HDR name and bios recovery for Dell M4600

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by turturikaboy, Dec 2, 2013.

1. turturikaboy

turturikaboy MDL Junior Member

Nov 11, 2013
    That might be working...

Where did you see that list?

I'm not a programmer, so I appeal to other MDL members to include in this project and to solve this problem finally...

2. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #42 tonto11, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    this is from the cd you created to run svctag
    on the cd there are a bunch of files including "version" which describes the version updates
    and the file svctag.inf , the one i'm talking about
    read readme also , this describes how the programs work

...T

3. turturikaboy

Nov 11, 2013
    Yup, I've already read version.txt and readme.txt and I'm familiar what the program is supposed to do.
    You can edit svctag.inf but what exactly? When I open it with notepad, there is something like this:

34:DELL:XP:NULL:NULL:NULL:NULL
    55:DELL:XP:NULL:NULL:NULL:NULL
    56:DELL:XP:NULL:NULL:NULL:NULL
    61:DELL:XP:NULL:NULL:NULL:NULL
    69:DELL:XP:NULL:NULL:NULL:NULL
    73:DELL:XP:NULL:NULL:NULL:NULL
    75:DELL:EE-CP:ASSET:/nopause:NULL:/s
    74:DELL:EE-CPA:ASSET:/nopause:/forcetype:/s
    88:DELL:EE-CPA:ASSET:/nopause:/forcetype:/s
    8b:DELL:EE-CPA:ASSET:/nopause:/forcetype:/s

So, I don't see any types of Dell's models...
    BTW, I have SVCTAG.exe version 3.4 Release date:22-November-2005

4. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    I suspect those initial numbers are the key
    but how they are linked to the computers is an issue

It might be useful to compare the version.txt, and the svctag.inf for the two versions
    that might offer a clue as to what is related to what.

...T

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    its not applicable, its dmi info is stored in different format likely so the DMI update wont take.

6. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    You should be able to recover using the HDR method as described in the readme text file. Also I recall it needed to be done with a USB floppy on a rear USB port.

7. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    I've tried that innumerable times. Used several flash drives, latest one, a 512mb I formatted as bootable to make sure it worked, then formatted it with plain FAT, added AZED123.hdr, AZED1234hdr, AZEDA06.hdr, same result lights come on fan runs for about 30 sec stops, I wait reboot, A51 is still there. I'm stumped.

On the other hand A51 works fine, so I don't feel bad leaving it.

...T

8. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    I think the bootblock code only supports a USB floppy drive, so a USB flash drive won't work. This is going by memory since I currently don't have access to the D610. But I know for sure that it the 48-bit LBA was solid since I was using a WD 320GB drive in it just fine.

Out of curiosity, what was your 48-bit LBA workaround?

9. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012

OK I'll try that.

48 -bit LBA workaround is simple
    If you boot say a 320GB HD on the D610 you can see only about 120GB of it (in the bios setup)
    so what you do is create a primary partition that respects that limit, then the bios is happy
    Then you create another primary partition for the rest of the HD
    I usually subdivide that by subject, but that's not necessary.

So when you boot the computer the bios sees the first partition and loads the os
    When the os (Win or Linux )loads it has the capability to see the rest of the drive.

That's my workaround.

...T

10. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #51 tonto11, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    That's a neat trick too.
    Just so I understand it clearly do you mean use a password of 32t's or do you mean 32 attempts using a single t ?

As I understand it his problem is not the hard drive, it is the fact that the bios has been set up to boot the hard drive first, and then it was locked, and so now he cannot change the boot order without the password. The only thing we haven't exhausted is the header name Brooks150.rom
    I'm not sure we've derived a proper header name from this, any advice would be helpful.

11. turturikaboy

Nov 11, 2013
    That's correctly explained problem! We are stucked at undefined hdr file name and with entering into recovery procedure, so any advice would be helpful...

12. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    That was an old Samsung master password...it was 32 t's. Western Digital drives used to use "WDCWDCWDCWDC..." forget how many characters.

Ah ok, I thought his problem was both a locked BIOS/EFI and hard drive.

BTW, AndyP's latest PhoenixTool 2.50 beta at least opens the M4600 EFI firmware...still not sure what to do with the EFI files though...

13. turturikaboy

Nov 11, 2013
    #54 turturikaboy, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    (OP)
    Who knows what to do with those files??? It would be great to share with us...

14. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
  15. turturikaboy

Nov 11, 2013
    So you're suggesting to pay 50 bucks for a password?
    The thread you sent me didn't give me some hope... I can't neither enter to windows, I've installed just ms-dos, moving hdd on another computer...
    Have you another idea...
    I don't know why other members on this forum won't include in discussion... Solving this issue, a lot of people won't spare 50bucks for nothing:(

16. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    I thought artiko might be able to offer some ideas, since he got his m4300 working, but he hasn't been on the board since so doing.
    The one clue he did offer was 256mb max for the flash drive.
    I've got down to 512, but haven't found anything smaller yet, know I've got some 256s but where?.
    Still no progress on the D610

It seems people who have got this new password calculator are trying to maximize their profits.

...T

17. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    The M4300 uses the standard Dell Phoenix BIOS which can be recovered using the HDR recovery method. I have one sitting right next to me.

The M4600 uses the newer Dell EFI firmware...we're not sure how to do recovery with that yet. It's not an HDR file which is why the PhoenixTool just extracts the base filename without an extension. It's a "PFS" image which is the file system image that's used by EFI.

Personally I'm wondering if there is something Linux-based that could help.

18. turturikaboy

Nov 11, 2013
    Maybe Yen or anyone who worked with this newer Dell EFI firmware may help...???