[Guide]Way to Disable Keylogger/ Telemetry v3.55

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by LiteOS, Oct 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    You opt-in via the Insider-Program.

Seriously, why should give us M$ a free access to their TP, if we refuse to help to improve things ?

How many of us are actively reporting issues via the Feedback-App ?

I'm not talking about crying about color-themes or other unimportant crap.

Some are just too lazy, have not enough technical knowledge or just have too many excuses why they don't want to do it.

That are already enough reasons, why M$ is doing it that way.

Some users are really a Dev's nightmare.

:tea:

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #43 pisthai, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    As I wrote already on this and other threads: As long as we use the FREE software given by developers, we all agreed that we'll follow their EULA's and although doing our best to test , report and improve about anything what will happen within that period. We although agreed that we should and would not use that software in any productive way include using it with personal or any other important data!

The developer could simply refrain from giving 'outsiders' access to that software and sell it just after their internal testing and while finding it ready for an final release to the public! Many developers also limiting the ALPHA and BETA testings to an very small group of users to which the public didn't has any legal access.
    What about if Microsoft would go one of those 2 way's? The outcry, include on MDL would be immens!

Fact is, as we could see here at the Windows 10 Forum of MDL, there quite a lot users who using the new Technical Preview of the coming Windows 10 (which is at this very moment just max. in ALPHA stage)as their Main OS! There although a lot users who complaining about Bugs (which are just normal in Alpha and Beta versions), Incompatibility (same as before!), none existing drivers (which are made by 3. party, say the Accessoires Manufacturer), inconsistencies and, and, and, those line is quite endless at this time! And than their those users who "need" directly to start 'hacking' that new software for what reason ever! These are the biggest groups of users here at MDL and that will not be different on any other forum too!

There still a smaller group of user's who trying to abite to the recommendation of the developer. The member of this group are like some Outsiders and treated as such. The answers to post's of them going from simple NO/NEVER/IMPOSSIBLE answers up to insulting and personal abuse! Members of this group all time communicated in polite manner with out to be insulting or accusing in any means. And this members although didn't "Show Off" because their isn't any need for that!
    In Fact there'll be quite a lot of guest on this forum, which would never sign up because of the behavior of those "Show Off" members of the first big groups, users, which may have a lot more knowledge and could help a lot, they just refrain from to do so because they like to keep their dignity!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KOLANICH

KOLANICH MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2013
    #44 KOLANICH, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    Not telemetry, but espionage. We need to call a spade a spade.
    Of course: we neither have sponsored its development nor take part in it. But MS gave it to us, though we haven't deserved it. But one thing we definitily deserve. A respect. Espionage is disrespectful. MS EULA is disrespectful.

And one more. We haven't refused to help M$ with improving their os. We are happy to provide our feedback to make devs better understand our needs. But the way M$ wants to "improve OS" is not about imroving OS, it is about improving M$ and NSA partnership.

4. KOLANICH

KOLANICH MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2013
    OP, are you sure that the measures you suggest are enough?
    1 There can be another horses, including the ones hardcoced into differrent binaries.
    2 M$ can update espionage mechanisms later.

5. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    you definitely understood nothing. Do not use that espionage os and don't blame MS if they try to help ppl get a better operating system. Stay off that insider program and do not bother ppl who like to be helpful. Please stay off. Thanks ...
    and if you are curious to run that new os, keep your mouth shut :eek:

6. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    since you are not sure if English is my native voice or not, yours also doesn't seem to be, no? let the mods decide upon my language ... copy?

7. Zeblade

Zeblade MDL Junior Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Haha I agree. Man just turn off the internet toss out the cell.. ooh man the TV.. XBOX..the CAMERA..MY GOD they are turning it on and watching EVERYTHING we do.. all is lost..

Its a NEW OS.. they have better ways of getting info and.. dont even need any OS.

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The thread title is "[Guide]Way to Disable Keylogger"
    This is an absolute non-emotional TECHNICAL topic actually. So I don't understand why there are ethic discussions about that.

People arguing like :" If you cannot accept the EULA of M$ why do you install w10 TP and then complain.....?" I say:" Why people are complaining about people who have interest to disable it? Just don't do it! Nobody forces one to disable it."

Both arguments are equally nothing. This thread is not about the ethics of disabling telemetry. It is all about knowledge and how to!

M$ will get enough data either way. I do agree and have written already that to complain about telemetry and to want to have an OS who is made for the end user in a perfect way does not go together. Anyway it is a sensitive matter to transmit data which are personal and we know how M$ behaves.....

I wish that people are not getting personal or even insulting each others. One can tell that it is not OK without becoming personal, but this is not the right thread, the OP don't want to have opinions if it is OK or not. (at least I guess so...)
    And we are not talking about modifying copyright code or to crack something.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I agree, totally. We need choices in life, obviously, and disabling keylogger is one of them :cool:

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It is the spirit of MDL to have a way to get such infos. It IS a matter of general interest MDL is not the only site who has the headline: W10 TP has a keylogger installed.

