[Not working anymore] How to upgrade from W7/8.1 without going through the complete upgrade process

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Yen, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneLess

oneLess MDL Junior Member

Aug 15, 2013
    #1901 oneLess, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    it is not true.
    you can install windows 7 on ANY newer mainboard [for now]
    if you insert newer drivers in windows 7 kit. [for newer chipsets and usb 3.x]

just search for proper tools.

use anyway for that a 64bit windows 7 kit , not an 32bit. [I had errors]
    a dazzed ticket grabbed from win 7 64bit works anyway on win 10 32bit and viceversa.

/edit
    and you don't need other drivers on win 7 , only one of ethernet or wi-fi ,
    ms servers record only hardware IDs not your driver versions.
    internet on , when you will generate the ticket and to be autoregisted on ms servers.
    just that .

c

2. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    ^^on mbr bios hdd daz works perfectly but using daz loader on a uefi gpt partition hdd is complicated.

3. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    First time hearing this,what exactly you mean by "fiddling".

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    The mac address is tied in with the digital license. On some motherboards with intel nic, if you update the bios/uefi with fpt (intel flash programming tool) without using the "-savemac" switch your mac address is wiped.
    You can also loose sn, uuid, etc with fpt.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Making -savemac not default is stupid beyond belief. Intel knows that Windows 10 uses the mac address as part of activation yet chooses to probably kill activation anyway.

6. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    I would think that anyone willing to use such a tool would already be knowing about transferring license using ms account.I also don't know why would anyone want to even use such a tool in today's time(assuming slic insertion).

7. Senjanov

Senjanov MDL Member

Jul 29, 2011
    I wonder what will happen if I replace 500Gb hdd to 1Tb hdd. before that windows was activated with GenuineTicket.xml. Windows activation will fail or not, I did not use KMS before only generated a ticket from Windows 7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Saurav

Saurav MDL Addicted

Jul 6, 2015
    Hard drive change shouldn't affect activation as long as the Mainboard is same.

9. Senjanov

Senjanov MDL Member

Jul 29, 2011
    how about replacing hdd also upgrade ram. mainboard still nothing change.

10. joluboga

joluboga MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    The activation will go as planned, just don't change the motherboard.

11. Senjanov

Senjanov MDL Member

Jul 29, 2011
    I wont go so far to change motherboard laptops :D
    I'll try and report after finised, I'm still copy and clear my 1tb drive

12. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    Just for info,replacing dvd drive of a laptop with a ssd counts as a new system even if you clone the activated hdd to ssd.Activated hdd windows status will remain unchanged though but cloned windows install on ssd will not be activated.

@Enthousiast any tips/help/info regarding such situations.

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #1913 Yen, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    (OP)

Replacement of DVD with SSD should trigger activation if I'd clone the system to SSD, but if not it'll remain??!?
    That would mean the system drives' hardware ID would play a role as well although it is actually no HW change....are you sure?

14. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    My own experience:
    Replaced dvd drive of a laptop running win 8.1 pro activated with ssd(using a caddy).Used aomei partition assistant pro to migrate OS to ssd.On next reboot selected ssd as 1st boot option & win 8.1 install successfully booted but with no activation.Again rebooted laptop with hdd as 1st boot option & same win 8.1 install is still activated.Replaced hdd with ssd for testing & still no activation.It seems as if win 8.1 install somehow considers a laptop with two hdd drives as a new system unless the original install is located on original hdd connected to primary sata port of the laptop.

15. stefan7

stefan7 MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2009
    i have w10 pro vl installed on a hdd activated with kms, gpt partitions.

now i want to remove the hdd and replace it with an ssd and do a fresh install of w10 pro and change to retail, can i use the virtual box method first on the hdd, install w7/daz/gatherosstate or w8.1 and do a full w10 upgrade inside box? will there be a problem with the transfer digital license method even though my microsoft account sees that i have vl license now?

16. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    Do the usual upgrade to win 10 inside virtual box from daz activated win 7,no need for gatherosstate way as it may have issues inside a virtual machine.DL License transfer only depends on linked MS account & has no relation to which win 10 version was earlier activated on the same system/hardware.

P.S. A single MS account can have multiple license of different eligible versions linked to it too.The account will activate the version which is installed.e.g.an account has home & pro license linked & you install win 10 home then by using that MS account win 10 home will be activated.

17. Nsowon

Nsowon MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2011
    Hi,

I want to buy a Chinese Xiaomi Air for my Daughter and install and activate WIndows 7 with DAZ loader, and then upgrade to Windows 10. (The OS is Chinese single language only and cannot be changed - unless someone knows otherwise).

Will Daz Loader install on the 13.3" Xiaomi Air?
    When activated, can i then upgrade to Windows 10 using the details in the first post?

Thanks for any input.

18. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    @xinso may know better about chinese versions of win 10 os.

19. das1996

das1996 MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2010
    Thanks! Success!

Daz win 7 (in a vm) ---> genuineticket.xml --> win10 1803. Had to manually add the 3v66t key.

20. DjDiabolik

DjDiabolik MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    mmmmmmmmmm... i have right now a Sony Vaio notebook and the owner had ask to me to upgrade to win 10. Currently there's have 8.1 (i have installed it about two years ago if i remember) and i thinks it's a good idea to use this guide.
    I'm stay right now to download a "consumer edition" of windows 10 iso be the SVF2ISO (gui edition) and i know the currently microsoft account logged on current 8.1 installation...... you thinks i can use this to do a full clean re-installation and activate windows 10 whitout any trouble ?

My question it's.... but how i can make a offline installation of windows 10 ? I need to put my current username during the setup or not ?