How much do you know about your drinking water?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Michaela Joy, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #221 Yen, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    OMG I've calculated it....

2006342.6 litres, around 2 millions liters Kangen water with pH 9.5 plus 2 liters of a solution of pH1 results to a neutral solution of pH7 at 25 degrees! :eek:

I'd have to check that calculation again...unfortunately I have to go now. Maybe somebody can confirm? :p:)

Update: Here is my approach: It seems to be right. Yeah logarithmic scales are fooling most (me included).

Code:
    Steps to calculate and a mathematical approach also for evaluation.

What do we want to calculate?

The mixture should get a pH of 7, means c(H+) = 10^-7 mol / liter I am using variable cM for it.

The stomach acid has got pH of 1, means c(H+) = 10^-1 mol / liter I am using variable cS for it.

Kangen water has got pH of 9.5, means c(H+) = 10^-9.5 mol / liter I am using variable cK for it.

We have a volume of 2 liters of stomach acid. Daily production.
    We know the volume of the mixture Vm is the volume of stomach acid (Vs) plus volume of Kangen water Vk when they come together.

The unknown is Vk!

Now we have to find an equation where there is only one unknown variable.
    We apply stoichiometry. That means our focus is on amount of substance here H+, its unit is mol.

Illustration:

From where do all our protons for the mixture come?

The very most amount comes from the stomach acid: c(H+) = 10^-1 mol / liter.

c(H+)*Vs =  2*10^-1 mol come from stomach acid
    c(H+)*Vk =  10^-9.5*Vk come from Kangen water. Vk is unknown

Then we know the mixture has to have (H+) = 10^-7 mol / liter and we know both solutions will result to a summary of the volumes.
    That means:

cM = (cS*Vs + cK*Vk) / (Vs + Vk)

Lets insert what we know already:

10^-7 = (10^-1*2 + 10^-9.5*Vk) / (2 + Vk)

Voilà: Only one unknown. We are able to resolve the equation for Vk

10^-7 * (2 + Vk) = 10^-1*2 + 10^-9.5*Vk

10^-7 * 2 + 10^-7*Vk = 10^-1*2 + 10^-9.5*Vk

Vk*9,968377223×10^-8 = 1,999998000×10^-1

Vk = 2,006342613×10^6 = 2006342,613 liters of Kangen water are needed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #222 Yen, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    I could not resist to play with the formula since I have been very surprised with that huge amount. (Last post about Kangen water..promised) :D:)

I have to admit that I was wrong. It is not 'harmful' it does nothing at all and is hence useless, lol.
    Stomach acid rules, lol.

All those pH measurements of different waters are nice and colourful, but compared to stomach acid they are actually all the same.

I've found a similar question where medicine students had to calculate a pH change of stomach acid.

They presumed a volume of stomach acid in the morning after wakeup of 0.2 litres only. This doesn’t change much, though.
    You'd still need more than one million of litres of Kangen water to get it to pH7.

And I've calculated the previous 'suggestion' to use a glass of Kangen water (0.2 liter) and add drop-wise some 'stomach' acid.
    If you'd add 1 millilitre only you get a pH of 3.3 already.

What I personally have learned from the last posts...
    I knew that our stomach acid with a pH of 1 is very strong. Stomach acid is natural and has a special purpose. Our natural skin pH is around 5.5, our blood 7.35 to 7.45, the bowels are alkaline. These are natural values and very different values.

We’d need millions of litres of a propagated product to achieve the goal those marketing people are advertising named a neutral or even alkaline stomach!

And have a look how 'sick' this idea of those people really is (I only can say thanks god that it doesn't work).
    When you write the exponents as decimal numbers you get a far better impression

Stomach acid is 10^⁻1 = 0.1
    Neutral water is 10^-7 = 0.0000001

'They' want to tell us a change of something natural called stomach acid by factor one million should be a healthy idea!

And it's really amazing how human body duodenum and the like changes it to alkaline when it comes to bowels. That is an impressive work! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    You think that's impressive, you should see what my intestinal things can create after I eat a large bowl of baked beans.
    But I think that gets into the air pollution subject and not on topic with water

4. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    haha sorry dude but I don't resist about bowl of baked beans :rofl: and off topic too :rolleyes:

5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Beans...Beans. The musical fruit. :D

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    haha MJ I like very much beans I eat everyday so I'm strong for more time lol :p and off topic too :rolleyes:

7. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Tiger-1,Joe C: the beans thing was funny. Even though it was off topic, I enjoyed it. :)

Back on point: So basically, what have we learned here?

