Help needed please.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BBGun007, Sep 26, 2014.

1. BBGun007

BBGun007 MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2014
    So I've recently formatted my computer, and I tried using the Windows Loader to activate my system but that doesn't work.
    It get the status message: "Unsupported partition table". I read the read me.txt and saw what Daz said. "You're either using GPT on a UEFI motherboard or you've got a locked OEM partition. Both problems can be fixed by fully formatting your entire hard drive."
    Honestly when I saw this I had no idea what Daz was talking about. So I started to do research, I found out how to see what my firmware interface is by going to setupact.log and then my detected boot environment is EFI? Is that right? I have no idea.
    So i'm not sure if that's my problem. But what Daz said "Both problems can be fixed by fully formatting your entire hard drive." I've done that (I think) and I still get the same issue. Please help me it will be much appreciated.

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    It depends on how the installation media is booted. UEFI machines usually have two ways: UEFI or Legacy (CSM). You can format as often as you want, if you boot the media in UEFI mode it will always create GPT partitions (you can then see four partitions created in hard disk step of Setup). Depending on your board there is a hotkey allowing an explicit selection of the drive to boot from. If the install media is listed two times, choose the entry without the UEFI badge.

3. BBGun007

BBGun007 MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2014
    I'm sorry but what you just said has be confused as hell. I'm a big newbie when it comes to computers, please could you explain it a little bit more for like a baby or something please?

Really sorry to be so complicated.

4. rEApEAt

rEApEAt MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    You need to access the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) of your machine.

You can do that by pressing a specific key a few seconds after you start (turn on) your machine. Usually the key is DEL or F2.

Once in the BIOS, you need to find the "boot options", check the option "Legacy boot" and save the changes (usually, F10).

When trying to install Windows again, you need to erase the partition of your hard disk and let Windows create a new one.

The above should work...

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #5 Yen, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    rEApEAt is right.

You probably don't need to enter BIOS setup since CSM (Compatibility Support Module) is mostly enabled per default. ..... but you can check that.
    The CSM is needed to boot from MBR...but the windows setup (diskpart) creates the MBR if the HDD is blank (no partitions), else it uses what's there already.

AFAIK windows 7's setup default is MBR either way. Important is to delete all partitions and to re-create them @ setup. I guess that's what Daz means by fully formatting ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. BBGun007

BBGun007 MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2014
    Thank you Yen. I will try and delete all partitions and create a new one with windows.