How to disable updates forever? Windows 10 Pro

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by alexmira232, May 21, 2018.

1. whatever127

whatever127 MDL PHP Wizard

Nov 9, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. mspaintmsi

mspaintmsi MDL Novice

May 9, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    That's brilliant. Why didn't I think of that? One reason is I wouldn't know how to do what you did, but my intent wasn't to "stop updates forever" but to "disable updates until I wanted to manually check like Windows 7 does it", and I just happened to stop updates forever without caring about being able to use the store since I never use it. I never figured in the number of people who would buy games on the store (I would never do that because it locks you into the MS ecosystem). I also didn't know starting out that a lot of people would tie their xbox account to Windows 10. But even if I had known these things I wouldn't have done anything differently with my project because I made it for me and other people just started using it. Thanks for coming up with a solution to this problem for heavy store users. Would it be possible to make a local emulated WSUS server that always returns that the client is up to date?

4. whatever127

Nov 9, 2012
    Yes, my WSUS implementation is a single PHP file that does everything, but requires many update files from real WSUS server that are used during initial client configuration. With some effort it is possible to modify it to be running as local emulated WSUS server, with just one ~30KB file from real WSUS server.

5. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    #85 abbodi1406, Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    I always wondered if this undocumented WU policy works :innocent:
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "DisableAllUnmanagedUpdateServicesWhenWsus"=dword:00000001

maybe it will kill store updates too?

6. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I don't know why people keep asking how to disable W10 updates. All you need is to disable related services and scheduled tasks, but you may need TrustedInstaller/NSudo permissions to do so.

7. NST_Adventure

NST_Adventure MDL Addicted

Jun 1, 2019
    #87 NST_Adventure, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    @sungerbob
    Great :SmallAwesomeSmiley: @sungerbob i will wait to help you futher ;)

8. NST_Adventure

Jun 1, 2019
    #88 NST_Adventure, Dec 14, 2019
    Oh Very Well...... @sungerbob
    There is 2 way that we can do now ;) :
    1.Put This Script On Startup So We Can Disable Update Every We Boot Into Windows As Result Windows Update [Maybe] Will Disabled Forever :)
    2.Use @pf100 Sledgehammer Windows Update Control Script :) ;)
    Hmmm....:g:
    How's that? :g: :);)

Best Regards
    NST_Adventure

9. sungerbob

sungerbob MDL Junior Member

Nov 8, 2014
    But you can't use windows store after disabling windows update service. TrustedInstaller method didn't work, updates still installed in background. Disabling scheduled tasks didn't work too.

I want to use store so disabling services is not option for me. Also you can use WU Toggle Script to control updates or make yourself by editing these services depend options.

sc config BITS depend= RpcSs[Blocked]
    sc config UsoSvc depend= rpcss[Blocked]
    sc config WaaSMedicSvc depend= rpcss[Blocked]
    sc config WerSvc depend= [Blocked]
    sc config DoSvc depend= rpcss[Blocked]
    sc config wuauserv depend= rpcss[Blocked]

I'm trying stopwinupdates script again, it looks like it's working but need a time to sure about this. Maybe I misunderstood defender update = automatic forced update while using stopwinupdates.

10. NST_Adventure

Jun 1, 2019
    Oh Very..... Very....Welll :)
    At least i trying my best to help you :) ;)

Thank you :) ;)

Best Regards
    NST_Adventure

11. NST_Adventure

Jun 1, 2019
    Hi @pf100 because you need to online to use this WSUS Server???

...can someone make local version of this server?i think this will going to be fun ;)

Thank you ;)

Best Regards
    NST_Adventure

12. sungerbob

sungerbob MDL Junior Member

Nov 8, 2014
    #92 sungerbob, Dec 14, 2019
    I can finally have windows store experience without automatic forced things thanks to the StopWinUpdates. It's working as intended.
    @BALTAGY thank you so much :)

13. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I don't know about Windows Store because I never use it. I mostly use LTSB/LTSC or MGMG-ed/NTLite-ed/De-Store-ized versions. Disabling Windows Update, Windows Update Repair/Medic, Update Orchestrator Services + Windows Update Scheduled Tasks always worked on versions 1607-1903 for me with NSudo.

14. Dude Guyman

Dude Guyman MDL Senior Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Sorry about that then. It works for me on 1607 - 1903. Don't know beyond that. It does require a reboot to take effect though I'm pretty sure...you didn't just leave it running afterward did you? I tested by using the reg file, rebooting, then checking for updates (when I know there are some) and it returns with an error (intended...a 'good error') about trying again later.

15. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Yes. MS could easily block your URL from being used, and they probably will, as Malware could also use that trick for preventing PCs from getting patched against vulnerabilities. However, they can not block local implementations with variable configurable addresses.

I guess I'm going to change my avatar for a while, to celebrate your efforts and achievements...

16. whatever127

Nov 9, 2012
  17. Ramon Nivar

Ramon Nivar MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2019
    It doesn't work,bro.

18. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    #98 TairikuOkami, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019

Attached Files:

19. NST_Adventure

Jun 1, 2019
    Hahaha:stupid:

Best Regards
    NST_Adventure

20. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Well, I need to disable windows update on the 1st boot after a clean install because I don't want it to automatically install drivers for my devices. I prefer to install my own drivers and only then I enable windows update.

What I do is stop wuauserv service and set it to disabled. Install everything I want and set wuauserv service to manual (default) and reboot.
    Seems to work but is there an alternative?