HP Probook/Elitebook BIOS Password Reset [Utility]

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by Mazzif, Oct 21, 2013.

1. dc thom

dc thom MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2018
    #1001 dc thom, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    To all owners of HP bricks. Here is a very simple way to turn your brick into something that works again!
    1. Back up your brick if you can (any data worth keeping)
    2. Goto the Hard-to-find made easy StarTech.com and find USB 2.0 to IDE SATA Adapter or find on Amazon or Ebay
    3. Download from distrowatch.com any version of linux you want linux mint or ubuntu (I use Kubuntu 18.04) If your processor can handle 64 bit and you have min 4GB Ram choose 64 bit version, if not 32 bit version)
    4. Burn iso to 4 to 16GB usb stick.
    5. Place usb stick into brick
    6. Attach externally the hard drive you took out of the brick to the IDE SATA USB Adapter (StarTech) and power on startech.
    7. Power up the brick making sure you have a wired ethernet connection (option 1 in step 8 allows for configuring wireless before installation)
    8. First screen from liveusb will offer two alternatives 1. Try it 2. Install it. (If option 1 is picked you can install from live session after you've tried it)
    9. Pick whichever
    10. If you already have an OS on the hdd, you may want to install as dual boot. If your fed up with windows, just tell it to install using the whole disk.
    11. After installation of your distro finishes, power down laptop and startech and reinstall the hdd internally to laptop. (mine was an HP Elitebook 8730W) and power it up!
    12. So for max $33 bucks you've turned your brick into something that works, doesn't have viruses and doesn't need to have the bios admin password reset.
    13. One other thing....if you pick either Ubuntu or Kubuntu 18.04...your NEW brick will have support through 2023!
    14. Enjoy!

2. wingfin

wingfin MDL Novice

May 9, 2018
    Hi everyone,

This has been an interesting venture with an old 2740p i'm trying to restore.
    I was the one who put the Bios passwords into the unit.
    I put the Bios Administrator, an admin-user, and a standard user password into the 2740p.
    While still within the bios, before leaving, I checked each password I had entered to find they were all correct.
    Eventually, I shut to unit down and the next morning all the passwords failed!!! I wondered if there was some lingering system like a finger-print or photo required forced by some hidden background security.
    Contacting the seller of the unit: he said he never touched the bios security, but was a reseller of the unit and thus did not know the unit's history.

I tried Mazzif's awesome procedure, but got the black screen, fan running and non-stop flashing Cap-Lock light with no number pattern. Likely is "1 blink" over and over indicating the CPU error, but CPU was fine before the Bios lock.

I noticed on here that on page 3 the "system configuration id" was set to 25 "0" before a 2740p was de-bricked.
    But how did that "de-bricker" change the ID on that bricked unit before successfully de-bricking it?

Unfortunately my 2740p has already been updated to the
    BIOS Date of 11/10/2015 Revision 68COU Ver. F.60
    System ID 7007
    So the possibility of re-flashing the BIOS to the next revision is out of this picture.
    I'm curious why the passwords failed in the first place.

Nice to see Massif got 10 trophies for his helping everyone on this site alone!

3. Mazzif

Mazzif Elitebook Pwner

Oct 18, 2013
    Not 100% positive but the MPM seemed linked to the SETUP_MODE flag in the BIOS. Changing this area to FF, saving the .bin and and writing back to the machine seemed to do it. This would set the UUID to FF and also allow me to run the generic FSMC.BIN on USB (smc.bin for UUID FF), and it would handle the SMC command successfully and clear out the TPM etc.

4. drkfcc31

drkfcc31 MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2018
    Thank you, will try that !! Cya :)

5. Teknoman79

Teknoman79 MDL Novice

May 14, 2018
    Why can't I download the Bios utility?

6. toto45

toto45 MDL Novice

May 17, 2018
    Hi everyone,

I have an EliteBook G725 G2 Bios protected laptop.
    I would like to access the Bios to allow Virtualization.

Unfortunately your wonderful tool seems not working on it :( :( !!!

I contacted HP in order to have a customized smc.bin to remove the password and they asked me for a proof of purchase, but I don't have it.

So, as I understand, the only way would be to flash the Bios following the following procedure :
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/hp-elitebook-70-series-bios-password-reset-util-test.56701/
    Do you know if it should work for my laptop reference ?

Many thanks for your help !

7. wizaldy

wizaldy MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2018

hi mazzif,
    can you help me?
    i forgot my bios password for my probook 4340s.

8. DeveshA

DeveshA MDL Novice

May 19, 2018
    Link is not working. Can't download the file. Please check and update. My HP 8460p bios locked.

9. Metallldude

Metallldude MDL Novice

May 25, 2018
    Same. Cannot download the tool for whatever reason, link expired? Not that i know if my 6555b can be unlocked or not. And now i will never know unless i cat get my hands on this tool? Or anything? Hmm, the search goes on lads.

10. Bewolfzr

Bewolfzr MDL Novice

May 25, 2018
    Hi mazzif I have a problem with my 2570p having a bios password I would like to use your tool that generate key but I can’t find link to download it in My digital life please it would be nice if you could put a link many thanks
    P.S : I don’t know if it works with Hp 2570p if you know please help me

11. DoLa

DoLa MDL Novice

May 31, 2018
    Hi Mazzif,

Is there a working link anywhere?

I have a second hand HP Probook 450 G4
    It seems to have a password on the bios. I'd like to remove it so that I can change the bios settings whenever I want.

Thanks.

12. Kebab420

Kebab420 MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2018
    I have a HP EliteBook 840 G4
    Serial: 5CG8143C1G
    Please help

13. Vlada974

Vlada974 MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2018
    Hi Mazzif,
    I forgot my bios password on my HP ProBook 470 G1,
    serial: 2CE3471FJG.
    I need your help.

14. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  15. Knurf

Knurf MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2017
    Hi Mazzif,

I have a HP Mini 5102 and I tried your tool but it won't work. If I run "ALL" it says laptop not supported, if I try "DOS" and then "shotgun" it tries some keys and then suddenly reboots.
    Do you have any solution for this?

Regards/
    Jonas

16. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    Is it at all possible to get a new upload of this tool, the link doesn't work anymore and I really need a copy of it. Thanks

17. envagyok

envagyok MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2007
    Please someone upload this tool :R

18. asep wisnu

asep wisnu MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2018
    Hey guys... I have forgot my bios password. can someone help me pls...
    UUID = 33B9008EEFC311E5B36DC4A6890D5061
    Serial Number = 5CG6388PC6
    SKU Number = X8W89UC#AB4
    product Name = HP Elitebook 840 G3
    System Bios = N75 Ver. 01.10 07/31/2016

19. Taquito

Taquito MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2018
    Hi what does error 213e mean?
    Notebook is not supported (213e)
    Tried shotgun on a 1040 G1 does not work.

20. ozzyboy

ozzyboy MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    @Mazzif nothing working in 1st page... no links for download, no videos on youtube... thx!