We learned that alkali water is not healthy, as some would claim. If you're going to acidify your water, do it naturally with lemons and / or limes. The acids will actually help with digestion, and the citrus fruits contain natural vitamin C.

We also learned that not all water filters are created equal. Just about all of them filter chlorine, but very few filter fluorine. Some remove organic toxins, some don't.

Do your homework and choose wisely.

Although you can control the water you drink, what about bath / shower water?
    The biggest problem was heat and activated charcoal, as it would ruin the filter very quickly.

Also, chloroamines pose a problem, simply because the current technology is not designed to remove
    them from the water.

These shower filters are based on Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)

https://reactual.com/home-and-garden/toiletries/best-shower-filter.html

https://www.propurusa.com/Shower-Filter-with-Promax-and-Massage-Head.html

Definitely worth looking at. :)

n.b.: The Propur filters remove chloroamines. ;)

8. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yay MJ I like very much Propur :D but I think is hmm expensive but very interesting too :)

9. john454

john454 MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2017
    I prefer always filter drinking water.It is safe and fresh I think.

10. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
  11. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    :eek: Wow.

https://consumerist.com/2017/08/16/poland-spring-bottled-water-accused-of-being-a-colossal-fraud/

12. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    If you start noticing that chlorine 'tang', it's time to change the filter. I just changed mine, because I started to noticed the difference in taste.

And when you take that top lid off, does that smell not remind you of a swimming pool?

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #233 Yen, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    ‘Removing’ compounds from water affects a wide range of Chemistry and Physics when it comes to filters.
    Since there are several different filters and the manufacturers actually do not publish the needed details not even a Chemist can judge about the quality of such a filter in advance.

Another difficulty is that the consumers have different compounds and amounts of them in their water. So they cannot determine the time when the filter will be exhausted and they do not know if the microbiological growth does things make even worse.

They also do not really know if they do what’s advertised.
    From a pure scientific view it is unadvisable to use a filter without to have an analysis of the own tap water, collected directly from the tap….and to have a comparison analysis after filtering.

It is more reasonable to use reverse osmosis and to add missing minerals.
    Osmosis is closest to the meaning of purifying and does not have much exceptions, is more reliable, is effective and also filters off microorganisms and has no filter surface for microbiological regrowth.

A remark to Fluorine.
    It is the most reactive element of any. It is never present in water and hence cannot be removed as such!

2F2(g) + 2H2O(l) -> O2(g) + 4HF(aq)
    3F2(g) + 3H2O(l) -> O3(g) + 6HF(aq)

Fluoride can be removed by ion exchange or by precipitation.

Chloramines are formed when Chlorine is used for disinfection and other amines or amides are present in water.

Here is another thing. We are speaking of a class of chemical compounds because of their functional group (moiety).

However all those compounds do NOT belong to a class when it is related to a filter principle!
    They would if you use a more general principle just as reverse osmosis.

There is a way to remove compounds by chemical reaction and by adsorption.
    The filter manufacturer does not differentiate.

What is the difference?
    At the later the compound remains in the filter.
    At the former the compound vanishes and a product of it remains in the water

Ascorbic acid is a very good water-soluble organic acid which is quite strong.
    But furthermore it is a reductant.
    It is NOT very stable in aqueous solution because it gets easily oxidized by oxygen from air and the oxygen which is dissolved in water.

It’d ‘remove’ chloramines by reaction of those but the products remain in the water.

But most of the ascorbic acid gets already used by reduction of oxygen (and if present chlorine) which is dissolved in the water.

You can get some pure vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and dissolve it in water.
    Then have a look at it next day the vitamin C has gone already and you have got a yellow solution.

Consider why it is advised to have always fresh fruits and veggies for a proper vitamin C supply!!!

Hmm..I don’t think your filtered water is any better than the original….it looks very questionable.

14. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Yup. We have no filter at work so we draw the water for the keurig into a pitcher and let it set for a day before we use it to help dissipate that smell.

15. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    The taste is very different and there is no more headache when brewing the coffee in my keurig.
    One of the contaminants here has a boiling point of around155 degrees. If you brew a normal pot it evaporates off, keurig doesn't give it a chance to do that.

Have a peek at https://www.propurusa.com/Lab-Reports_ep_48-1.html

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I actually meant the particular filter from the picture, it looks like it is exhausted since the color has already reached the filter-exit.

I'll have a look..although a self-commissioned report might be biased (some unpleasant results are simply not listed) and as said 'removed' does not really mean taken away without anything in return.

'Removed' can mean
    -exchanged
    -chemically transformed by chemical reaction
    -really removed..it is adsorbed in the filter and nothing else is released

17. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Yen: The ceramic filter looks really ugly, but those are particulates that are in the water.

(rust from old cast-iron pipes, diatoms, particulates) You'd be amazed at the garbage in our water here.

As part of the maintenance, you would scrub off that rust and dirt, running the filter under cold water. (No soap. Just plain tap water.)
    I always give the top chamber a rinse before I fill it up again. You can also scrub down the top chamber.

Then, it's good to go.

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    @JFKI
    I had a look at the analyses especially at NSF - 42&53 Test Report.

It does not attract much negative attention at first place. Only a few do:

Heavy Metal Contaminants:
    Aluminum, Beryllium, and Selenium are no heavy metals regardless of different definitions.

And the mentioned chloramines. You always need a lead compound as reference no organic functional group.
    An exception are Ions. It can be reasonable to name nitrates, nitrites as group without a particular compound.

At bottom there is a useful additional remark to be considered: "The reduction of contaminants or other substances that may be present in your water supply may vary depending on its content......"

What's missing, though is the description of the analyses.
    Did they use a mixture of all the substances, their named groups only or compound by compound?
    How exactly have they obtained the samples?

I know to get own detailed analyses of the own tap water is expensive.
    But group analyses might help to choose the right filter.

TOC (total organic carbon) is very reasonable.
    Also heavy metals
    Also some questionable anions such as fluoride and nitrate.
    If indicated by smell chlorine filter. Actually no analyses is needed the own nose is good enough here, lol.

When you get headache from original water then there must be something acutely wrong with it!
    Does it smell like swimming pool? Some get headache because of chlorine. A longer boiling time might help.

'Bad' water usually is feared because of its long-time action.

If I had your water at home I would use a filter of course. And I would only use it for cooking meals and not for drinking.
    I'd buy water instead.

19. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    #239 JFKI, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    This is last years water quality report stripped of identifiable information.
    (Sorry, my filehost does not do https)

http://b2.ifrm.com/309/115/0/p710111/Water_1.png
    http://b2.ifrm.com/309/115/0/p710112/Water_2.png
    http://b2.ifrm.com/309/115/0/p710113/Water_3.png

Have fun. :D

PS. when I made coffee with my old conventional pot you could watch the water vapor evaporate from the space between the filter and the top of the pot. With the Keurig there is no water vapor expelled. I think this is why I was getting headaches, one of the volatile chemicals which has a lower boiling point than water was getting boiled off which simply by the design of the keurig is next to impossible. The headache felt like an ethane or benzine headache.
    (spent many years mechanicing on trucks inside with poor ventilation and learned which chemicals caused which type of headache.)

20. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #240 Yen, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Hmm free chlorine is not mentioned.

Some organic compounds are <10
    2-Hexanone, 2-Methy-2-Pentanone, Chloroform actually 12, Nitrobenzene, MEK, TBA, THF, total Trihalomethanes...
    IMHO they all should be below the detection level or below 1.

Most are actually organic solvents used in pharmaceutical companies or petrochemistry..also metalworking companies...is there such industry around?
    I wonder why they are present...Nitrobenzene and Chloroform and MEK are suspicious. Chloroform is a Trihalomethane. CHCl3

Does your (cold) water smell? Swimming pool or like a sweet touch combined with benzine like odour?

Most organic solvents usually are forming an (positive) azeotrope together with water (they themselves can have a higher boiling point than water anyway). That means they decrease, yes decrease (steam pressure minimum) the boiling point of boiling water and get off...also some are volatile together with steam...

I suggest to boil your water (at least) in an open pot...