Global Warming: Your opinion ....

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by R29k, Jun 14, 2011.

?

Is Global Warming man made or a natural cycle ?

1. Yes, it is man made

2. Undecided

3. No, I think there is another reason for it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    We?

Them. The hard working and really intelligent scientists, not overrated philosophers.

Don't lecture me: "We as species" lol

2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    FYI, there are hard working sociopathic scientists, too...

FYI, Philosophy is the mother of Science...

FYI, we have this thing, as a society, called division of labour.

FYI, all of "us", Human Beings, are contributors in all this.

FYI, you are seriously overrating yourself!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #1383 Mr.X, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Yeah right. I know all of this.

But again, we?

No no no no no... Them!.

Not you not me either, lol.

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    As I said: division of labour... and therefore you do overrate yourself - you don't "now" jack-s***t...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Thanks I made the correction. But I do not overrate myself.

I JUST WANT TO TROLL YOU LITTLE SCHOOLGIRL WITH A GLIMPSE OF TRUTH INCLUDED.

LULZ.

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
  8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    You two wouldn't be able to "now" truth even if it hit you right in the face, such is your combined brain-"power"... '

Be great if you could find 2 brain cells to rub together...

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Give it up gorski, We know you are a Capitalists fur trader with the blood of little innocent furry critters on your hands!
    :imag:

10. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
  11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Or this:

[​IMG]

https://www.euronews.com/2019/06/10...7XZgET_of2-IiBuqMutwdr-9kk#Echobox=1560184739

Cruise liners run by the Carnival Corporation emitted nearly 10 times more sulphur oxide (SOX) air pollution around European coasts than all of the continent's 260 million cars in 2017, a new analysis has claimed.

Spain, Italy, Greece, France and Norway were most exposed to cruise ship air pollution in Europe, the analysis by campaign group Transport & Environment said.

13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    On the other hand, raise your eyebrows, oh ye of little faith in Humanity's ingenuity:

https://www.advancedbatteriesresear...-hydro-system-on-island-of-ikaria-inaugurated

"PPC Renewables has invested EUR 50 million in the project, which will secure 50% of the island's energy needs and decrease CO2 emissions by 13,800 tonnes a year. The island has so far produced electricity in an oil-fired station. The wind-hydro system includes a 2.7 MW wind farm, two hydropower plants with an installed capacity of 4.1 MW, a 3 MW pumping station, two water tanks, and one water reservoir. Estimated power generation of the system is around 9.8 GW/h

The wind farm is capable of delivering electricity directly to the grid, and also to the pumps when there is low demand for the electricity. Pumps are using the energy from the wind farm to pump the water from lower to higher reservoirs. The pumped-storage hydropower plant acts as energy storage and uses water from higher level reservoirs to generate electricity.

The hybrid system will be controlled by the Grid Master Control System, which will regulate the availability of energy, frequency, voltage regulation, fuel economy, emission reduction, and noise reduction. The estimated power generation of the system is around 9.8 GW/h."

Now, I'd say that's a pretty darn good contribution...

And even individually we could do more, as in:

https://www.advancedbatteriesresearch.com/articles/17398/an-affordable-way-to-store-clean-energy

"...innovative new redox flow systems are available at the same price point as lithium ion batteries, and last twice as long. Volterion is a spin-off of the Fraunhofer Institute for Environmental, Safety and Energy Technology UMSICHT, and has succeeded in dramatically reducing the manufacturing costs involved. For more information see the IDTechEx report on Redeox Flow Batteries 2018-2028. Our power supply depends to an increasing extent on renewable sources of energy. However, their power generation output fluctuates widely - calling for a medium to store that electrical energy until it is required. Powerful battery systems are also an integral part of other modern technology such as electromobility solutions. The grid is not equipped, for instance, to accommodate fast charging stations operating at 350 kilowatts. Nor does the power grid cover all the locations where it would be sensible to install such stations. Lithium ion batteries are of limited use in such scenarios, not least due to their insufficiencies in relation to cycle durability. Two to three years of charging and draining such batteries two or three times a day would render them useless. Not so redox flow batteries, which offer superior cycle durability. They are also non-flammable, recyclable and easily modified for both capacity and performance. This makes them particularly suitable for applications in which batteries are placed under high levels of stress. But until now, despite these advantages, they have simply been cost-prohibitive."

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #1394 Yen, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    It's not only SOx. It's also NOx.
    The idea to cancel flights for making holidays and rather go by such cruise liners for environmental reasons is an illusion.

There is a trend going by luxury liners and making holidays also for 'younger' people.

Anyway to focus on yearly events such as making holidays is not the right approach at least primarily. Cars and how to gain electricity are, though.

Don't get me wrong, but IF people are saying (heard that already)...people must not use them when making holidays (they better should stay at home) it would be tactically the wrong approach.

The awareness for a change has to start at the liners themselves, not at the potential customers refraining from making their (deserved) holidays once a year.

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Go nuclear with those cruisers, says Jo, cheered frantically by Mr X...:rolleyes:

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    :rolleyes:
    We have experiences already with nuclear submarines...started in the 50s. Some are decaying somewhere down the ocean floor. o_O

I thought about another old process (20s): Fischer-Tropsch (FT-Synthesis) and using solar energy. AKA sun-to-liquid.:sun:

- Process: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer–Tropsch_process (Goal there already that time : To produce low sulphur fuels).
    - Project Sun to liquid: http://www.sun-to-liquid.eu/
    https://atwonline.com/eco-aviation/solar-liquid-fuel-tests-show-promising-results

There is a plant already in Spain, Móstoles.
    Demonstration event two days ago: https://cmt.eurtd.com/events/event/...n-mostoles-spain-on-13-june-2019-at-1130-1730

I just discussed that with a colleague, he's pointed me to the plant in Spain. :)

Really exciting news...

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    One should really read this: https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envi...PwrDiHdDJX_PgLLbjaXOWwrCR8Fusj5jMD7mlh7NVoXN8

"Countries are not moving anywhere near fast enough to hit those targets, so we are currently on track for somewhere around 3 degrees. It is generally agreed that hitting 2 degrees would be quite ambitious, while hitting 1.5 would be nothing short of miraculous. Yet the scientists at the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, in their latest report, are pleading with the world to go for it, because at this point, every fraction of a degree of warming matters.

America is warming fast. See how your city’s weather will be different by 2050.
    [​IMG]

While there is nothing like a real-world plan in place for hitting those targets yet, climate modelers have come up with many scenarios for how we might do so. However, as I wrote recently, most of those scenarios rely heavily on “negative emissions” — ways of pulling carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere. If negative emissions technologies can be scaled up later in the century, the reasoning goes, it gives us room to emit more earlier in the century."

NUTS!!!!

18. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009

Looks really promising! :)

19. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    So, this is now being resolved, probably...

20. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Please consider the source before you post FUD