Integrate PCI Option Rom (specifically newer raid option rom) into a Dell Laptop Bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by laferrierejc, Dec 19, 2012.

1. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    The HDR recovery method doesn't care about the BIOS version...just checks the filename and probably the part number.
    The BIOS updater shouldn't care about what version the bios.gz file is either...used this way to update my M6300.

2. laferrierejc

laferrierejc MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2012
    um thinking of ysing strings v2 to see if there r other cl switches to use. maybe i can ude a pheonix flasher to flash the rom?

3. laferrierejc

laferrierejc MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2012
    #25 laferrierejc, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    (OP)
    same thing, failure to analyze flash image, I'm suspecting the flash image has some sort of secret hidden signature

wouldn't let me write an hdr or rom file using that exec...

doing the string thing, I found some nice options

read_krom_file

writekhdrfile

ironically, couldn't find a writeromfile...

4. laferrierejc

laferrierejc MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2012
    #27 laferrierejc, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    (OP)

Of course :)

Win98 boot disk

And b4 u think its the dos ver. It will do the bios upgrade from dos using official

These errors can b verified in an emulated enviro. It says the flash image is corrupt. So it doesn't even get to the point of flashing

5. Aeny

Aeny MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2011
    Well I've been messing around with my 1564's bios some more and it seems 40GB HDD's boot fine in the caddy and >160GB freezes the BIOS. Could this be some sort of lock built into the BIOS? I guess I better start a new thread for this... ~Aeny

6. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Sorry just haven't had the time to pull down your 1564 BIOS and launch Phoenix BIOS Editor inside my VM. Let me know what you've tried and after Christmas I can take a look.

7. Aeny

Aeny MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2011
    #33 Aeny, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
    Things I tried with my HD5450 based 1564:

1. Opened up laptop and disconnected everything not necessary except caddy+hdd and screen: still freezes.
    2. Ordered a 2nd caddy to try: still freezes.
    3. Ordered a new cable between ODD daughterboard and motherboard: still freezes.
    4. 120GB SSD primary + 40GB HDD in both caddies: WORKS!
    5. 120GB SSD primary + 120GB HDD in both caddies: WORKS!
    6. 120GB SSD primary + 160GB HDD in both caddies: still freezes.
    7. 120GB SSD primary + 500GB HDD in both caddies: still freezes.
    8. 120GB SSD primary + 1000GB HDD in both caddies: still freezes.
    9. A10(modded), A10, A11, A12,A13 bioses from 1564: still freezes.
    10. A10, A11,A12,A13 bioses from 1764 (99% same board): still freezes.
    11. Intel HD based 1564, every combo above: WORKS!
    12. Asked Dell for help in their community forums: no answer.
    13. Hotswapping >160GB in when booted with <160GB, Windows 8 doesn't pick them up but drives seem to spin.

The only thing I can still test is a 320GB HDD but I'm 99% sure it'll crash/freeze, I'm going to try other combo's with the disks now (120GB SSD not as primary) and I'll add those to this list aswell.
    Any ideas what else I can test?

EDIT:
    Thrown Linux in the mix:

1. 120GB HDD Primary + 120GB SSD in caddy: freeze
    2. 120GB HDD Primary + 120GB SSD inserted under linux: works
    3. 120GB HDD Primary + 500GB HDD in caddy: freeze
    4. 120GB HDD Primary + 500GB HDD inserted under linux: works
    5. 500GB Primary + nothing in caddy: works
    6. 500GB HDD Primary + 120GB HDD in caddy: works
    7. 500GB HDD Primary + 120GB SSD in caddy: freeze
    8. 500GB HDD Primary + 120GB SDD inserted under linux: works

1000GB, 160GB & 40GB Drives were in use today by others so couldn't test those.

Dell seems to be doing some REALLY crazy stuff in their BIOS..
    Sadly the Hanging occurs before booting the OS (or from USB) so using Linux in someway (bootloader? GRUB?) seems out of the question.

Linux: (Xubuntu Live USB 12.04x64)
    It took linux a good 30seconds to detect drives when inserted, no idea if this is linux or perhaps for some other reason?

Windows: (8pro + Wmc x64)
    y u no find drives like Linux?
    Tried 500GB and working 120GB HDD, when inserted when running. Windows/disk manager/device manager doesn't pick either drive up.
    There must be a way to do this though or there would be a lot more complaints than the other 3 I can find on the internet.

SSD: (Corsair Force III 120GB F120)
    It seems 120GB is the limit for the caddy and I think the 120GB SSD + ~8GB overprovisioning (7%) == 128GB.
    Not sure if HDD's use similar overprovisioning techniques.

Conclusion:
    BIOS freezes when >120GB drives are used in the secondary slot (caddy). The primary slot seems to be fine up to 1TB.
    I don't think this is going to be solved with an optionrom, I couldn't even find something that seemed like the Intel one in my BIOS when I looked so this may be somewhat off topic. I should also note that the BIOS freezes ~75% of the time, the other ~15% it takes +45seconds to complete post. Either way, HDD's not visible in Windows.

New thread or continue here?
    Happy holidays
    ~Aeny

8. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    @Aeny - It sure does look like the ODD SATA port is conflicting with the ATI HD5450 somehow. Does the Dell BIOS stay on the main screen or does it get past that and boot up the Intel Option ROM? If it gets stuck on the main screen, then this is something only Dell can fix.

9. Aeny

Aeny MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2011
    #35 Aeny, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    If with Intel orom you mean PXE ethernet boot thing then I'll have to check, I always turn either that or my ethernet port OFF in bios. But I'm 99% sure it stays stuck at the Dell Logo. And I'm 100% sure Dell isn't going to fix this one. Not even if I get an angry mob and pitchforks.. You know how they are.. Thanks for taking a look, tqhoang!
    I'll do some testing tomorrow, 1564 is in use at the moment.

Mind if I post a link here in the Dell community thread? You never know if some Moderator or another Dell member might stumble across it here.

EDIT: does that means that Linux can reallocate this address space the HD5450 and ODD are fighting for and Windows can't?
    ~Aeny

10. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Sorry I was confused for a little bit. Your Dell Inspiron 1564 doesn't use an Intel RAID Option ROM (OROM).

Your best bet is to contact Dell directly instead of posting to their user forums.

11. Recursion

Recursion MDL Junior Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Instead of blaming the disk drivers you can look and replace the amd video oprom? Just my 5 cents.

12. Aeny

Aeny MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2011
    Well I've been looking at the vbios/oprom02.bin and I can open it with RBE, and guess what? They didn't even label the card correctly. vbios says 512mb, card is 1gb. (Googling revealed this string is just for description and has no use in the bios/vbios) So how do I go from here? Replace it with? Edit the address space it will use? I originally wanted to clock it a tiny bit higher :D.
    Thanks for your 5 cents, Recursion.

~Aeny

13. Recursion

Recursion MDL Junior Member

Dec 26, 2012
    #40 Recursion, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
    I like that idea. Maybe you can't find an update but you can overclock the display? But I would be careful and also did you have a Crisis Recovery Disk and checked the recovery procedure?

P.S. Also, the free oprom memory in the computer is very tiny only 128 kb. The video card bios can take up to 64 kb and when you have more oprom like pxe and raid oprom and you continuously adding more sata drives maybe that's the reason how it freezes? Maybe disable everything not needed in the bios helps to add more disk drives? You can search the internet many problems seems to be that tiny free oprom memory else you can load 1000 of oproms into your computer???