How do you think the North Korean crisis will develop?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Sep 5, 2017.

?

How do you think the North Korean crisis will develop?

1. It will continue as at present, being explosive but not exploding

2. North Korea will give in to threats and sanctions

3. US will eat its words and put up with N.K. arming itself

4. A compromise solution will be reached by negotiations

5. US will attack with conventional weapons

6. US will launch a nuclear attack

7. Third World War will start with other superpowers joining in

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yeah after Roosevelt's death things went wrong. (containment policy and domino theory)....
    There is ideology first only then might/weapons/military....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    History shows that Korea was annexed by Japan in 1910 and Japan lost control of Korea at the end of WWII.
    This left a vacuum and the Soviets made a move to take over Korea, It was then decided that Korea would be divided along the 38th parallel. It wasn't until 1950 that N.K. invaded S.K. that started what we call today the Korean war. There was a cease fire in 1953 but never a peace treaty

References:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_of_Korea
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Korea
    Also a comparison to Vietnam
    http://www.historytoday.com/christopher-goscha/vietnam-war

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Japan lost the war due to n-bomb of the US not the control of Korea, but Korea as colony.
    The Japanese had tyrannized the Korean people since then....but Korea never had been freed, the next occupiers came.
    The history of Korea is a very sad one.
    To get more details about separation just consult the Yalta conference document.
    The Sowjets 'joined' the war a short time before its end...(capitulation of Japan)

NK invaded SK is the officially determined start of Korean war, but do not forget the details..

4. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Except for the Iraq war. :whistling:

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #25 Yen, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    And Charlottesville [​IMG]

Edit: Hmm... to try to convince the UN that Kim Jong-un is "begging for war" isn't very constructive, though.

6. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    But Rumsfeld didn't quit over that. ;)

I agree.

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes Germany and Korea and Vietnam have got things in common.

Separation of Germany and Korea both a matter in the Yalta conference. Finally it was all about how to share the cake. The Sowjets brought their idea of communism into their 'shares' while the allies brought capitalism.

And as a German I have got own experiences how to live in a separated nation...and of course the unification.

Anyway each of the three have an own and complex history. And as always the media played a huge role...especially Vietnam war compared to Korean war. There were far more reports / journalism about the Vietnam war and its senselessness and its cause based on the Tonkin lie/constructed stories 'Maddox' ........which had a great influence on the thoughts of the US citizens.

Also today the (social) media play a huge role and also the way Trump 'uses' them...

But as posted already it is about different ideologies and even though the USSR together with the communism broke down the ego-raising capitalism still wants to have it alive as a virtual enemy stereotype.

8. cdavisdeco

cdavisdeco MDL Senior Member

Jul 8, 2015
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    • Albert Einstein, in an interview with Alfred Werner, Liberal Judaism 16 (April-May 1949)

9. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Don’t worry, because the Romans said, “If you want peace, prepare war.”

So with both sides preparing war, we should have peace. And even if we don’t, the Americans will ensure it:

“We are going to have peace even if we have to fight for it.” (Dwight D Eisenhower)

;)

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Pacifist ideals sound very good for peace, but that will not work as long as their are butt heads on this planet. Their ideals view pacifist as weak and only strong survive.
    Many "jihadists" and the like minded live by this ideal, it will spread like a cancer

11. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    #31 JFKI, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Frankly I would enjoy watching those "jihadists" go head to head with the "Shaolin priests". :D

Edit to add :

12. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    The latest update seems particularly disconcerting.

North Korea fires new ballistic missile
    29/11/17

North Korean state television, KCNA, said that missile is the "most powerful ICBM [intercontinental ballistic missile].

The US Defense Ministry said the missile went higher than ever before, describing it as a step towards Pyongyang building missiles that can "threaten everywhere in the world, basically”.

An initial assessment by the US Department of Defense said North Korea fired an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM). This type of missile is capable of carrying nuclear warheads and could reach the mainland of the United States.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/...allistic-missile-reports-171128183017472.html

In the meantime, Trump just shouts threats.

13. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    And what would you like him to do?

14. wyatt23

wyatt23 MDL Member

Apr 2, 2017
    - :suicide:

15. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    What you said in September still rings true. What a coincidence that the fatboy's latest and biggest ever ICBM test takes place the day before Trump is to sign the National Defense Authorization Act. Fear of NK spread by the media conveniently suppresses any debate about all the expensive and intrusive things in that Act.

16. wyatt23

wyatt23 MDL Member

Apr 2, 2017
    The US is more dangerous than North Korea because they beleive that a pre emptive strike is justified, just as they always have since theyve had the bomb. A pre emptive strike is a 1st strike justified or not and will be met with retaliation, however limited.

17. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Who exactly is "They" ?

18. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @JFKI: I would assume he means the international community, seeing as how the USA is the only country to use nukes in wartime.

As necessary as it was, it's still considered an atrocity to some people, and a reason to fear the USA.

FWIW

19. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    That was not my point MJ. Besides I think you have it backwards anyway.

To me that sounds like a blanket statement suggesting that "they" is referring to ALL Americans. That is simply not the case, not that any of us "peons" can do anything about it.

20. wyatt23

wyatt23 MDL Member

Apr 2, 2017
    By the US i mean the decision makers. I criticise a government not its population. The UK government has got blood on its hands but people still say that the UK has blood on its hands, thats ok because i am not and never have been a policy maker.

Henry Rollins said in an interview on the BBC he loves his country so much he feels the need to critcise it to make it better and i point the finger at my own government on a daily basis. :)