[Help request:] After some computer uptime all MSI installers and some other things fail.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by moderate, Jan 24, 2020.

1. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Hello,
    please help me to investigate this issue I have for almost half a year:

I have W10 x64 Enterprise 20H1 (freshly upgraded from 19H2, where I had the same problem).

After some computer uptime (like 1-2 days of PC running) some Windows features stop working:

1. Every MSI installer (of common programs) I run fails instantly.
    2. I can't connect to disk service when I run disk manager diskmgmt.msc.
    3. Office 2019 C2R update check fails:
    OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatepromptuser=true forceappshutdown=true displaylevel=true
    with error "something didn't work" (translated from cs-CZ).

A reboot always temporarily solves it.
    Upgrade to another build doesn't solve it (I did it recently from 19H2 to 20H1).

Please, where I should start investigating (from logs), what is the issue.

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/members/abbodi1406.204274/ please help me too :))

2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    No errors in event viewer?

3. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    There are some "bad blocks" for MicrosoftEdgeUpdate, but i didn't find anything, what could be connected to the issue.
    Could the Event Viewer reports be exported some easy way?

4. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    If no clear errors present, they will not be very helpful

5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hmm I also found several problems in this build so I returned to the old Windows 8.1 and works as charm NO problem of any kind and fast as lightning lol :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. shewolf

shewolf MDL Senior Member

Apr 16, 2015
    #6 shewolf, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020

:eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #8 moderate, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    (OP)
    I finally solved it, here is how:

To Increase The Desktop Heap:

Open regedit.exe, and navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems
    Then find the following value name:
    "Windows“
    Open its value for editing and go to this part of it:
    SharedSection=X,Y,Z

Where X,Y and Z are the values you'll found there.

For Windows 10 (64-bit) and Windows Server 2019 (64-bit) it will be:
    SharedSection=1024,20480,768

The first SharedSection value (1024) is the shared heap size common to all desktops. This includes the global handle table. This table holds handles to windows, menus, icons, cursors, and so on, and shared system settings. It is unlikely that you would ever have to change this value.

The second SharedSection value is the size of the desktop heap for each desktop that is associated with the "interactive" window station WinSta0. User objects such as hooks, menus, strings, and windows consume memory in this desktop heap. It is unlikely that you would ever have to change this value.

The third SharedSection value is the size of the desktop heap for each desktop that is associated with a "noninteractive" window station. If this value is not present, the size of the desktop heap for noninteractive window stations will be same as the size that is specified for interactive window stations (that is, the second SharedSection value).

If only two SharedSection values are present, you can add a third value to specify the size of the desktop heap for desktops that are created in noninteractive window stations.

Typically, that third number is smaller than the second, i.e. the interactive desktop heap is larger than the non-interactive desktop heap.

The solution is to modify that registry setting to increase the third number of the SharedSection parameter, i.e. increase the size of the non-interactive desktop heap.

For example, you should change this default setting:
    SharedSection=1024,20480,768
    to this:
    SharedSection=1024,20480,4096

You must re-boot the OS for the change to take effect.

Warning: if you make one of these 3 heap size settings too small, the OS may not have enough resources to start.

8. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Normally, I would think the drive is kicking the bucket. SSDs can suddenly fail by have no symptoms noticed other than an event log error from Windows appear out of nowhere about corrupted files or files otherwise not usable.

9. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #10 moderate, Jul 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    (OP)
    "Desktop heap allocation failed." It isn't even an error in Event Viewer, just a small warning. But it causes tons real of errors after it, when things like MSI installers and disk services get terminated, because there are no free resources for them reserved in the OS.

Also MS "nicely" translate these special terms to your language, so when you Google for it, you have your "Papua-New Guinea" error version, which nobody other has. Slight different translation and you will found nothing.

I consider it quite lucky, that I even found it.
    Note, that clean Windows reinstall wouldn't solve anything in the long term. With more programs installed the limit would be crossed again after some time.

10. JeepWillys58

JeepWillys58 MDL Addicted

Nov 6, 2010
    #11 JeepWillys58, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Hi dear friend @moderate

On my version of Windows this registry key has diferent values:

upload_2020-7-13_9-42-43.png

%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,20480,768 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3 ServerDll=sxssrv,4 ProfileControl=Off MaxRequestThreads=16

upload_2020-7-13_9-41-20.png

And when I read your report the first thing that came to my mind was a problem in the windows registry, but just before I had time to answer you claimed to have found the solution, even so I share the data from the same key that is on my machine and never had any problems as you reported.

And I also only have "some" programs installed on my machine ... lol

upload_2020-7-13_9-59-53.png

I hope I have contributed in some way.

May all of us here at NSANE and also those close to us be safe and well, long and good life for all of us!

Kind Regards,
    @JeepWillys58

11. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    We are at MDL, but slightly insane, too.

12. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Yeah, it's too sad, only insane people everywhere, this is the near future of the Earth...