How much do you know about your drinking water?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Michaela Joy, Sep 30, 2016.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Oh, it starts with "d" but it ain't diamonds... :D It's your "darlin'"... :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    "batteries not included"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    C is for cynic, innit Joe? :p

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    @Michaela Joy

I had a brief look at the analysis results. I have experiences with that, but in a different way. Toxic substances become more and more a matter when we get herbals/plants from all over the world. Generally PCBs and pesticides.

But nowadays PAs (pyrrolizidine alkaloids). Keyword: natural poison from PA producing plants.

I know that organic substances with a larger aromatic system do absorb in a better way. Those who are well soluble in water do rather not.
    And I know the heavy metals do better exchange than the 'lighter'. Also those Ions who have a greater charge than +1.

People need to know there are different affinities to the Ion exchanger and concurrent effects.
    Calcium displaces a already absorbed Sodium Ion and a Aluminium Ion displaces an already absorbed Calcium Ion. This has to be related to the maximum capacity. It's like a 'fight' of Ions and the results depend on the composition of the water to be purified.

The results look reasonable, though. Inorganic minerals also. Anyway I know there are organic substances who do not absorb well. Such are uncomfortable and are mostly not listed with intent.
    And I know Ion exchangers are based on modified polystyrene which might bleed out.

I had a conversation with a friend. She also don't like to have any organic substances in her water. She favours reverse Osmosis. I did not know that it's already affordable for household use.

5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Yen: IMHO, it's continuous exposure to these substances over time. The more you can get rid of, the better, although the effects are cumulative.
    You get to a point where the damage is done, and all you can do is try to protect yourself from more damage.

If I understand correctly, adding flurosilicic acid to the drinking water is against the law in many countries. Not here.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1233.html

The filter I have is one of the only filters that removes it from the water. I went looking for that specific type because of what I read about fluorine swapping itself with calcium in your bones.

True. Not to mention the cation or anion exchange resin used.

Sure there are more natural ways to do it, but I'm willing to bet that they are just too expensive to be profitable in an American consumer market.

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    'K... anyone speaking English here? :D :D :D

7. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @gorski: Nope. We're speaking a more universal language...

Chemistry. :thumbsup:

8. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^^
    that is origin of all things :p

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    ...including horrors of all sorts... especially nowadays... :(

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Chemistry has done many good things too....
    Like making it possible to clean the chemicals from our drinking water
    :rofl:

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    :D

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Chemistry better said the measurement methods coming from physical chemistry do create their own cause and effect chain and hence their 'right' to exist.
    Pharmacology then 'helps' to justify.
    That's actually quite cynical, lol.

In the 50s one could hardly determine amounts in the milligram range. Then in the 70s when electronics came up to replace human senses humans were able to go down to the micro gram range (Photometry).
    Nowadays with sensible mass spectrometer (Triple Quadrupol) we can go down the atto gram range. (a few hundreds).

I never forget a report. A scientist has collected different water samples from the Rhine river. His goal had been to determine the amount of Cocaine and its human metabolites to make an overview of abuse along down the river.
    Thanks to current sensitivities of the measurement devices he could achieve that.

In the past humans could not find such low concentrations at all. Since we can now we are also able to make all sorts of conclusions.
    It also comes along with a reason for concerns. We do find now many different substances in our water. We relate those to pharmacological actions and voilà we have a self-justifying chain.

The pharmaceutical/chemical industry produces 'agents'.
    The pharmaceutical/chemical industry can measure and find. The pharmacologists confirm harmful actions.
    The chemical industry develops measures / products for remedy.

Perfect!!! They always have their existence of products justified. Agents, measurement devices and purifying devices. :thumbsup:

I think besides all that we should not lose the relation. Water isn't more dangerous only because we can now find anything. And the propagated accumulation in body is no one way mechanism. We have anywhere diffusion and metabolism!

I want to end this post with a more 'philosophical' view.
    What I am noticing is that humankind nowadays tends to create an alienated worldview. Everywhere can be danger, you have to take care it can be right behind the next corner. lol.

I don't want to diminish what all bad we are doing with our environment, absolutely not.

BUT : If you behave antagonistic/distrusting to the world 'outside' which is just a mirror of inside, then the world outside will do the same 'to you'.!!!

In other words: When you have a look for potential dangers which might harm you, you'll find them for sure. And you are going to a defensive/mistrust mode. And when 'overdoing' that your world will turn into an alien world. And it will be only a question of time until you get harmed. It is your wanted confirmation so to say.

