012
    I have read somewhere that this ping can be disabled by configuring like this :D

Attached Files:

14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    The start menu and its useless serch bar can be removed removing the the shell experience package, then just use classic shell or startisback, but likely the server style Start menu can be enabled as well, if someone figures out the right regedit place to tweak.

15. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

#36 AcuraTML, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2015
    (OP)
    Its a little more complicated then what you suggest.

Any current OS or the very first handshake of a brand new IP will have the known and unknow looking at it to check what this new connection and device is all about...

There is a system on the networks in place now that checks and inspects and groups any new devices and new ips that are connecting to the internet and then " THE FILE GETS OPEN FOR THAT DEVICE AND IP FOR LIFE"

Each and everyone of us now have a personal file up the chain of command in the network the only thing missing is a DNA Sample and a Finger Print...using the Internet in the current time and future.

Lets just be very aware about this fact from now on....