How do OEMs like Dell license their machines - all about asset tags

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Yen, Nov 10, 2008.

1. tommy_vercetti

tommy_vercetti MDL Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Dell Inspirion 1525

Hi,

Just purchased a new Dell Inspirion 1525 and checked SLIC was present in there, installed Vista Ultimate using a custom DVD with the Dell certificate, no luck, tried to run Asset Pass 12\31, Pass 12\34 no luck, downloaded svctag, removed the service tag and entered the same service tag, Voila, Vista activated

Reset all the setting in the BIOS and restarted the Activation still present, again reinstalled Vista from the disc and this time it automatically got activated from the start just like the Vista activated BIOS

I command and I'm all smiles

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    Hey. guys with newly enabled SLICs in Dell machines, please look at your OEM Table ID, and if it is something other than what's listed below, please dump the SLIC (with oemdumper or other methods) and post it here. So far the following are known:

BBK
    FX09
    M07
    M08
    PE_SC3

Thanks in advance.

3. Boost

Boost MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2009
    Hi! Tried this method with my N-Series (comes w/o preinstalled OS) Dell Studio 1535. Asset tool with pass 12/31 and 12/34 isn't working, svctag tool displays error with NVRAM seek or smth. like that and simply quits...
    But then i found the Dell Service EEPROM disc v4.5, and it works!
    So, Dell Studio 1535, Latest Bios A06 (tried with A05 too), OEM Table ID M09 confirmed working.

4. 1manshow

1manshow MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2008
    Can somebody make this post sticky?

5. Yigel08

Yigel08 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2008
    Anybody have an idea how I can get ULTIMATE x86 to work on a DELL 8600 laptop?

I searched but cannot find anything for this DELL model laptop so I kinda stuck at what would be the best path/option to take. Any help input, is greatly appreciated.

Thanx

6. Boost

Boost MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2009
    Oem table ID? (Everest will help you to see ACPI tables)

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I don't even think vista x86 would install on this machine the specs are to low

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes, no problem.:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. maybeamac

maybeamac MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2009
    Hey, Would this work on my little Dell Mini 9? Does changing the Service tag like change your warranty because I thought the service tag was what dell uses to tell how much warranty is left?

10. aslo

aslo MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2009
    Will this work for me?

Im using a Dell about 10 years old and thinking of ugrading(funny) to Vista.
    Everytime i tried to activate, it destroys the boot files and i can boot up vista.
    If i do this bios trick will that screw up any program registrations on my computer?
    Will this allow me to activate vista using one of the activators?
    Or is this only good for a fresh install?

I will reread all these posts as well

thanks

11. Yigel08

Yigel08 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2008
    So, I'm kinda at a lost here, but what about a DELL machine that is COA with Windows XP? If it has the SLIC for Windows XP, wouldn't it be and UPGRADE version of VISTA to make it work?

I unsure on how to procede with getting VISTA on the older DELL computers that are licensed with Windows XP. But if you have an older computer actively running Windows XP OEM, wouldn't the upgrade to VISTA resolve the problem?

Am I missing something here?

Any input or help is greatly appreciated.

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Depending on the age of your machine first thing you should do is go to dell drivers site use your service tag or machine model and see what drivers are available for your machine specifically if it gives you the option of Xp and vista drivers if it does give you the option of vista drivers then get the latest bios update from dell this should add SLIC for vista.

13. itou31

itou31 MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2008
    Hi,

I have a new vostro 1510.
    after changing the mother board (by technical service), Vista cannot activated.
    They do asset and scvtag, but scvtag hang befor deleting eeprom.
    Do they have a new protection or the new board have a eeprom protected write actived ?

14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    If this was Dell technical service that changed motherboard and machine is still under warranty i would be contacting them first before you try anything. Also there should be service tag program to suite your laptop on your dell drivers dvd if you have one you will need to search dvd it is in sub folders.

15. jymmy25

jymmy25 MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2007
    Hi I got a dell Latitude d505 ,I install vista premium on it (I got that version of dell premium sp1 no need to activate) but vista can't be activate always 30 days left. Can u tell me what to do. Please

16. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Probably no slic as it only came with XP OS. If you want to run Vista, you need to use WOW patch or another bootloader. You cannot add SLIC to these bios.

Simply being a Dell Vista does not mean it will activate on all dell machines. Sorry.:D:cool:

17. Yigel08

Yigel08 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2008
    Thanks, did that to the latest which the BIOS is from july 2005 well before V was released.

there's gotta be a way to get V to function on these laptops. Has anyone done a SLIC swap from XP to V?

any other options?

18. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    WOW Patch or bootloader..

19. Yigel08

Yigel08 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2008
    I'll give it a try... Thanx!