How to Install Windows 11 without TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by spinalGR, Sep 1, 2021.

1. spinalGR

spinalGR MDL Senior Member

Oct 16, 2014
    1. You would need to download Windows 11 ISO. If you cant download it from the Microsoft Official website then get creative and google how to download Windows 11 ISO.

2. Download and extract TPM error fix zip file (attached file)

3. Copy all content from the Windows 11 ISO to a new folder.

4. Copy and replace the appraiserres.dll from the extracted TPM error fix zip file to the sources folder.

5. Once done. Run the setup.exe to install Windows 11.

Attached Files:

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The zip just contains the dll, no fix at all.

And why not just use the tool(s) which already are out there and do the same thing and more (not only for upgraded).

We are an a tech forum, providing all ISOs (by all possible means, why would we have to google for it?).

3. crossup

crossup MDL Member

Jun 20, 2015
    I simply DISM apply-image the wim and add that partition/vhdx in boot entry.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    That doesn't help at upgrading where the appraiserres.dll replacement is solely meant for.

+ the mentioned tool(s) provide(s) that too.

5. deafsinger

deafsinger MDL Junior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Windows 11 to be released on 5th October.
    We´ll soon see how this all turns out.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I used to ad some Registry entries to the Registry of Windows 10 Pro.

Here is my way:
    run Regedit as Administrator

go to
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\LabConfig]

Ad the following keys:
    "BypassTPMCheck"=dword:00000001
    "BypassRAMCheck"=dword:00000001
    "BypassSecureBootCheck"=dword:00000001

Save the Registry and reboot Windows afterward.
    Now you could mount the Windows 11 ISO and start the Setup.exe from the Sources Folder, do not use the setup from the root of the ISO!

This way I'd installed Windows 11 Pro on an Acer laptop from 2011 with no Secure Boot, no TPM, and not supported CPU. You could install Windows 11 on its own HDD/SSD, or even on the same HDD as the running Windows 10, in which case you'll need to have at least about Unallocated space of 20+GB. Important is that those space is unallocated, not formatted and don't have any Drive Letter!

Work now for me!

Edit: you could also look at my thread here: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/w11-installed-on-10year-acer-laptop.84043/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #7 Enthousiast, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    This is everybodies "way" and they apply to boot.wim index 2, boot.wim is used when installing from boot, not upgrading.

For upgrading you only need to replace the appraiserres.dll with one from a 1703 ISO and simply run setup.exe from the root of the ISO.

Can you show me "labconfig" in the registry of the live install?

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @Enthousiast:

Didn't you got it? I was NOT booting from the Windows 11 ISO, the Windows 11 ISO was either be mounted from within running Windows 10 Pro and/or extracted to a folder of the Windows 10 Pro storage drive C! I did both of them and used in both the Setup.exe file from the Sources Folder of that Windows 11 ISO and NOT the Setup.exe file from the root of ISO! The last would have worked!

I had to do that installation twice because I crashed the first install from the extracted ISO after W11 was finish installed and running on its own. for the second install, I used the mounted ISO and the Setup.exe from the Sources Folder. both times the installation wasn't a live install and/or started from the ISO, both were started from the running Windows 10 Pro 21H1! So, again, the installation wasn't a live install at all, just a clean install to its own, new partition!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. WinFree

WinFree MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Do you need the TPM module hooked to MB in order to install Windows 11 or do you need to upgrade BIOS with TPM function?

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    AFAIK, the TPM isn't in the BIOS, it's either a Module on the Mainboard or, by newer CPUs of Intel and/or AMD build-in in the CPU.

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @Enthousiast:
    You really should read my posts, here and in my other thread!

I clearly stated:
    1.: I installed Windows 10 Pro 21H1 on the 480GB SSD and installed Windows 10 Pro there to a working OS;
    2.: I added those registries entries to the Windows 10 Registry;
    3.: I created a Partition (nearly) the same size as I'd done for Windows 10 Pro with no drive letter and not formatted;
    4.: At the first install of Windows 11 I extracted the W11 ISO to a new folder (C:\win11\), at the second install I mounted the W11 ISO from within Windows 10 Pro 21H1;
    5.: I installed Windows 11 Pro using the Setup.exe from the Sources Folder of the extracted/mounted W11 ISO, NOT the Setup.exe from the ISO Root;
    6.: I used BCDEDIT to change the setup created as Windows 10 for the Windows 11 install, to Windows 11.
    That's it!

I do not use any VM! I also didn't use the BOOT.WIM at all! And even never stated that I did that!

And it is true, I have a Dual Boot of Windows 10 Pro and Windows 11 Pro! That was the reason I had to use BCDEDIT to change the names to be correct!

The installation of Windows 11 was with no problems and works, The problem I have now with the BIOS, may have nothing to do with Windows 11, I think. By startup the Laptop, I just get the Windows Boot Manager and could chose which I want to use now 10 or 11! No problem with that!

Updates were also working for W11!

Don't was the need to editing the ISO and change some files! Or some of the other things you wrote about!

As I see it, using My Way (I still tell it as such, even you don't like that!) the installation of Windows is just a very easy 'game' to play with. and this version isn't even the final, just a Beta!

I write this post on my Desktop, but I may place some screenshots later on to this post, (without any personal data Name etc.) so you could see it's working

That's all!

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  14. erpsterm35

erpsterm35 MDL Expert

May 27, 2013
  15. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #17 AveYo, Sep 2, 2021
    OK, let's clear things up:
    - setting up BypassTPMCheck etc. allows running sources\setup.exe - the one driving setup when booting from media as well as from within windows, without bitching about TPM etc. - but that can only be used for clean installs, not for upgrades
    - which is what @pisthai did: a clean install on another partition from within windows
    - guess it still counts as an achievement vs the more convoluted alternatives (editing wim's - fkin kidding me? ) but it obviously has a big drawback in requiring an already installed windows just to do a clean install, so kinda useless for a new pc
    - upgrades on the other hand are done via sources\setuphost.exe that does not give a f11ck about those bypass keys

NOW, what is the non-convoluted alternative, imho:
    - for upgrades, you don't need to worry about what build to get a replacement for, just delete sources\appraiserres.dll from the w11 media
    - for clean installs, instead of messing with wim and other kung fu like apply image to partition, just create bypass.bat on the w11 media
    Code:
    del /f /q "%~dp0sources\appraiserres.dll"
    for %%X in (RAM SecureBoot Storage TPM) do reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\LabConfig /v Bypass%%XCheck /d 1 /t reg_dword /f
    start "11" "%~dp0sources\setup.exe"

that you can run at the first boot windows 11 setup screen via Shift+F10:
    D:\bypass
    (where D is the letter for the setup media, just try next until it starts i.e. E:\bypass F:\bypass)

I have tested this myself just now on a gen3 i7 desktop (upgrade from 10), and a clean install on a fujitsu-siemens laptop from 2006 with t5500 cpu and 2GB ram ;)

16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #18 Enthousiast, Sep 2, 2021
  17. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    sorry, meant to say pisthai, did not notice he was not op (mistaken it for his other lame tread ;))
    Still, some modicum of credit should be given (not to OP ofcourse)

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @Enthousiast:
    Simply stop your all times bulls**t if you answer any of my posts! You're simply not in the position for to admit to know what I did:
    If I could prevent you from answering my posts, I'd done that a long time ago already! You're a very egoistic and egocentric person, to which I don't like to have contact with in real life!. So, please keep yourself out of answering any of my posts.