Glass

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by maddog0266, Oct 5, 2014.

1. RocketSledder77

RocketSledder77 MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2012
    I have tried every method I can think of that worked with Windows 7 and 8 but I have not found anything that works yet.

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    What did you expect ... similiar situation to Win 8/8.x Previews :cool2:. This lasts a moment. I'm very estonished that Rafael already released an UXStyle patch for the Preview :good3:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. shawnsdada

shawnsdada MDL Junior Member

Jun 24, 2013
    It's nowhere near the real Glass effect and never will be

Is he actually releasing it for all public users when 10 hits RTM? That implies a free release that's full version and no watermark BS. Or is he going to pull the stunt of wanting donations, but never saying how much a donation needs to be before getting a full version?

I'll never use it because I don't see eye candy as this huge thing I need my OS to have, but if he tries to pull more shady BS like the last time, he'll get called out real quick. I know he has his precious little defenders, but you can't deny releasing a preview and then asking for donations for an unlocked version that isn't watermarked and never giving it out to people who donated (because they didn't donate enough when he never set a donaton amount :rolleyes:) isn't shady.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
  5. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Worked perfectly here on my main machine and in VM.

6. bigmuscle

bigmuscle MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Since there are no large changes in Win10's DWM, you can expect Aero Glass for Win10 earlier than I previously expected. I can't specify the exact date, because some testing is still needed. So you can look forward to the real Aero glass effect which is 100% same as in Win7 :cool:

7. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    Cool
    Look forward to it.

8. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    yep, and this option should be grayed out if gpu might run into performance problems

9. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I think they removed it in 8 because it eats battery life on laptops, but it really shouldn't be that much of an issue anymore.
    The performance per watt has been steadily improving since win7 was released.

I don't know... I could be wrong. 8 does have some transparency, it's just not the frosty lovin' people are used to.
    Hmm... actually maybe only the taskbar has transparency in 8... I dunno. I'm no aero expert for sure.

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #34 Yen, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    The one and only reason is sloppy M$ code...also poor mobile CPU / GPU architecture and performance (regarding performance / watt).

Common Intel x86 / x64 architecture is far inferior compared to ARM SoC's. Also modern OSes have better code to realize transparent (gif's) even animated.

M$ gained more performance / Watt by removing aero glass themes or even dream scene from Vista which never worked smoothly.
    But not by improving code.
    The result is that plain flat look...

11. bigmuscle

Jan 23, 2013
  12. xomniversex

xomniversex MDL Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Got my fingers crossed that there will be a freeware or official MS way to bring back Aero. I miss it.

Remember this technical preview doesnt have the GUI overhaul yet. That likely comes with the RTM

I've heard some bad things about this third party Glass8 tool like some people don't get the full ver after paying for a key so I am a bit ambivalent about purchasing. Will think about it if the official GUI is still flat and crap by RTM though.

13. bigmuscle

Jan 23, 2013
    Believe me, there is almost 3000 valid donators and all of them got their keys. Those bad things are mostly from people who didn't donate at all or they tried donating virtual values such as 0.00001€ and similar (they cannot accept that the full version of the application is not freeware so they must denigrate it in every discussion about it).

14. Zeblade

Zeblade MDL Junior Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Lol.. themes are sometimes hard to make. Yet were talking about what? PREVIEW OS. Man look where your at or what I should say is look at what people are trying to get away with. People trying to find ways to do what to get around? So if you search you will ALWAYS find.

This OS will be beta for a while so paying for a theme.. never have. You like to great. If you got stuck.. were talking BETA.

Unless you have a set amount for "donate" people will always try to find a way around it. So have a set amount or take what they give.

15. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Well, because it is (I think) 3$ or so, there is no need to think about it too much. That amount is so low, that it is practically for free. :)

16. RocketSledder77

RocketSledder77 MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2012
    I was watching one of the Microsoft videos that shows off the features of Windows 10. The windows in the video had a transparent glass look. So I know it is somewhere in the programming. I think it might have been removed because it looked a lot like Yosemite.