[HOW-TO/SUPPORT/CHAT] OFFICE C2R Download/Install/Activation

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by s1ave77, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Starks

Starks MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2008
    I've noticed that Outlook doesn't play nice with Windows 7 on even the supposedly stable Current branch. Skype for Business won't even launch. Is Windows 7 being deprecated earlier than expected?

2. ratzlefatz

ratzlefatz MDL FUBAR Recon Squad

Sep 1, 2012
    #2582 ratzlefatz, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Skype for Business 2019 from Dogfood_DevMain-channel started successfully here
    in a Windows 7, 32bit test environment.
    Your Windows 7 has got the latest Windows updates?
    If you mind official updates because of telemetry: Simplix update pack is sufficient.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. devloz1996

devloz1996 MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2014
    The ClickToRun installer method makes the start_setup.cmd not portable, since it makes hard coded reference to the user, who configured the installer. I need to rebuild start_setup.cmd on every computer I am working with.

On line 39:
    dir /B Office\Data\%officeversion%\i64*.* >"C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp\OfficeSetup.txt"

Can it be replaced with the line below?
    dir /B Office\Data\%officeversion%\i64*.* >"%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp\OfficeSetup.txt"

Thanks for making this tool. Makes my day everytime ;)

PS. OfficeRTool seems to react badly when it checks activation status of not yet converted Office. It just exits completely.

4. Gladuin

Gladuin MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2017
    How do you find these version numbers?

5. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    It actually points to the %temp% folder :g:.
    Code:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>echo %temp%
    C:\Users\s1ave77\AppData\Local\Temp

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Zopeman

Zopeman MDL Junior Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I just noticed that after "Monthly Channel" update to 365 Pro Plus (10325 20082) that, (a) 365 application splash screen has disappeared (b) Morph feature in PPT has also gone? Has Microsoft dropped the ball here or perhaps an intentional move in the run up to 2019 finalisation? I have a feeling that the splash screen might have disappeared on previous release (10228.20134) but not 100% sure. Anyone else observed this or care to comment? Thanks

7. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Office 365 Pro Plus is the crown jewel, it will always get latest/all features
    but those features are controlled by license type or proper activation, and some require Microsoft account

i have the splash and Morph in 16.0.10705.20002

8. ratzlefatz

Sep 1, 2012
    #2588 ratzlefatz, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    It's an error in OfficeRTool.cmd (version 2018/July/25) line 1709:
    Code:
    echo dir /B Office\Data\%%officeversion%%\i%o16a%*.* ^>"%TEMP%\OfficeSetup.txt" >>"%obat%"
    which results to the following line in start_setup.cmd:
    Code:
    dir /B Office\Data\%officeversion%\i64*.* >"C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp\OfficeSetup.txt"
    But to be portable it must be like this:
    Code:
    dir /B Office\Data\%officeversion%\i64*.* >"%TEMP%\OfficeSetup.txt"
    which will read system var %TEMP% on the target system.
    This changes line 1709 in OfficeRTool.cmd to:
    Code:
    echo dir /B Office\Data\%%officeversion%%\i%o16a%*.* ^>"%%TEMP%%\OfficeSetup.txt" >>"%obat%"
    Watch the double %. Sorry for this. Will be corrected.

I just realized: To create a "start_setup.cmd" which is fully portable, I have to check which
    architecture (x86/x64) the setup files are. Now the architecture of the originating system is
    used. I will change this to be valid for the target system, too. But this needs some code,
    not only %%.

OK. Will check. Thanks for reporting.

9. ratzlefatz

Sep 1, 2012
    #2589 ratzlefatz, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    All working here on latest Windows 10 Insider SkipAhead (18204.1001) and
    Office 365 (16.0.10705.20002) from Dogfood_DevMain-channel.

As already said by abbodi1406, it's a matter of correct licensing/validation.

