Global Warming: Your opinion ....

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by R29k, Jun 14, 2011.

?

Is Global Warming man made or a natural cycle ?

1. Yes, it is man made

2. Undecided

3. No, I think there is another reason for it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Ambulances are turning green these days, noddy...

Just for the record: https://truthout.org/articles/exxonmobil-is-still-bankrolling-climate-science-deniers/

"Zycher also posted a column belittling a lawsuit brought by New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood that charges ExxonMobil with defrauding investors by publicly claiming to incorporate climate risks in its business decisions while downplaying or ignoring them for internal planning purposes. The lawsuit, scheduled to go to trial on October 22, alleges that ExxonMobil inflated its value, falsely assuring investors that its oil and gas reserves would not become “stranded assets” that would have to be left in the ground. Zycher accused Underwood of “picking an unpopular target and then trying to find a way to convict it of something,” and suggested that she filed the suit to advance her career.

Like the Enterprise Institute, the Manhattan Institute opposes the Paris climate accord. Senior Fellow Oren Cass, who regularly testified before Congress against Obama administration climate efforts, alleges the international agreement is “somewhere between a farce and a fraud.” The think tank is also an outspoken opponent of renewable energy, routinely calling for an end to federal subsidies for wind, solar and electric vehicles. At the same time, it is mum about the significantly bigger subsidies the oil and gas industry has been receiving over the last 100 years.

Cass’s colleague, Senior Fellow Robert Bryce, has been bashing wind power for years and, like President Trump, he wildly overstates its threat to birds. In fact, the top human-caused threats to birds are climate change, buildings, power lines, misapplied pesticides, communications towers, and oil and gas industry fluid waste pits. Bryce never mentions that. It would undermine his bogus argument.

Still another Manhattan Institute senior fellow, Mark P. Mills, wrote an opinion piece for The Wall Street Journal in May titled “What if Green Energy Isn’t the Future?” In it, he maintained that, “using wind, solar and batteries as the primary sources of a nation’s energy supply remains far too expensive.” In fact, renewables are now the cheapest type of new electricity generation for more than two-thirds of the world, according to a June report by Bloomberg New Energy Finance. By 2030, Bloomberg researchers project, wind and solar will “undercut existing coal and [natural] gas almost everywhere.” Mills also failed to factor in the cost of doing nothing to curb carbon pollution. The top 10 largest climate change-related disasters in 2018 alone cost at least $85 billion in damages.

On top of the hundreds of thousands of dollars ExxonMobil gave to climate science denier groups last year, the company continued to fund deniers on Capitol Hill. As noted above, 67 percent of the $1.65 million it spent during the 2017-18 election cycle — roughly $1.1 million — went to the campaigns of 189 climate science deniers. It then spent $11.15 million in 2018 to lobby lawmakers, more than any other oil and gas company."

"All told, the company has spent some $37 million since 1998 on a network of denier organizations — a sorry record of support that ranks second only to Charles Koch and his brother, the late David Koch, owners of the coal, oil and gas conglomerate Koch Industries."

Cherry on top:

"ExxonMobil first announced its support for a carbon tax in 2009 in a cynical attempt to derail a cap-and-trade bill in Congress, and last year, the company announced it would give $1 million over two years to Americans for Carbon Dividends, a political action group created to promote a revenue-neutral carbon tax. The proposal — developed by the Climate Leadership Council, a coalition of corporations, environmental groups and former government officials — would levy a carbon fee starting at $40 a ton in exchange for dropping all “stationary source” (non-transportation) carbon pollution regulations and granting the fossil fuel industry immunity from climate lawsuits.

In a surprise move, however, the Climate Leadership Council and Americans for Carbon Dividends recently deleted the provision shielding the fossil fuel industry from liability, apparently abandoning coalition co-founders BP, ConocoPhillips, Royal Dutch Shell and ExxonMobil, which are facing more than a dozen lawsuits for billions of dollars in climate change-related damages. It remains to be seen what ExxonMobil will do now, but based on past experience, the company likely will continue to finance lawmakers who cite fraudulent reports by the groups it funds to make their bogus case that climate change is not a threat. In other words, ExxonMobil will keep bankrolling climate science denial to make sure nothing happens on Capitol Hill."

Oh, don't worry, all these are just damn lies!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. JohnDeWoll

JohnDeWoll MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2019
    It's natural AND man made that's what most people don't get it.

