Huawei and Trump Ban

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by frogs2b, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #41 Joe C, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #42 Yen, Aug 29, 2019
    I know that the US make steel, too.
    It is not difficult to understand it is rather hardly comprehensible, because it's not rational.
    By imposing duties on Chinese steel you make steel more expensive. This applies generally to imports. Important Chinese products became more expensive already, right?

This is counterproductive to tax incentive for national industry / economy and eats it up!
    When you want to expand industry/economy you need (also) imports.
    Nobody needs to study BA to get that.

The foundation of American economic prosperity rested rather on the labor of four to five million black slaves than on other additional benefits from imports such as the tariffs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Hmmm... how long have you had that problem with reading and understanding what is written? Have you told your doctor?

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #44 Joe C, Aug 29, 2019
  5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #46 Yen, Aug 29, 2019
  6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #47 Joe C, Aug 29, 2019
  7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I wanted only to mention that America took benefit from slavery. Just an objective fact.
    The amount depends on historical source. Doesn't actually matter related to the fact.

I also do not want to get personal. Thomas is IMHO over the top choosing his wording.
    This thread is actually about a ban of Huawei devices.

I do not want people here get insulted in a way.

8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I simply hate hypocrisy ..... and american exceptionalism is besides being many other things also racist.

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Some people do take it personal being accused of events of historical 'black chapters' as still being responsible...or as being not different...
    Also generalizing like The Americans are..., the Germans are ...does not consider the person how it really is...

Discussions do frequently lose focus of objectivity because of that and I have to close threads, sooner or later...just saying.
    To illustrate facts objectively ends there where one argues to be personally right only.
    I am also here as a moderator...not easy sometimes. :)

10. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
  11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I suppose that you would need to run a third party a/v and something like Malwarebytes to keep the Huawei phone more secure, But if they are priced right I could see them selling a lot of phones still. It is only the U.S. govt that banned the phone for official Govt use. Bat.1 or I could buy and use a Huawei phone today.
    Currently I have a Samsung Android phone and I do not use google apps, except for Google maps and a couple things that came with the phone.

12. frogs2b

frogs2b MDL Junior Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Where I am (Very small town in the southern Philippines). IPhone does not sell. Samsung sells very little. Cherry Mobile, Oppo, Realme, Vivo and Huawei are the big sellers.
    Oppo will soon overtake Apple for the number 4 spot. Cherry Mobile is big here because they sell smartphones for as low as 40 dollars. Legacy phones for less than 10 dollars.

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #55 Yen, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    This will hit the mainstream users who want to get a new one most.

Others who even made efforts to get rid of Gapps will be rather happy about.
    You can use APKpure and F-droid store as alternatives to get your apps, or install apps manually, but you cannot get Gapps, you actually lose your already paid apps (Google store) and have to use replacement apps.

Other apps maker have their own distribution channels where you can buy it.

The devices should rather get cheaper because there is no licensing fee anymore.
    I personally think it also opens a way for an alternative OS and competition. Since I am tech interested I always have a look at the OS and apply own measures for security / privacy on my own either way.

On Android I can recommend netguard firewall, the free version from github not playstore!

It is capable of making (sys)apps being silent when being online. There are good manuals available how to configure it properly. You even can configure it the way that apps can only be online when screen is on / public WLAN / home SSID and GSM separately and much more. Netguard does not need root, but one loses VPN connectivity since it uses an own VPN stack to apply rules.
    Additionally I am running pi-hole for my home network to which I connect to when being abroad.
    Netguard does not work when connecting via VPN.

I prefer a firewall over an antivirus app and I use uBlock origin as firefox plugin on any FF instances I am running. (Windows / Kubuntu, Android)
    TBH I am rather privacy concerned than security. And I want chosen sys apps which I cannot remove being silent. An a/v does not help here.

Edit: For security there is an unbeatable measure IMHO:
    Use a second factor for authentication wherever your bank account / money is involved. I am using it on Amazon / banking / paypal etc. I always have to confirm login via SMS PIN.

@PointZero The 2 sources differ by 35 slaves only, so we have to assume around 4 million is a true amount.

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    In 1790, shortly after the U.S. wrote their constitution there were just over a half million slaves. Nobody disagreed about that that 4 million number in 1860 that Yen posted, The Slave population did explode in that time frame of 70yrs. Nice chart PointZero.
    Seems like every time you turn around there's a malicious app on the Google play store so it is no less secure to use anything other than the Google play store for phone apps

15. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Even though it's been a few years, I've spent quite a bit of time in the Philippines (Bat:wub:Wife is from Dipolog City) as well as other Southeast Asian Countries. Problem with buying a "Flagship" Model there, whether iPhone or Galaxy, is as many as 90% are Counterfeit :mad: And with Employees stealing Genuine IEMI numbers, even the Manufacturers have a hard time telling the difference. With a less expensive model the chance of getting what you paid for is greatly increased. ;)

Personally I use an iPhone and so do the Bat:wub:Wife and Batlings:mad2: KIds can't live without Facetime o_O Along with de Puters de Wifey and Kids also either have an Android phone or tablet to play games and do things like Facebook:mad: on WiFi at home. While IMHO Apple is more secure than Android (and spies less) And as we've seen lately, ALL Apps on either, even those that have been highly rated for years, are only one update away from installing spyware or malware o_O

16. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    #59 PointZero, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2022

17. frogs2b

frogs2b MDL Junior Member

Nov 25, 2015

I moved here from the USA 8 years ago. NO REGRETS. I was wrong when i said they don't sell iPhone here. i saw one in the Mall about 6 months ago. IPhone 5. 30,00 pesos.
    (about 600 dollars). I saw 2 persons with iphones and ipads. 1 has a boyfriend in Australia, and the other is an OFW who works in a big company. Flagships don't sell very well here. Outside the Mall there are dozens of cell phone stores that sell counterfeit phones. They call them "China Phones". They look like the original, less than one third the price. Budget phones are the big sellers. Last year my mother sent me a phone from Amazon. 88 dollars. Cherry Mobile phone same specs 35 dollars.