10. ratzlefatz

Sep 1, 2012
  11. WHITE/Q0DE

WHITE/Q0DE MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2018
    ok I have absolutely no clue what happened...I installed all the apps from the that blue cmd window. But when I click on Word or PowerPOint..it still says 2016. WHen i try to remove.uninstall Office 2016 it gives me something like sorry cant remove as you have clicktorun something...No clue what is going on

12. rcstar6696

rcstar6696 MDL Senior Member

Jun 11, 2017
    #2592 rcstar6696, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    -snip-

13. WHITE/Q0DE

WHITE/Q0DE MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2018
    #2593 WHITE/Q0DE, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Ok I completely removed 2016 and freshly installed 2019. I still have the activation issue..just cant..When I try to activate it through the blue cmd, it throws a weired error...activation failed. That's all. the KMS OfficeTool also doesnt help as when I click 1, it gives 'Windows cannot find(the path name??). Make sure you typed...' Have no clue what this means.

EDit 1: It says it is NOT a volume license when I have tried to convert it to one many times. It even gave a confirmation for the same.

14. Zopeman

Zopeman MDL Junior Member

Feb 11, 2016
    It's kinda weird really - i have two supposedly identical setups - 365 Pro Plus (with Visio and Project), installed offline from the same O2016RTool downloaded some few months ago. Converted to VL, again with O2016RTool and activated with qewlpals KMS_VL_ALL (to get the task driven auto reactivation feature). I have regularly updated both systems successfully (online update) from within Word and up until today both have been fine. But today one machine is as I was expecting- with 365 showing on the application splash screen and the Morph transistion in PPT). The other however, although showing the identical latest version number, does not show the 365 splash screen and the Morph transition has gone. It shows identical build info yet has a reduced / different feature set?

I guess something in my setups must have changed somewhere along the line or maybe MS tweaked the build on the fly and i was unlucky enough to get get one version before the change and one after. Would something like this be possible or would the MS build number always be different even with the slightest change? Thought comments appreciated.

15. ratzlefatz

Sep 1, 2012
    Seems, the second system lost activation. I suggest to redo conversion / KMS activation.
    First download latest OfficeRTool from July and manually clean licenses/keys:
    Goto folder "\OfficeRTool\OfficeFixes\win_x64" or "...\win_x32" and run "cleanospp.exe"
    as administrator. This will clean all licenses and keys.
    When finished, start OfficeRTool and redo (C) CONVERT OFFICE RETAIL TO VOLUME,
    followed by KMS activation.
    Then try, if Office 365 functions are back working.
    No clue. These questions can only be answered by Microsoft. We can only try to cure the symptoms.

16. WHITE/Q0DE

WHITE/Q0DE MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2018
    can anyone help me plz. Its neither converting to volume licensed version nor do I have the keys to activate the current format.

17. ratzlefatz

Sep 1, 2012
    Looks like a messed up system. I suggest to use MS FixIt-tool to completely wipe Office
    from the system. Goto post#4 on the first page and download MS-FixIt-Tool. Be sure to read
    und follow all recommended steps (don't forget the reboots inbetween).
    Afterwards use OfficeRTool to (D)ownload, (I)nstall, (C)onvert and (K)MS activate.

18. WHITE/Q0DE

WHITE/Q0DE MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2018
    Did just that D..I ...C ...K lol but as soon as I start to activate through the KMS Tool..it throws an error saying 'Windows cannot find (path name of the location).'

Is this supposed to be copied somewhere?

19. ratzlefatz

Sep 1, 2012
    And you used the MS FixIT-Tool before?
    In latest OfficeRTool from July nothing will be copied. All is run from the path OfficeRTool was extracted to.
    Do you have some sort of special characters like ampersand & or brackets () in path- or the username?

20. WHITE/Q0DE

WHITE/Q0DE MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2018
    Not sure what you mean by: All is run from the path OfficeRTool was extracted to

Also, what I meant was, are we supposed to extract it to a particular location for the KMS to activate it? The conversion is the problem. It is not converting from Retail to Volume.