And yes many topics have also an ethical aspect, but both ways.
    In this regard I want one to consider: Does the EULA explicit mention that to remove telemetry is 'an act of copyright violation?'
    And also the fact that M$'es EULA does violate national laws at some countries. So which one does one support? Local laws (which are also protecting privacy more or less, depending on national laws), or M$'ses 'laws'? We know that M$ has been sued because of violation of local laws as well....

11. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #52 Smorgan, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    @Yen it is true that the EULA does not mention the removal of Telemetry tracking. However it does have a section in there about Reverse Engineering lol. That being said I feel the more we know about an operating system the better. It makes things more transparent.

This is a pure technical topic however inevitably it will dip into the waters of ethics.

Now we need a sensible debate on this that does not get into a pissing contest. That means we need to know what constitutes too much information being collected. I've seen some extreme terms such as espionage which is simply incorrect in terms of what is being done. What we are seeing is data mining like what is done on social networking sites. This is not going to be easy so we need to come to a consensus in terms of categorizing between application data and telemetry. The two have been put in the same category and need differentiation.

We need some common sense solutions so that we can limit the amount of information coming out of Windows 10 TP. This means we will have topics such as these that delve into these matters. In order to convey the information in a reasonable manner it must be non-bias. This makes it so that the user can make informed decisions. This is going forward as we will see features in the rtm from the tech preview.

Now I for one want to know about everything being transmitted outside of normal Telemetry but I also want to peer into that as well.

12. PaulDesmondFather

PaulDesmondFather MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2014
    @Yen
    I have noticed that "PaulDesmond" attitude is always rude. People like his comments by seeing only over 5000 posts. Example is the one after the first post of this thread. There is nothing to thank for this post. I am not forcing them to not thank. But i am saying that people should have some sense that for what we should thank and what should we like. Do (for all) what you thinks and like .

"Keep your mouth shut"
    what type of language this is? i have not seen this type of language from any one here. Slave777 is always helpful to others and i like him. CODYQX4, Hotbird64, qad, i have not seen them being rude to others. This forum is like our home. And i think i we do not like anyone's comment we should just ignore. The moderator will do their best.

@ PaulDesmond. I think there is no need for your comment. And being rude i will throw your words "Keep your mouth shut"

13. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Is there going to be a fight?

14. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I'd take a PaulDesmond who pays money out of his own pocket to share MS isos with people any day over some ghost account who doesn't like being told off.
    Have you paid money out of your own pocket to help strangers? I think not. Move along.

15. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Can we get back on topic?

16. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Reverse engineering law is stupid. It should be legal in all countries to reverse engineer things you own as long as you don't commercialize the effort.
    I feel like it's more tied to patent laws or other indirect law issues. I mean, would you put someone in jail for taking apart a radio he bought to look at what was inside?
    It's silly.

17. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    People are rude sometimes. I know I am.
    2 minutes for instigating.
    We definitely don't need people bringing drama into threads that are simply about trying to disable something in the O.S.

Demanding apologies for rude behavior is just silly.
    This is the internet. Sometimes people are un-kind. It happens.
    If you feel like something crossed an ethical line, then you report it to the mods.
    If he just does something you don't like... well suck it up..

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    First at all: Looks like that someone has open an new account under the name of PaulDesmondFather on MDL as the 2. one for to avoid to show WHO has written that post! If that is the fact, than that member should be banned with ALL of his accounts!

Now, what I'm thinking, just read my post #43 in this thread again and you know.

An open word is all time the best one. To hide the real thinking behind an Smiley, isn't! And that is used by many members not to speak out the real word, just hide them, which is much morer abusive than the spoken (or written) word! And that just a lot of the old and 'reputated' members who havind such behavior. Just see the smilies as what they are for those who posting them: A Mirror of THEIR rela thinking!

PaulDesmond isn't one of them, he just tell in open words what he's is thinking. Sometimes to tell "keep your moth shut" is just appropriate, even if it's not polite!

The is one very real fact: There are not any real friends in the Cyber-World! Real Friends have know each other in person to bve able to look in eye of them to see who they are in reality! Impossible on Forum and the Internet in general: the Cyber-World!

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Tbh this thread is one of the hardest to moderate.

Anyway the tone of some (and yes also people who actually are doing a lot for MDL) has become anything else than nice. I decided to post my opinion and to address the unpleasant even insulting tone generally hoping that the room I have left (not to delete posts) will be used to clarify the things on their own. I mean we're mature enough to do that without to moderate like censorship even because here are long time members involved.

PaulDesmondFather has clearly violated our rule 2.1 The username must be unique and must not be related to an already existing one. E.g. by just adding a number to an already existing username or by using a similar username. Multi-registering is prohibited.

And will be banned, anyway what he has posted has some true content.
    To me to address directly, like "Keep your mouth shut" is a clear insult. This sentence's only purpose is to insult and has no other. As mentioned I did not moderate long time members here because I decided to let room enough to clarify things on their own.

We should now focus on the topic again.