Implement product key into bios MSDM table of VMware

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by triggat, Aug 4, 2013.

1. markede

markede MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2013
    In my opinion it could be possible. It is practically applicable.Thanks for such a nice stuff.

2. Please-8

Please-8 MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Copy "data.dat" from a previous activated VM to a second VM activates the second VM offline. Even when second VM has different UUID, MAC and some virtual hardware changes (RAM, CPU, soundcard removed).

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    This would mean sharing this data.dat file would allow anybody to activate any own w8 VM ware installation (same w8 version)....:spoton:...until M$ blocks the used MSDM serial knowing that the legit owner gets deactivated as well... :biggrin:..still wondering what makes it to recognize the vm ware as vm ware....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    #144 Superfly, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Haven't yet scrutinised the code but slmgr has been updated in 8.1 to check for VM

Code:

Private Function IsAVMA(strDescription)
        If InStr(strDescription, "VIRTUAL_MACHINE_ACTIVATION") > 0 Then
            IsAVMA = True
        Else
            IsAVMA = False
        End If
    End Function

If (NOT bKmsClient) AND (NOT bAVMA) Then

'Note that we are re-using the UseLicenseURL for the Product Activation
                        'URL for down-level compatibility reasons

strUrl = objProduct.ProcessorURL
                        If strUrl <> "" Then
                            LineOut GetResource("L_MsgProcessorCertUrl") & strUrl
                        End If

strUrl = objProduct.MachineURL
                        If strUrl <> "" Then
                            LineOut GetResource("L_MsgMachineCertUrl") & strUrl
                        End If

strUrl = objProduct.UseLicenseURL
                        If strUrl <> "" Then
                            LineOut GetResource("L_MsgUseLicenseCertUrl") & strUrl
                        End If

strUrl = objProduct.ProductKeyURL
                        If strUrl <> "" Then
                            LineOut GetResource("L_MsgPKeyCertUrl") & strUrl
                        End If

strUrl = objProduct.ValidationURL
                        If strUrl <> "" Then
                            LineOut GetResource("L_MsgValidationUrl") & strUrl
                        End If

End If
                End If

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Please-8

Please-8 MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Right.

But Microsoft do never recognize the multiple VM activations, because with copy "data.dat" the activations works offline.

Just tested with two real PCs: Copy "data.dat" does not activate offline.

6. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    There is a lot of information that is identical between two VMs. For example, most of the SMBIOS information, including System Manufacturer etc. Maybe that is sufficient. This is all quite surprising though, the check seems too lenient.

7. MrAnalysis

MrAnalysis MDL Senior Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Most likely something in the Bios or on the motherboard on bootup. It makes the Hardware ID via CPU/MB (i think now graphics card's also heard people getting unactivated with some graphics drivers.)

Anyway when windows boots/installs it does not just read what model of MB and CPU you are using. (if it did this people with the same CPU and MB would be able to use the same key.) There must be a special code embedded into the hardware or bios that it reads to make the unique hardware ID. With the machine being a VM the BIOS it is using will have the same ID on every system or should at least. Although everyone's CPU could be different so this is kind of odd.

My guess is this sort of hidden code is on a hardware level due to people flashing bios images and stuff so would make sense. Meh it might not even be a code just the date the MB was made or first used and model of it combine or something. Hmmmm wonder in the future when/if KMS fails the hardware ID could be emulated on bootup so everyones machine would have the same hardware ID that has the emulator it's a long shot and probably way more complex than its worth and most likely wont work and just slow the system down anyway.. ;).

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Next time when I have spare time I modify the bios404 that comes with vm ware. Goal will be to trigger reactivation. I'll completely change the systembios strings (build date, version) / ISA/PCI BIOS ROM strings (RAID, DISC controller), SMBIOS etc....
    If it should trigger it I can redo the changes step by step....but what's impressing is that the EFI and the BIOS which come with the vm ware make no difference....if they are queried, they share the same 'IDs', ...need to compare both....

I'll post the mod here then.:)

9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Did you ever have time for these test?

sebus

10. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    I would be interested to know how did you manage to arrive to decision as to where put the MSDM table in Vmware BIOS?

Thanks

sebus

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  12. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Thanks, expected that it will take some manual doing. But that is the very fun. Need to get to you an unused OEM key, so you can keep testing...

Need to pick one (tomorrow)

sebus

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I hope I can start some tests @ weekend. My current PC never had w8.1 installed yet, lol. Will fiddle with BIOS until installation ID changes.

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  15. NiFu

NiFu MDL Member

Jun 29, 2013
    OK - whilst installation you have to enter manually the Windows 8.1 generic product key. Because the installation routine of Windows 8.1 doesn't accept the Windows 8 DM key.

But what happens when you implement the Windows 8.1 generic product key into the BIOS440.ROM MSDM table ? Does the installation routine of Windows 8.1 accept this Windows 8.1 generic key ? OK - for activation you have to substitute the generic key with a regular Windows 8.1 key.

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Well to me that all seems a bit confusing what M$ did.
    You can use ei.cfg.
    You can use unattended answer file
    There are specific product keys.
    There is the MSDMTable with key which can also be entered manually.

A 'normal' behavior to me would be that the core/pro ISO just behaves the way the product keys are installed. Means: It must not use MSDM serials when used pro retail product key. It has to when used OA3.0 product keys or set at ei.cfg to 'OEM: DM' We don't know all the config parameters yet...or am I wrong?

For now it seems a unused DM serial is just like a retail, it simply activates. (it is not sure if the MSDMTable I had used is needed at all.....)

Soon more results....:)

18. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Probably 8.1 did not recognize the 8.0 OEM key, may be a different story if we installed 8.0... likely it will pick up the key from MSDM then...otherwise like you say, it will just be a 'retail' activation if added later...;)

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

It asks for a key anyway. It seems the original core/pro ISO expects W8.1 DM serials there or does not check MSDM at setup. I suspect the former, even though it makes no real sense to me since it accepted and activated with the W8 DM serial later when entered manually.

***The W8.1 generic pro serial has been accepted from the MSDM table. It installs pro itself without to ask to enter a key at setup.***