How do I find my current bios file?? [unlock hidden VT Feature]

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by deevie, Jun 16, 2012.

1. deevie

deevie MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Hi everyone...
    Can anyone please tell me how and where I find my bios file??
    I am trying to update my bios using Phoenix mod tool, and it asks for "original bios".....Where is this located????
    I have the updated bios file.
    I have tried doing it from a usb stick and cd, but for some reason as soon as it boots into dos and the dos prompt is there, I cannot use my keyboard, no keys respond????
    I have a Toshiba Tecra A6
    Running Win 7 x64
    4gig ram
    Any help would be much appreciated
    Thanks in advance....

2. hanor

hanor MDL Novice

May 8, 2012
    you have to put the new bios file also on the cd or usb by the other files so the updater can find it.

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. deevie

deevie MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Hi yen...
    Thanks for the reply.
    I am trying to enable vt on my laptop. I understand I have to update the bios to make the option available to enable it.
    my laptop has a T7200 cpu, which does have vt capability, I just can't enable it.
    I need to enable it so I can use vmware.
    When I try to run any os on vmware it says I eed to have hardware vt enabled.
    As I said....when I try to update the bios from cd or usb, as soon as the dos prompt comes on the screen the keyboard stops working so I can't get any further.
    I downloaded phoenix mod tool to see if I could use that instead, but the first thing it wants is original bios......That takes me back to my original question....
    Does that make it any clearer? and is there anything I can do to get vt enabled???
    Thanks again.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I thought those BIOSupdates from Toshiba come with a windows flasher to flash from windows, not from DOS.
    To enable VT you need to modify the BIOS. There are some instructions how to enable VT at Phoenix BIOS, but it's a complex matter. I don't know myself how to achieve that. You need to decompose the BIOS with andy's tool the BIOSupdate can be downloaded at Toshiba site for your model and then you have to modify bytes / code.

The original BIOS is a *.ROM or *.wph file found in the update zips to be downloaded from Toshiba. But I guess without to know how it works it's hard to make a mod without to brick the notebook.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  7. deevie

deevie MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2012
    #7 deevie, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
    (OP)
    Thanks again yen for the help and info...
    complete model number is PTA60E-0EJ013EN
    All your help is very much appreciated, thank you.
    Also...I have just been on Toshiba site via your link...There is no download for PTA60E...Only PTA60U.
    Does that mean I can't update the bios????

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    hirens boot cd should work

11. deevie

deevie MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Thank you so much for this yen...
    I take it I will have to install a vista 32 os on my lappy now then as I am running win 7 64.
    I suppose it is not too much of a sacrifice to make, if it means I can use vmware properly...
    Once I have installed vista, I will let you know how it has gone, and if I want to go ahead with the mod...
    One last question....once I have updated the bios, can I go back to using win7 64??? Or do I have to stay with vista 32??
    Many thanks again for all your help. I am very impressed with this forum, it is by far the most helpful I have found, and gives the quickest responses.

12. deevie

deevie MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Hi there...thanks for this....is there a link for this somewhere, and is it the same sort of thing as yen suggests??? Can it be done from a 64bit os or doesit have to be run from 32, and vista not win 7???
    Thanks again.

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The problem is that Toshiba's application (winphlash) to flash the BIOS is made for 32 bit OS only.
    So you need either to install a 32 bit OS or to boot hiren boot CD.
    It doesn't matter which OS is already installed since you don't boot it, you boot the CD which has a functional 32 bit OS.

Alternatively you can try to make a DOS bootable USB device and flash your BIOS using phlash17 (PH161700.EXE), which is the DOS application to flash it. The BIOS file is located in the zip and has *.ROM.
    The syntax to flash it is PH161700.EXE /x /s /c /mode=3 yourbios.ROM
    (yourbios.ROM is the biosfilename).

After you have flashed the BIOS it doesn't matter which OS you want run.

14. deevie

deevie MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Ok...I will give it a try, one way or the other...
    I have found hirens boot cd via another thread and have downloaded it.
    is there any particular way to use this cd???
    Not used it before, and there seems to be loads of items on it...
    Anyway, thanks again, as always, you have been very helpful.

15. deevie

deevie MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2012
    .....Allrightythen....
    I have managed to now update my bios, and it is now showing as version 5.60...yayyyy!!!
    BUT.....
    I still do not have anything in the bios to allow me to enable vt????:confused:
    So....yen, or anyone....can someone please show me how I can now enable vt, now my bios is updated????
    Thanks in advance to you all.

16. deevie

deevie MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Hi there yen...

I have now managed to update my bios to version 5.60

I still have no option in the bios for enabling vt though???

In message #9 you said... "If you want to go on, flash the original BIOS update from the link above (Vista version) and tell me if you want to try the mod. The flasher provided by Toshiba works at 32 bit OS only, though."

Can you give me some assistance to get my bios to show the vt enable option as in the screen shot on that message??

So many thanks for your help already....as I said....thanks to your help, I have got the bios upgraded to v5.60.
    :biggrin:
    Kind regards....
    Deevie

17. deevie

deevie MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2012
    OK!!!!
    Anyone......
    I really thought that this was such a helpful forum.....But I have now been waiting 2 weeks for an answer to my last post:confused:
    All I want to know is how to enable the vt option in my bios.....
    So PLEASE!!! Can anyone put me out of my missery, and show me what I have to do????
    Many thanks in advance as always, to anyone that can assist me.
    Regards,
    Deevie