IMHO one should do what is 'reasonable' for the particular person. But never forget it is always the own relation to a problem that makes its weight. And to protect 'us'....is a relative endeavour with absolutely no guarantees.

I enjoy the water as it is. And buy others from other springs to enjoy the variety of nature.
    I still smoke from time to time. Considering that the water quality is out of relation for me.

Maybe start smoking? :) J/K :p:D

13. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    I'm curious if people here have opinions/experience drinking alkaline water.

A couple friends have talked about the benefits of it and one has an expensive machine that makes it. The machine runs water over metal plates that have electricity running through them and it ionizes the water (I think). He filled a couple 5 gallons jugs for me to try and it definitely tastes better than the normal purified water I get from my local water store.

Both friends talk about big health benefits from drinking alkaline water (pH around 9.5-10). I haven't noticed anything different after going through maybe 40 gallons of it, but they say the benefits are subtle and take time to see. :rolleyes:

Apparently these home alkaline water processing machines are popular in Japan. My local water store has one and I've been getting alkaline water there recently. The machine will make water up to a pH level of 11, though that high of level is not recommended for drinking.

The lady at the water store is a big believer in alkaline water also and she said that's the only type of water she drinks now that they have the machine.

14. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi PointZero hehe I also stay curious about this "specie" of water one thing that I'm sure is here where I live water is amazing no have nothing added on it only nature maybe for this I still have a good health :rolleyes:

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yen, it depends if you are truth or lie "bent"...

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Yen... Smoking what?
    you did not specify

17. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @PointZero: It shouldn't be harmful, but personally, I wouldn't do it. Throughout the last century, many "elixirs" have been touted as having incredible health benefits.
    Most of them ended up being placebos, and some were downright harmful.

I looked into distilled water, as well as alkali water and went for the filter I have. As Yen said, some filtering processes remove the good minerals along with the bad ones.
    So, you need to check your mineral levels (Your doctor can do this with a blood test) and make sure that you don't need some kind of mineral supplement.

IMHO, You'd be better off cutting up lemons and limes and squeezing them into filtered water. But don't do it with that Alkali water, because Acid + Alkali = some form of salt + water.

18. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Thanks for the info MJ. Yeah, I think I'll stop drinking it (until I find more concrete facts about it).

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Actually cigarettes when I am with friends at weekends. Can be a joint for recreation as well.
    I never smoke at work, though.

The first chemical agent so to say water does meet when you drink it is your stomach acid. Its major part is hydrochloric acid. The pH value is around 1. The epithelial cells of the gastric mucosa prevent digestion of the stomach itself. The first thing that happens (the same MJ mentioned when squeezing lemon juice into it) is a classic neutralisation. This means it lowers the amount of stomach acid and produces salts and water.
    To have a better view on this one needs to know:

The pH scale is a logarithmic scale (base is 10) it is NOT linear. This means a difference of 1 pH value (delta pH =1) requires a change of concentration of the acid (actually protons) by factor 10. Delta 2 would mean factor 100 already.
    Changing the water to pH 9.5 to 10 is a huge impact already. If you would water flowers with it I bet no one would survive a longer time.
    But we have a stomach with buffer capacity.
    Drinking such water is actually just like to use a proton-pump inhibitor (meds) all the time. (Such like Omeprazole).
    It's indicated when you have got a gastritis.

The stomach acid is also there to protect you from pathogens.

I myself for example -when I travel- do not drink that much before I eat. I want to have undiluted stomach acid to have full acid power so to say to encounter potential pathogens of 'foreign food'.
    This is a little effortless measure..maybe responsible for the fact that I never got really sick when travelling through S/E Asia (except a little bit of diarrhoea, lol)

Short: I'd not drink it. The reason is simple. Humans are not used to drink alkaline water a longer time. The body will counteract it with neutralisation depending on buffer capacity. You actually disturb a natural human body balance. Stomach acid is needed for digestion and defence of pathogens.
    I'd make sense if you have a already disturbed balance by eating a lot of acid containing foods all the time.

A balanced nutrition is by far more important than to fiddle with water contents and pH, except there are substances in the water which do not belong to it like organic substances and metabolites.

You mean just blowing smoke or being honest to oneself?
    It is a learning thing not to get involved into anything. There are that many things one can get worried about.
    It’s art of life to get a good balance of a responsible life and an unburdened...I am still learning.

20. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Yen: I was just looking at the post and saying to myself "I left out the part about HCL in the stomach."

Thanks. :)