How to add MTP support to N version of Windows 7 without bloat

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tosgaba, May 19, 2019.

1. tosgaba

tosgaba MDL Junior Member

Nov 22, 2009
    #1 tosgaba, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Hi all,
    Recently I installed N version of Win 7 Ultimate and started using, but when I attached my Note 9 USB Composite Device, MTP and CDC ACM drivers failed to install.
    I made some research and found out that because of N version MTP related functions are disabled.
    I went for further research and found out if I extract the needed drivers and related files from Media Feature Pack (KB968211) properly I can use MTP.
    So here the jam begins;
    Which Packages and files are obligatory to extracted and added/integrated?
    Any help/guidance will be greatly appreciated and will be helpful to me and others who wants to avoid wmp garbage but to be able to use MTP function.
    Thanks in advance
    Here are some pictures regarding problem from device manager

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      121.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      105.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.PNG
      3.PNG
      File size:
      145 KB
      Views:
    • 4.PNG
      4.PNG
      File size:
      108.6 KB
      Views:
    • 5.PNG
      5.PNG
      File size:
      308.4 KB
      Views:
  2. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    He does not need the Samsung drivers to run MTP mode. Those have an own proprietary MTP driver, but are usually installed to get ADB and Odin mode working.
    The N versions are lacking of MTP support.

@tosgaba: Why don't you install the entire Media-Format Feature Pack?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tosgaba

tosgaba MDL Junior Member

Nov 22, 2009
    That's the easy way but I don't wanna install whole Media Feature Pack just for single one feature.
    I looked into MF Pack but couldn't determine which folders and files are needed. So I decided to open a thread here in the hope of someone can help/guide me.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #6 Yen, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Those files are usually just indexed and are renamed on installation. There is also locale dependent stuff.
    The 64 bit version is not even 19 MB. I don't get why you don't install it entirely?!
    N versions are crippled with intent. It is not just a no media player version...

BTW: Have you tried to get the *.inf from a non N version and had a look into it? The MTP related inf must be wpdmtp.inf.
    I guess if you want to make the efforts just 'grab' what you need from a non N version consulting the wpdmtp.inf rather than to try to figure what's needed from the MFP itself....

Not sure if you get anything together, though. And then it has to be registered as well....
    IMHO its a waste of time.

6. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Precisely.