How to: Make a Windows 10 "1703 LTSB" ISO

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by damianfox, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Sorry but no matter what image i tried to use, it failed. to allow install. failed to make abootable USB or DVD.
    so please make it so some really stu[pid [people can make it work. I also find the how to is missing some info.
    sorry, I was really hoping to share this but If i can not make it work. no way to share

2. damianfox

damianfox MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    #62 damianfox, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    (OP)
    When you extract the .msu file, it will be a .cab file that's the same name as the .msu update with similar file size, do not extract the .cab just simply place it in the Custom update folder then integrate it, You almost had it :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. damianfox

Jan 23, 2011
    I'm sorry I'm not sure how to make it any easier, Seems self explanatory to me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Again, N+Media feature pack = Standard version

5. akq

akq MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2015
    Uh, again i've clearly missed something because i am unable to follow your instructions.
    I open up the .msu in winrar and this is what i see: http : //puu.sh/lv95T/f9976f8915.png
    The names of either of the .cabs are not the same as .msu.
    If i don't extract anything, and have *only* the .msu in the ~\Custom -folder, the result is exactly the same as previously - no difference at all.
    I'm lost with this. Which one should i extract to there?
    Should i keep the .msu in that folder at all? I tried to move it out from the folder but the result does not change.
    Am i doing the integration procedure even right? it is 3-3-y-7 right?
    Maybe i already managed to do it and that's why it gives me the error, i have no idea :(

6. damianfox

Jan 23, 2011
    #66 damianfox, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    (OP)
    At a command prompt type this > expand -F:* Windows10-KB3010081-x64.msu C:\Desktop

Drag the Windows10-KB3010081-x64.cab file into the Win10\x64\Custom folder

Integrate the Update then do the steps from my first post.

It looks like you are doing it right you just need to have only 1 correct .cab file in the custom folder.

If I was you though I'd just use the Regular Enterprise version like was mentioned above.

7. akq

akq MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2015
    I think i got it right now, made two ISO - first i made it so that integration of media features was done afterwards of removal, and second one was done in the order you adviced me to do it. Both of them have different file size ( first one 3,85gb and latter 3,78gb)s o idk which one is correct - i guess i spend tomorrow to check it out with vmware..

In any case. thanks! I would have not been able to do it without you. Respect.

8. damianfox

Jan 23, 2011
    Right on, Yeah you need to integrate first then do my steps from the first post. I believe that's the correct way to do it.

9. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    @ damianfox
    @ akq

If you want to integrate a custom update then there's no need to extract the cab files, just place the .msu file inside the <updates\<os>\<arch>\custom> folder.

The ToolKit will auto-extract the cab files and integrate them.

If you use WHD Update Repo then copy the required folders Baseline, General, Security, Hotfixes, Additonal, Extra to <updates\<os>\<arch>>

Then use the Integrate WHD Updates Menu.

10. akq

akq MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2015
    Thanks for the awesome toolkit!
    Might want to consider writeing detailed guide for it? ;)

11. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    #71 MSMG, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    Yes, I'm working on the ToolKit Guide too, will release it soon.

Till then follow the error messages given when something is not found like fo each file missing it gives what file is missing and where it should be copied.

12. BubuXP

BubuXP MDL Member

Jul 21, 2009
    If you like experimenting with windows and/or you format your hard disk often, then this modified version is nice.
    But at the next big update (i.e. TH3) probably everything you removed will be reinstalled.

If you use your PC for work, or you don't have time to take care about windows, then regular LTSB is the choice, because it will not change even after big updates (at least I hope so).

13. kabino

kabino MDL Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Yes. Install.wim, boot.wim and some files. I created an iso from MSMG Toolkit.
    Anyway probably i understand the reason: i used Enterprise LTSB N first build and not latest. Now i integrated with sysprep all updates but is again 10240. Which updates i have to install for new build?

14. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    what the error in english ?

15. Scor1pan

Scor1pan MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Can't you just disable windows update and everything removed will stay removed?

16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #78 Enthousiast, Nov 23, 2015
    There is no first or latest LTSB build, there is only ONE LTSB build and it's 10240.

If there is a valid install.wim than it could be a missing eula.rtf in mountfolder\windows\system32\licenses. Create a folder named: "_Default" in the "licenses" folder and copy/paste the eula from the "oem" or "volume" folder.

17. kuroda

kuroda MDL Senior Member

Aug 25, 2012
    #79 kuroda, Nov 23, 2015
    ...Enterprise N for Brasil its not avaliable,if i use Enterprise only... will works? or has to be N?...THANKS!
    ... Would be cool if i could use other versions like professional for this too...^^

18. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Love the program, makes any version of Windows 10 small, fast and lite, I take the install.wim and /apply to which takes about 6m to dism /apply then boot to and let MS setup takes about another 4 min.
    damn Windows 10 in less that 10 min, then add your favorite browser. and YES. GO FOR IT.