HP530 Notebook Vista activation

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by solracna, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #21 Yen, May 5, 2008
    Last edited: May 5, 2008
    While we are waiting to get a dump......

The activation problem with soft-mods.
    The problem is caused of existing TWO SLICS.
    Not of the code itself. A System what's got two SLIC'S don't activate that's all.

You can try this. Open your ROM.bin, goto offset 169C1 where the SLIC string is located. Rename it to TEST (BIG letter), save the rom.bin and replace the bios in the cab archive.

If you are lucky, you'll get a TEST table instead of the unusable SLIC.
    So you can now install a soft-mod.

You have to decide if you wanna test this idea, or not, since I don't support soft-mod solutions.

BTW: The only tool I know which can edit Compaq bios is TweakBios. But it's very old.................to run under DOS

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Lucky = it works
    Unlucky = Laptop is bricked after a wrong move.

Yes the SLIC is for Ultimate as well.

I cannot reverse /debug the flash.exe.
    -It doesn't run on my PC
    -I don't have the skills to interpret the reversed code since I'm not familiar with it...(softice, Ollydbg or other stuff)

Someone who's familiar with it could "make it think there is a license" which means to crack the flash.exe.

Only way I see is to flash the dump of a activated license.......since the dump is a mirror of the actual running bios.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #23 Yen, May 6, 2008
    Last edited: May 6, 2008
    You can always replace any code with a hexeditor, but you have to know what you are doing.

I assume that the flash tool patches the bios (set the right bytes somewhere) while writing it -or just before- onto the bios chip.

The bios is made to map the SLIC data. The bios contains a full SLIC! The SLIC data is present in clear text, UNCOMPRESSED. You can even SEE the full SLIC data,fragmented at YOUR DUMP!!! But it's not mapped (copied /called)!
    The update is reported to be the same, Vista licensed or not.

What you mean about a fine SLIC is just the question how to enable it. At a free OS bios you have a complete SLIC as well. BUT it contains the header only. The data is not present (mapped) you only have zero bytes instead of.
    But you are right. You could move the SLIC code, since it is fragmented. But to where? Without any information it is too dangerous.
    Even if you get the SLIC fully mapped there is the other thing left. The fact that the OEMTABLEID of RSDT is wrong as well.

Unfortunately I don't know how to get it to work....Some of the bioscode is compressed.....there are no tools to extract it.
    You also cannot just insert another SLIC. A SLIC is a ACPI table (not just a very long string) and must be called properly.

So I thought a look at a dump of a licensed bios could bring us the needed information.

4. reginakampher

reginakampher MDL Addicted

Apr 5, 2008
    This is in regards to "Yes the SLIC is for Ultimate as well."
    What about the digital certificate? Is it the same for Ultimate as well?
    So, if this is the case, then anyone with a computer that came with vista preinstalled regardless of which version can simply upgrade to the Ultimate version just by entering an OEM Ultimate key?

5. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    #25 petar, May 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  6. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    #26 offon7544, May 7, 2008
    Last edited: May 7, 2008
    You can use rompaq.exe with /R to restore a backup bios, you can use this to apply you're mod bios under dos.

You can also use rompaq.exe /B to backup your bios ( You can upload the backup if you want! )

rompaq is in the freedos version donwload

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes, we need a backup of a licensed machine with rompaq.exe /B or at least a dump of it.

Maybe to open a seperate thread "call to everyone......."

After that you can flash it onto your machine, sounds easy...(and I can have a look what's the difference.....and maybe figure out how to enable other bioses as well)

So anyone have access?

8. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    #28 petar, May 9, 2008
  9. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
  10. tnahcreE

tnahcreE MDL Novice

May 29, 2008
    hmm ow afte me comar original 68MVU.bin and my readout its the same only first byte is different FE and FF :( so i think thi will not be usefull but who knows :)

Regards

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  12. tnahcreE

tnahcreE MDL Novice

May 29, 2008
    #34 tnahcreE, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
    It come without any OS, me did play with MS activation server, but this was not successfull (cause machines with some OEM string in bios cannot be activated by that server) so me was in "death end" (still connected to my own acivation server and entered my Sony Vaio product key that i got as upgrade system ) and Viola i was fully activated, not know if it was done on my activation server or on MS one but **** it worked and yep i was fully activated, no 180 dayz etc...

Regards Erchy

13. Larus

Larus MDL Novice

May 11, 2008
    #35 Larus, Jun 2, 2008
  14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Unfortunately not!
    But there is probably another way. I need the AcpiScope report to write a patch file. Install AcpiScope, go to file--->load acpi information---->from bios. Save and upload the *.ats report. If there is a SLIC at acpi namespace already, you can try a patch file (softmod).

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #40 Yen, Jul 27, 2008