General Question about OEM Bios and BIOS updates

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Obelix, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Obelix

Obelix MDL Junior Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Hello,

in my case i have a Acer Travelmate 6592 Notebook. It can be orderd with Vista Home Premium, Business or XP. Let's think i have orderd the Home Premium Version and i'm going to update my Bios because of errors. But the actual BIOS (1.53) doesn't contain a SLIC table (even if you select you have Vista installed). Is this meaning, that if you have a preinstalled Vista, you can't update your Bios without loosing the activation?!

Obelix

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Hehe...no...

This is the point every OEM has to manage.

-Some update flash-tools check for what bios is already applied (check for Vista OEM licensed bios). Some OEM's have got another flash tool which is hidden for the public. So the public flash tool doesn't write ALL areas of bios or modifies the bios file during flash process.
    Some of these bioses have got a 'half mapped SLIC' already. The 'other part' is present at the Vista licensed machines only. (Applied by OEM at preinstall)

-If you are a lucky one, even the bios of the Notebook that comes without Vista preinstalled contains a SLIC already!! Or you may flash a bios that contains a fully present SLIC from the manufacturer.

The OEMS usually cannot afford a loss of SLIC of a customer who has got a valid OEM license of it......but in that case you may activate using COA sticker to get a COA_SLP license by activating via wire.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. striker

striker MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2008
    #3 striker, Oct 6, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
    Hi, guys
    well i have some question regarding the same topic,i hope you can figure out my problem.:rolleyes:

I have compaq pressario v6604au notebook which had pre installed windows vista in it(oem). Can i install an oem copy of windows xp Professional on it so that if it can be activated just like windows vista by oem activation method.

thanks

4. Dondee

Dondee MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2007
    Not unless your BIOS contains the WinXP OEM license code. If you already have Vista, I would suggest that getting and installing a copy of WinXP VLK would be much easier than modding your BIOS--although the automatic BIOS modders generate code for both Vista and XP these days.