3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    https://www.offgridenergyindependen...-generate-262-mwh-of-clean-energy-in-24-hours

Posted on December 25, 2019

First Wind Turbine to Generate 262 MWh of Clean Energy in 24 Hours
    [​IMG]
    Eneco, Future Wind (a Joint Venture between Pondera Development and SIF Holding Netherlands), and GE Renewable Energy announced that Eneco will purchase all of the electricity generated by GE's Haliade-X 12 MW prototype. The announcement was made during a ceremony to inaugurate the prototype that was recently installed at the port of Maasvlakte-Rotterdam in the Netherlands. For more information see the IDTechEx report on Energy Harvesting Microwatt to Megawatt 2019-2029.

The prototype set a new world record this past weekend by being the first wind turbine ever to generate 262 MWh of clean energy in 24 hours, enough energy to power 30,000 households in the region. Over the next five-year period, the Haliade-X prototype will undergo a series of tests to validate the turbine's power curve, loads, grid performance and reliability. The tests will also allow GE to validate operational procedures for installation and services teams and obtain a Type Certificate for the Haliade-X in 2020, keeping GE on track to commercialize the turbine by 2021.

Frans van de Noort, COO of Eneco said: "We are very proud of our cooperation with Future Wind and GE Renewable Energy, as it enables Eneco to purchase the green power produced by the Haliade-X prototype and to get hands on experience with this innovative and powerful new turbine that represents the future of offshore wind energy."

Diederik de Bruin, Project Manager at Future Wind said: "We are glad to be able to collaborate with GE Renewable Energy and having the world's first 12 MW wind turbine installed at our SiF site in Rotterdam. We believe this milestone is relevant not only for the global offshore wind industry, but also proves how Dutch companies (such as SiF and Pondera) are engaged with the development of renewable energy."

John Lavelle, CEO of Offshore Wind at GE Renewable Energy, said "Along with the industry's compelling value proposition, technology innovation is a key driver of the offshore wind market. Because it is the most powerful machine in the industry, the Haliade-X allows our customers to drive down the cost of wind energy and speed the adoption of clean, renewable energy. The testing that the prototype will undergo is one part of a multi-faceted testing process that will enable us to commercialize the Haliade-X by 2021, just in time for the strong growth uptick we are seeing in offshore wind worldwide."

The Haliade-X technology has been selected already as the preferred wind turbine for 4,800 MW of power in several offshore windfarms: the 120 MW Skip Jack and 1,100 MW Ocean Wind projects in the US, and the 3,600 MW Dogger Bank project in the UK. Serial production of the Haliade-X 12 MW will start at the second half of 2021.

The Haliade-X program is part of a multi-million dollar investment that will contribute to reducing the levelized cost of electricity (LCOE) by making offshore wind a more competitive source of renewable energy. One Haliade-X 12 MW turbine can generate up to 67 GWh of gross annual energy production, providing enough clean energy to power 16,000 European households and save up to 42,000 metric tons of CO2, which is the equivalent of the emissions generated by 9,000 vehicles in one year.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    thanks for the hedads up ....

5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Rolls-Royce Unveils All-electric Plane Targeting the Record Books
    [​IMG]
    Rolls-Royce's ambitions to build the world's fastest all-electric aircraft have taken an important step forward with the unveiling of the plane at Gloucestershire Airport. Work will now begin on integrating the ground-breaking electrical propulsion system to enable the zero-emissions plane to make a run for the record books with a target speed of 300+ MPH (480+ KMH) in late Spring 2020

https://www.electricvehiclesresearc...all-electric-plane-targeting-the-record-books

6. BetADNA

BetADNA MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2015

7. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    Wow. I'm surprised by my previous posts on this topic, I guess my opinion has changed a lot in some way...

Quite some years ago I said that I do not really agree that global warming is a man-made issue. I voted for the option "No, I think there is another reason for it". Today I would still agree to this in some sense; there is an influence from natural cycles when it comes to climate change (I prefer that word over global warming). However, we humans are rapidly increasing the speed the climate is changing by continuously emitting greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere. Normally there should be a natural balance in terms of uptake and emissions but due to our influence is that not the case anymore from my point of view. We're affecting both, increasing the emissions by using fossil fuels and human expansion and decreasing the uptake by cutting down forests.

