German magazine: Windows 8 Bootloader blocked with certificate

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by cfrank33, Sep 22, 2011.

1. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    X64 versions (non_OEM_SLP) must be able to boot from BIOS as well. Otherwise all x64 CPUs which are on a motherboard with BIOS cannot run W8. This means most of the Nehalem I7 CPUs...
    and many others.
    If you are right then it would mean secure boot is no condition / specification of OA3.0. I rather think there will be no x32 OEM_SLP license at all, since all modern CPUs are ARM or X64....

I also think secure boot is essential for OA3.0 only. For anything else it is optional.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    CPU's like Intel ATOM stay on x86
    What we should see: x86/x64/ARM forced UEFI for OEM, maybe a "upgrade" solution for OEMs so they can distribute a new BIOS for older models and sell a W8 upgrade disc, but all NEW OEM should require UEFI, but there also might be some small OEM's who get allowed to use BIOS cause of their limited resources to go with UEFI as standard, but if MS is strict only "upgrade" solutions could be allowed (im kinda sure there will be BIOS with new OEM Activation cause of that, dropping support for "upgrades" results in a huge revenue loss and upgrading from BIOS to UEFI won't happen)
    non OEM Win8 won't require UEFI, secure boot or anything else.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The crux of how easy it can be mimicked is: Will secure boot be a part of OA3.0 specifications....M$ better does if they want to prevent loaders and mods..and I guess they will..

5. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    So some parts of this product key is part of the well leaked key for WDP. Never heard of this before, so I am a bit lost on that.

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Thanks for this info. I know that secure boot is no feature of w8. It cannot be one since there are a lot of BIOSes that need to start W8.
    My thoughts pointed to another direction.

OA2.0 and 2.1 use ACPI related specifications. ACPI is found at BIOS and at (U)EFI. The OEM_SLP activation specifications contain also ACPI specifications. (SLIC is basically an ACPITable and follows the ACPI specifications).

Secure boot specifications will be realized at (U)EFI only. So the question is: Will OA3.0 'use' secure boot specifications?
    OA3.0 specifications are made by M$ AND the OEMs....so it's easy to say for M$ that they don't 'restrict' anything, but the OEMs can use 'secure' features.
    Fact is that windows needs to control the boot process to prevent another loader for W8....

But you are right, let's see what will happen...:)

7. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2009
    Now I wonder. Microsoft refuses to implement 32-bit UEFI support (or atleast has refused to implement it so far), while they will apparently require UEFI for OEM preinstalled machines. The Intel Atom only supports 32-bit mode. Does that mean, no Atom machines with preinstalled Windows 8?

(BTW, I really hope they do implement 32-bit UEFI boot. My Aspire 5720G has a 32-bit UEFI, and due to MS's stubbornness, I'm forced to use it in BIOS emulation mode.)

8. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Its so funny MS going around saying secure boot will protect users, all it'll protect is MS from us. Not for too long hopefully.

But even if loaders are fubar'd kms and rearm reset still stays? unless they finger that also. :mad:

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I don't think so. EFI code is 64-bit code.

10. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    I watched one of these BUILD Videos about UEFI, someone asked about Secure Boot and 32bit, i don't remember what exactly he said, but it was something like this: there is no Secure boot for 32bit right now but they are looking for a solution to allow Secure boot on such machines.

Also they showed a Atom Tablet on the 1st Keynote, but it run really sluggish.

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    How should 64-bit EFI code work on a 32 bit CPU? The only thing is emulation...and that's no real implementation.

12. crappy44

crappy44 MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2011
    32bit DP version contains 32bit efi bootloader and it boots fine on 32bit (u)efi machine.