How to do this with CBROM?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by knoblauch, Oct 20, 2008.

1. knoblauch

knoblauch MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2007
    Thanks again! Here is not that late but I won't flash this one and I can't, cause it is for my friend and I dunt have this board. :eek:

I'll let the people here try or I post the result when I get some feed back from my friend.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I'm sorry to say your module 1 XGROUP size has changed. This should not be. Don't flash the mod!
    Have you done any modifications at module 1? Check the size original 9FE9h, yours A008h:confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. knoblauch

knoblauch MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2007
    #23 knoblauch, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
    (OP)
    I always modded that module to add some xp oem strings. And never got a problem with that.
    And in this one the size difference is already calculated.

What was your concern? :confused:

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I thought it was by accident:) I usually use the systembios to add the oem strings.

I'm using offset 1D000h of decompressed systembiosfile as reference address since it is always mapped to FD000h physical memory.

So no problem I didn't know that you've modified it as well......;)
    I've never used the xgroup module therefore. So I've learned something new as well.

I've to quit now, have a nice week.:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. knoblauch

knoblauch MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2007
    #25 knoblauch, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
    (OP)
    Then I am relieved! :p And if you have interest to try that later, you can find your modded oem string under the dmi section in Everest.
    The method adding them to systembios I have just found out today and haven't tried it yet. Maybe it is easier, cause you only need to put those strings in the 00 area and in xgroup I need to overwrite some none continous text blocks.

And good night to you!

6. knoblauch

knoblauch MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2007
    Yen, I have a problem with this none modbin method. If I modify a 1MB BIOS I use the same command /other 5000:0 sysbios to compress that system bios? I tried this method on my own p35 ds4 board, it wrecked my BIOS and thank to God I get it recovered with all hard disks disconnected :eek:

The position of GV3 modules etc. are unaffected. I used the SSV3 method with the SLIC is embeded into the system bios. The same bios version which I did with modbin works like a charm. So something is messed up with the none modbin approach, but I dunno what was wrong. I appended the 0xFF byte after systembios module. and then copy modded awardext.bin + oems.bin + acpitbl.bin after that, and it follows perfectly with the ggroup.bin etc...

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I don't have tools here, a (short) reply anyway.
    Have you added a module using cbrom as FINAL step (and released it again if you don't need it) to make cbrom correct the bios checksum?

Your modbin mod worked?:D;). What about the extension of some bytes after rebuild bios? Just cut off?

The re-compression of systembios cbrom /other 5000:0 IS reliable and works for sure, the problem must be somewhere else....
    Two days ago I did a complete cbrom only SSV3 mod plus SLP1 for Xfilz and it worked like a charm. (It was Asus award bios anyway)
    If you make the SSv3 method, the new resulted compressed space is much bigger, cause you've to insert a complete new SLIC. Also the size of ACPI table is extended.
    How did you save space to remain the offset of the following sensitive modules?
    Have you remained the order of the modules?

As members at revels haven forum confirm:
    One sensitive module only: no problem
    Two sensitive module only: no problem
    Three and up: Copy and paste method using cbrom to re-compress. Offsets must be remained.
    No problem means latest modbin should work, or the way I prefer (time consuming, but who wants a bricked board???:D)

I'm extracting and releasing ALL the modules last one first reversing the order, untill the systembios is left over. Now I do the modification of systembios, copy and paste it into the 'core biosfile', add FFh byte.

Finally fill up the bios remaining the modules' order.
    The offsets of sensitive modules have chaged now, but cbrom182 was able to correct the enty point of them....

Btw: GV3 containing AGESACPU isn't sensitive, containing *INIT, yes......

More about later, have to work........;)

8. knoblauch

knoblauch MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2007
    I don't correct the checksum, maybe that is the problem. Where is the checksum located? And how much bits?

Yeah, it worked. I just cut off the last 2 bytes in case it increases the BIOS file's size.

I moved the epa logo to the end, where the oems.bin I added with cbrom.
    And the oems.bin compensate the size difference and the order is:
    sysbios, xgroup, oems, acpi, ... I copied all those modules from another file. Again this affects the checksum which I haven't thought of.

I haven't done it this way, I just copy those modified modules back to the bios without using cbrom.
    But I did use cbrom whith the modbin approach, maybe this is the reason why it worked. Checksum, Checksum...

Have fun at work! :D

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes! If its size is smaller I'm overwriting the last bytes of old systembios with FFh bytes. You'll see after you've added the modules using cbrom, last FFh byte 'after' compressed systembios is remained.

11. knoblauch

knoblauch MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2007
    Ok, it was indeed caused by the wrong checksum. Now the bios works :D