In an earlier post from me, I said that natural cycle reached a peak causing warmer temperatures, and that has indeed happened recently according to the Milankovitch cycles, but that peak should have passed already. The average temperatures should be lowering down now and not rising up as it is doing instead...

Yes, my opinion changed a lot. Ironically, this change in opinion has led to the point that I've started to study environmental science...

8. BetADNA

Jul 26, 2015

very nice sayd, good reflection on one self, sadly a lot of People dont/cant do this anymore.. Its good to see People can change theyr mindset and want to learn and discover more about it.. Essentially that is what you need to do if you wanna know teh FACTS.. :)

You have a "Big Respect" Hug from me..

Best Regards...

9. BetADNA

Jul 26, 2015
    nice short Video...

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    And what do you propose we do?
    It still requires fossil fuel to make the technology required to create the tech we need to make products that are "ecology friendly"

If you want to "Save the Earth" then move into a cave, do not burn anything and live on veggies that grow naturally

11. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    :g: i am an old man.. by the time we have to swim for it because of rising sea levels, i should be long dead.:) but that green fascism is very inconvenient. i will have to stop heating my house.because it releases co2[ at the moment it is ~ +7`C outside.] pretty cold if you try to live in a house.]

12. BetADNA

Jul 26, 2015
    ummm, i propose "nothing".. Do i really have to explain myself when posting a video that i found fitting for this Thread?
    naahhhhhh.. i found this video interessting, i did not say "woooaahahhh, thats soo insane and cool, we all have to do ziss..."

:)

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Yes... but if you truly care to make a difference then post a solution that mankind can use. Personally I can not see any solution that we as mankind can do without the use fossil fuels in one form or another

14. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    do nothing? well; if you disapprove of global warming, and it looks as if you do, i guess we may reasonably expect you to propose to do something about it...:orb:

15. BetADNA

Jul 26, 2015
    #1495 BetADNA, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Yes.. VOTE TRUMP!!!! (Sarkasm, if one didnt get it)

Nope, i do not Dissaprove global warming, just look at the science. I also dont think the Earth is flat..( or is it :p )
    Did i really wrote: "do nothing"?
    No, i just dont have an proposal or an answer to this mess. I do have an Oppinion though..
    Im just to lazy atm to write my Oppinion since its late... Also writing about one Own Oppinion about such Topics needs to be very carefully thought about.. :p
    *some other Time maybe.. :)

PS.. Good Night you two...:sleep2:

16. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Science (as in fundamental research) does not wait for the approval of those two old farts from their cosy balcony seats... :rolleyes: It keeps "burning the midnight oil", as it were :D - finding solutions to remove the need for oil in the lamp... as if they don't know it... but it's so much EASIER to bitch from those sits, they just can't help themselves...

Btw, it's NOT the same if we use some fossilised remnants of eras long gone in order to make some gadgets or tools etc. - rather that use it wholesale as energy, especially with vehicles and remove so much toxicity from the atmosphere...

Our children suffer a great deal (asthma and other respiratory illnesses) due to pollution from ICE cars, especially diesel cheating bastards, one shouldn't really have to point out to this... oych...

But don't let that stop you in your cosy bitching "from on high" - I actually see you as two old farts in a deep hole... but OK... whatever makes you happy...

You're going back into fertiliser you came from soon anyhow, so... :p

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Btw, Milanković's peak should have been gone, long ago but it is rising - and we know it is down to Human activity, esp. since the industrial revolution, so we better clean up our act or else...

That is what responsible kids would do - but the old farts just wanna be cosy, no boat rocking, steady as she goes, let's make some more profits, caugh, caugh...

18. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    of course the earth is flat as gagarin found outwhem he looked out the window. he even said blin. you can always ask gorski. he knows

19. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Better not to write than to write nonsense, quite frankly...

20. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The evolution of mankind has been fundamentally influenced by the taming of fire and cooking.
    If we hadn't burnt wood we would not be as we are now.

It's exactly the 'out of balance' perspective that gets trouble for humankind. To that belongs the black / white arguing.
    You can burn wood as much as you want if you care that the same amount that has been burnt grows again.

This does not apply to the primary energy source of all, the sun. The sun lasts the longest time and will limit our energy.

You can use fossil fuels to produce devices that use sun energy to make electricity. Important is the purpose to move away from them. The higher the percentage of renewable energies, the higher the percentage of renewable energy used to make new devices...