Insanely slow network activation after March 2019 update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jim_p, Apr 30, 2019.

1. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    #21 jim_p, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    (OP)
    About that narrowing down of those disabled services.
    - vmware player (4 services): does not even start a vm without the authorisation service running, so I could not test the remaining 3
    - anydesk (1 service): does not start because its service is not running
    - google chrome (3 services): starts and updates, however the updater now pops up a uac prompt even when checking for updates
    - teamviewer (1 service): starts and seems to work properly, but I have no one to connect to right now so as to test it more
    - samsung mobile connectivity service (1 service): probably useless to me now, since I needed it once, to root a friend's phone
    - adobe something (2 services): photoshop works fine, so I don't care
    - nvidia display driver service (1 service): how can I test it? I no longer have games on my pc

Re-enabling vmware's virtual adapters now so as to check again.

---edit
    Yeap, network connection still comes up in a second even with vmware's virtual adapter's enabled.
    What if I leave all of them disabled and only enable them when I need to run each app?

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Now you are close to spot the service in question I'd want to know which one really delays..(if I were you)....once I had read something about a Nvidia service and spinning circle....AFAIK it's Nvidia experience related...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    I do not install nvidia experience and the like, just the driver and its control panel.
    I enabled the anydesk service (and updated anydesk in the meantime) and the 4 vmware ones and it still opens up as fast as it should.

And about that router info I was expecting. It shows nothing, even in debug mode. All it says is that it established an internet connection, got that internet ip, updated my noip hostname and nothing more.

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Could be something like a corrupted setting in the network stack, removing the device (including the drivers) and re-installing will fix that because windows will re-build the network settings to it's defaults

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Jep. Anything posted already.

Spotting the delaying services allows to eliminate the problem, but not the cause why it delays....
    Since it is a network issue it makes sense to start from network (cause) not from the effect (delayed service)

6. CosmikDebris

CosmikDebris MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2015
    When I was experiencing this, I changed the Service for Teamviewer to Automatic (delayed). That solved mine.

7. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    After 10+ days and... 2 or 3 logins to windows, I noticed this issue because of the disabled services.
    Chrome fails to update when its service is not running. The uac pops up, i click yes, it pops up again, I click yes again and chrome says that it failed to check for updates. So I enabled that.
    And oddly enough, teamviewer connects without its service running in the background.

8. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    A minor update.
    Enabling teamviewer's service at boot makes the circle come up again, although it now stays for less time, so I think I found one of the causes, And nvidia's control panel app does not start without its service. I wanted to check what version of the driver I am using.

9. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    And another one.
    On a completely different pc (different hardware, different installed software, stock network configuration etc), windows was staying on the welcome screen for ~2 minutes. I told the guy to try disabling every non ms service in ms config and re-enable them one by one. Can you guess which app was the faulty one this time? Oh yes, teamviewer 14!

10. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Here is something odd.
    I upgraded teamviewer to 14.3 a few days ago and immediately I checked msconfig for its service. It remained disabled in there.
    Today, I logged in and the network slowdown was back! I rechecked msconfig and teamviewer's service was still disabled. However, in services,msc, the service was not only running, but set to automatic. Why?

Screenshots only upon request.

11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Why do you need to use Team Viewer? If it is not absolutely required then remove it. I see this software on many pc's and when I question the owner why they use it they claim they do not know what it is or how they got it. Although Team Viewer is a legitimate and useful software, I know that there are criminal scammers that use this to gain access to your pc.

12. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    #32 jim_p, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    (OP)
    Teamviewer is that piece of software that everyone knows, despite having lots of (better) alternatives. It is ike the mp3: everyone knows it, it plays everywhere, but it is a tech from the 90s. I use it to access other people's systems and help them out, because what may seem trivial to one is a big issue to another.

Out of 10, a mere 2 are willing to use something else, and that something else is anydesk for me, which is not even close to teamviewer's speed and ease of use. On top of that, teamviewer also has mobile server and client apps, and I have even used that once to connect to an old lady's smartphone and guide her around.

13. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    One more and I hope it is the last one.
    Fresh installation of w7 home on a 2014 laptop with 3rd gen i3, 4gb of ram, 1tb hdd and hybrid gpu (amd+intel). I first installed all the apps the owner needs, including teamviewer, and then all the windows updates.
    There were no delays before installing the updates, but once they were all installed, the system stays on the welcome screen AND the network connection is ready after a big delay.

14. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    This is normal.

Why do you install it, though? It's perfectly functional when you run the setup file, select Run once and Personal use and go about using it.

Why not simplix the image and install it then?

15. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    I know the speed is somewhat normal for an hdd, but there is a difference which especially noticeable on the network activation. It also has the same sideeffects as my issue, i.e. the really slow launching of apps. Launching msconfig the first time so as to disable teamviewer's service took more than a minute because the network was not ready (wireless connection, 2 meters away from the router, signal strength ~100%).

I have to install teamviewer because her college uses it when a student needs support.

As for simplix.
    I will give it a shot next time. I had read it takes a lot of time to install all the updates, but I don't remember where so as to post it.
    For now, all I do is install the convenience rollup update (kb3125574) and the one it needs (kb3020396) to be installed beforehand. The rest are downloaded and installed via windows update.
    If I download a month's rollup update, e.g. May's, and install it, shouldn't it contain all the updates until May?

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I suppose that if you want to or have to use something that you are aware of that impedes your connection time on start up, then learn to live with it?
    How often do you need to reboot for this to be an issue?

17. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    @Joe C
    I reboot when I need to enter windows and use teamviewer or any other app I use windows for. That is why I am like "let's do this and get out of here asap" most of the time.
    And yes, I know teamviewer is also available on linux, I installed it the very first day v13 came out as a preview, but I stopped using it and removed it a month later because of some issues it had.

@DukiSync
    I know about teamviewer portable and I have used it in the past. The main problem with it is that it does not update itself, you have to download a fresh one each time a new version is out. And when it can not connect due to different/older version... I get really upset :p
    Also, teamviewer.com offers a portable version too. I will give it a second chance as it seems.

18. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    #39 jim_p, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    (OP)
    Sorry for bringing my thread up again, but it is that time of the month that teamviewer gets updated and re-enables its service and the delay is back.
    I gave teamviewer portable a second chance as I said and the update issue I mentioned above is still present. In fact, it does nothing when I click "check for updated versions".

I noticed something else though. When I open msconfig and go to services and tick the "hide ms services" box so as to check what is enabled, I see that teamviewer is not. And it is also disabled in services.msc, in the same way that adobe's services are. However, I know that it somehow got enabled by the delay, so i just tick it again and untick it. Why is that?