How To Make A Windows 7 SP1 x64 UEFI/GPT Bootable ISO/USB (MSFT)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Enthousiast, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Windows 7 doesn't support GOP and needs INT10 emulation from the CSM. Gen3 UEFI lack the INT10 emulations, even if they still offer CSM.
    I could install Windows 7 in MBR mode with CSM enabled, but not UEFI, it freezes at the animated flag.

2. JayBass

JayBass MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2016
    I have gotten a Packardbell easynote ente69ap. I hate any of the windows version higher than 7. As I understand it the its gen 3 and it wont allow win7 to boot even from a custom uefi dvd image.
    So around all the above arguments and what not. Why not just remove the HDD from the laptop add it to a normal pc format s tart the win7 install and then on first reboot shut down and put the HDD back into the laptop and let the install continue from there?

There by skipping the whole UEFI issue.

3. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Every time you start your pc(desktop/laptop), something has to boot. Be it a live OS from portable media or a host OS on your internal drive.
    By performing the voodoo ritual that you described, you're not skipping anything, you're just delaying the disappointment of seeing windows 7 hang after uefi firmware passes on the torch.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #24 Enthousiast, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    (OP)
    Any form of a CSM is always needed.

Lately we have seen a few endless win 7 on UEFI discussions:thinking:

5. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Why don't you just read the first page? It's been discussed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    No.

7. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    The problem is that some systems automatically activate certain CSM features (INT10h emulation) when they encounter a Windows 7 booting in UEFI. That'll happen even if CSM is set to off and thus confuse users.

1. Any UEFI up to Generation 2 (with CSM) and CSM activated - Windows 7 will boot in UEFI mode.
    2. Any UEFI up to Generation 2 (with CSM) and CSM disabled in BIOS Setup - Windows 7 might boot in UEFI mode if the system auto-enables INT10h.
    3. Any UEFI Generation 3 and up (without any CSM) - Windows 7 will NOT boot in UEFI mode and freeze at the animated boot logo.

Windows 7 will always boot in Legacy (non-UEFI) mode if the system still contains that switch.

8. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    No, it's not. I did ask you to read the first page. (edit)While what Carlos Detweiller says is true(/edit), the tutorial is applicable in certain scenarios.

9. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
  10. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Note that UEFI only supporting FAT32 is a big misinterpretation of the specs. For all I know, the UEFI specs say that an UEFI implementation has to support at least FAT32. It can support other filesystems, but only FAT32 is mandatory. UEFI:NTFS is reality with the correct FS driver.

11. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    FAT32 support is required for getting the certification. UEFI will boot everything you throw at it, as long as you provide a fs driver that tells it how to handle the file system.

The big problem is not UEFI, but Secure Boot. Getting a fs driver signed is where the "fun" starts...

12. 3zero3

3zero3 MDL Senior Member

Apr 26, 2012
    As You can see, check path: (look inside /efi/boot/ folder)
    Code:
    /efi/boot/bootx64.efi

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I never use rufus, i just format the USB FAT32 and extract the iso to it's root, all works fine, in UEFI (with or without CSM enabled) or Legacy BIOS.

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Then go to the rufus thread, and ask there...

15. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Haven't you learned from last time? You argued about something completely unrelated to the thread, you provided questionable "evidence" at best... dude, point still stands - unmodified windows 7 cannot boot pure UEFI. Tutorials like this one or @Atak_Snajpera 's tool aren't meant to solve that problem. Now that you finally found the right thread to ask your question, you're just coming back for more arguing? Anybody, who wants to chop-chop safe mode to make windows 7 bootable on modern hardware, can go right ahead. That's not a modification I'm willing to perform considering the results. I'd rather disable/strip minor OS components while retaining core OS functionality - LTSC 2019. Most I'm willing to do(and I am doing it for other people) is integrate updates/runtimes/some drivers and make an AIO.

Would be nice if tryhards kept tryharding without assuming to be tHe EnLiGhTeNeD oNeS around. No one's stopping you.

16. LittlePro

LittlePro MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2017
    I think it has to be clear that by enabling UEFI-CSM, we will be able to boot , install & work Win 7 in UEFI + GPT , It will be fully functional as UEFI, but theortically / logically its not pure UEFI!

17. chumacher

chumacher MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2019
    im not arguing :D you are letting off steam.
    im just happy there is a way to install windows 7 to class 3 uefi machines now, even though it's kinda CHOP CHOP like you said :) no ones fighting.. you just seem little tense :)