http://slicbios.wikidot.com/ closed down

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by amdworldx, Aug 3, 2009.

1. amdworldx

amdworldx MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
  2. ZakMcRofl

ZakMcRofl MDL Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Yes, I took it down today. I'm sorry but as I explained on the wiki it is against the mod's and modders wishes.
    We owe them a lot so I decided to follow their recommendation and shut it down.

3. Bagheera

Bagheera MDL Member

Jul 21, 2009
    i did like it... sad news.... but when grabbing the sources.. only txt in zip?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It's temporary disabled. It was a decision of the admins here and the moderator team.
    Main reason: We don't want to attract attention.

We know there are pros and cons. At the moment the cons are predominant.
    I know some don't agree, but you have to accept our decision.

Yen. MDL team.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. amdworldx

amdworldx MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    well dont worry im sure the reasons are valid just a shame easy straight forward find what u want in seconds unlike other sources i wont mention. ;)

6. Bagheera

Bagheera MDL Member

Jul 21, 2009
    okay its late...... offcourse txt.. the files were hosted on rapid downloaders.. duhhh

7. amdworldx

amdworldx MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    yen i agree with your We don't want to attract attention but isnt that a bit contradictive look around here . do a google search and see what pops up from a bios slic 2.1 query. dont want to argue no malicous intent aimed .

8. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Yes we decided to keep the SLIC stuff "in house". We are in the process of trying to get everything condensed into concise threads so that tutorials and mod requests are in one place. A One-stop shop of sorts.

We are against people taking the hard work of the members of this forum and using it for profit or proliferation without the consent of the modders.

We are trying to help teach people how to mod that want to know how to do it, and for those that do not a repository of modded BIOS files.

I am not trying to accuse anyone of trying to "steal" people's work I am just sharing the reasons for the decisions that we have come to here at MDL.

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    That's true. Here at MDL we have access to everything and can act adequately.

10. beardy

beardy MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2008
    I can understand where you are coming from and agree with you.

11. amdworldx

amdworldx MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    fair comment , however what are the possibilities of creating a similiar layout via company i.e HP,ASUS,ABIT,MSI and so on has opposed to award/phoenix etc.??

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    At the moment every moderator is busy due to the huge amount of traffic.
    Especially the Phoenix mod request thread is almost not to handle. We are modding safe. A safe mod still takes a lot of time to realise. If you are doing mistakes, and don't be careful at modding, someone else has to send his Notebook to repair.
    This is endmost we want.

We appreciate any help.:)

13. ZakMcRofl

ZakMcRofl MDL Member

Aug 11, 2007
    #13 ZakMcRofl, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
    I strongly feel that I need to speak up against your comment.

At no point was the wiki "for profit". Do you see any ads besides the ones wikidot.com puts up because it's a free service? I did not earn a single cent nor did I plan to. In fact I would transfer the admin role to any mod here in a heartbeat. I only wanted to provide a good alternative to 5000 posts long threads where a request and a comment about it may be pages apart.

As for the consent of modders: every single modder I got in touch with liked the idea. Some may not have replied but I did not get a single negative comment or PM until you closed the thread.

I shut down because I respect your concerns in regards to the exposure and risk the wiki brings. Sadly this respect seems not to be mutual despite my immediate reaction to your decision.
    Please stop spreading such negative and baseless speculations/rumors about my intentions.

14. amdworldx

amdworldx MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    firstly lets withdraw the comments about profit and focus on the point which i think is valid and my original thought which zak has reiterated I only wanted to provide an alternative too 5000 post long threads .that was the whole positive thing about the site. now a bios for my laptop was not there but because it was easy to navigate to and could easily be checked daily without going through searches that could not narrow the info i was looking for.

again i state nothing malicous just trying to establish is it feasible to create a similar layout if kept in house .

15. tekken

tekken MDL Junior Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Yes, it is true. Since W7 appeared there is too much noise about bios modding much more then in "Vista ages"

16. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    My suggestion, for what it's worth, if the wikidot software allows it.

Bring it back online but accessible only to registered users who have been approved by the site administrator and/or MDL mods. Not visible to google et al, not available anonymously.

17. PluG

PluG MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Thats a great idea, make the website PRIVATE with a username and password
    linked to this very forum same username same password.

that way microsoft or any other company or anyway really can access it

lot of work been done and posted on there not only from me but also from the other modders

so i would be a shame to loose the resource.

18. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Sorry but MDL is listed in many News sites on the web. ie, from Techspot.com:

"Windows 7 Ultimate cracked via OEM master key
    by Matthew DeCarlo on July 29, 2009, 11:27 AM
    According to a report from My Digital Life, Windows 7 Ultimate has already been cracked with the aid of a leaked OEM DVD ISO from Lenovo."

MDL was on the top of my initial google search when I first looked into modding
    my Gigabyte bios. That's how I found this fantastic site!

19. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Great idea

I second this idea: it's a great idea.

Reopen the site for to give others the ability to easy search for them's need. The use of the username and password from MDL is just fine and MDL will only profit from that.

One thing I missing on this site is a Download Forum where the user's can search for what they looking for.

Complain about the mass request for BIOS modding on one hand and shut down a reliable source on the other hand show's just what?

Answer the question by your self.

Just my 2 cent!

20. winwatcher

winwatcher MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    amdworldx comment: "it was easy to navigate to and could easily be checked daily without going through searches that could not narrow the info i was looking for."

I along with probably many others have to agree with you on this one.

PluG comment: "that way microsoft or any other company or anyway really can access it"

Can you sure that someone from microsoft is not in here already?

The only way to curtail most of this is to make this a closed site with membership only by referral and that is not a total cure. A lot of people here belong to other forums and stopping them from posting this info on other forums is impossible.

I do have faith in the mods of this forum eventually rectifying these situations. Please give them the respect that they justly deserve. As Yen commented, they are very busy(swamped would be a better term). They are working very hard to make the correct mods, answer questions, and run this board at the same time.

And also keep in mind that just a few people here are doing the majority of the mods. As Yen commented, modding correctly takes a lot of time. Lets thank these people for their hard work and not criticize them.