How to open Gigabyte DS3 bios?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rtfm, Jun 5, 2007.

1. timis

timis MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2007
    Right - thank you Yen and especially rtfm. I must be losing it - for some reason I thought FXCP was inside the offset I was overwriting, not at offset 34.

However I ran into one somewhat weird situation, not sure there is a solution to this but it's worth mentioning. I had to pad oems.bin to ensure that in it's compressed form it is equal in size to original ACPITBL.bin. After i insert oems.bin back into the bios, I'm unable to locate the string 'SLIC' (I know it's there because I can clearly see it before I insert it, or if I extract it) So the compression mucks up some of the ASCII stuff.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rtfm

rtfm MDL Novice

May 29, 2007
    Timis, make sure you pad it on the bottom, not the top. Insertion should not screw up slic text. Make sure when you search that SCII checkbox is ticked. Did you follow instructions carefully? :confused:

One more idea:
    Try searching for oems.bin, module name never gets screwed up. slic text should be close to it if you pasted it in there over those zeros!

4. mikea128

mikea128 MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2007
    will this guide work for other non-gigabyte boards?

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes, ISA mod and oem7 are methods with good success rate at Award bioses. Oem7 module method is for Award bioses only!!!

Yen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mikea128

mikea128 MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2007
    is there a link or guide that describes the different methods of modding? pros and cons, etc.

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    No, some methods are spread over the forum. Finally it depends on each bios if it works or not.

8. 31337

31337 MDL Junior Member

Jul 19, 2007
    rtfm_Guide_Giga_v1.1???

I see rtfm_Guide_Giga_v1.1

Question exist.

"5)Perform following commands to release all modules after LOGObitmap."
    This part

There is no anything after logobitmap, pass ??? How to do?

Or

When Minit exist after logobitmap and GV3 before logobitmap, how to do??

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Use mod2, definitely! Mod1 causes a S3 resume issue.

Yen

10. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    MOD2 has problem in that after sleep visata shows as unregistered

11. Mr Been

Mr Been MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Hello everybody,

In the Bios Modification Guide -"Guide to modifying your Gigabyte BIOS v1.1.pdf"-
    under point 2) you are told to -"Open OEMS_EMPTY.BIN in hex editor.
    Select first 175h bytes which are currently zero, then paste (CTRL+V) over"-

What kind of BIN-file is this "OEMS_EMPTY.BIN"?? Is it an empty SLIC.BIN file
    with only 00 00 00 ...., but it seems to be greater than 175h, because you are
    told to -"Select the first 175h bytes which are currently zero"-

Is there perhaps anybody who might tell me how I can manufacture this file myself
    or where I can download it??

Thank you in advance

12. yanu

yanu MDL Novice

May 8, 2007
    SP1 fix for Dell

tommiy,

Would you be willing to mod this for Dell SLIC instead of ASUS? I don't trust my hex editing skills.

Thanks!

13. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
  14. ttxx

ttxx MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2008
    is there anyone who have the complete rtfm Guide-package with included files and so on?

The links in this thread that are still working only contains the PDF-guide and not the bin-files and so on..

I'm figuring that my GA-MA790GP-DS4H BIOS needs this kind of mod method and I was hoping to try it out..