How can we trust the SHA for 7600.16385.090713-1255?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pinkertons, Jul 17, 2009.

1. pinkertons

pinkertons MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2009
    So, I'm confused.

Many people releases the SHA1 for some ISO that supposedly came from Microsoft (or copied or whatever). But anybody who is offering untouched stuff, is offering the Actual folder, of which you must create your own iso.

I may not understand the ISO format hence my question that if I was to create my own ISO of the folder contents that are genuine from MSFT (unchanged) will I get the same SHA1 as if they created their ISO?

So in short, is creating ISO's a universal process regardless of software you use, yada yada?

If that is true, it makes me even more doubtful of authenticity (not that I am doubting, but it makes wonder), that if creating an ISO today, and creating an ISO 10 days from now, and creating an ISO with Software A vs. Software B is all the same, then somebody could easily create an ISO of their Windows folder that they got from somewhere from Microsoft and edit it or something and then make an ISO, give it's SHA1.

Am I making any sense?

2. tazman137

tazman137 MDL Junior Member

Jul 17, 2009
    There is no way to know what you are getting without it being and iso with legit hash.

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Does it make any sense to download W7 except the MSDN RTM version?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Cipher

Cipher MDL Member

May 31, 2008
    I agree with Yen.

Until MS confirm RTM has been reached and what build and checksum it is I wouldn't waste my time and bandwidth (unless you have nothing better to do). :D

Until someone posts clear screenshots of a technet / MSDN webpage (or some other microsoft source) that shows the file names and checksums for RTM you can't really be sure.
    Saying that screenshots can be shopped with ease but unless they are skilled it's fairly easy to detect tampering on careful inspection so it still remains one of the best early indications.