Integrate PCI Option Rom (specifically newer raid option rom) into a Dell Laptop Bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by laferrierejc, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Recursion

Recursion MDL Junior Member

Dec 26, 2012
    try win+esc key.

2. Aeny

Aeny MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2011
    Slight bump.

As posted before in here awhile ago I'm still facing the same issue. I tried some more trickery trying to get my laptop working. Crossflashed a 1558's BIOS and it posted halfway so issue not solved. Tried removing the HD5450's vbios but the laptop doesn't want to boot without it (beeps at me 2x5 times).

So I've been having some trouble with the oproms. I use the Phoenix Tool from this forum to mess with them. I succesfully managed to edit the 5450's vbios to clock it to 5470's levels but that's where it stops. swapping the place of 2 modules also works (oprom2.rom <-> oprom3.rom) but taking modules out doesn't. I tried oprom4.rom, renamed it to oprom3.rom, readded it to the BIOS just fine, flashed it but the laptop wouldn't boot, my wincris disk was inserted and in fact it automatically recovered with no keypress on my part whatsoever. The oproms I replaced was a vbios that's not used (HD4330) with the PXE (as oprom03 and oprom04) one. So am I missing something? A checksum perhaps..?

next problem:
    I could not for the life of me find anything remotely looking like a SATA rom. Apparantly Phoenix BIOS'es have these as modules. Where is it located and would it be possible to update this module? I've heard Dell uses some pretty outdated ones in their BIOSes.

Lastly I tried contacting @DellCares on twittter, after about 2ish months of DM'ing back and forth they somewhat acknowledge the issue but will not fix it, the 1564 is EOL. Even if I renewed my warranty it would only cover the hardware, not the software/bios. Never again will I purchase a Dell.
    :ranting:

~Aeny

3. Recursion

Recursion MDL Junior Member

Dec 26, 2012
    1. It never happens to me but PBE sometimes makes error. When I understand you it's no problem to change the order of the option rom.
    2. You should learn more about PC-BIOS and option rom. BIOS is very old now and UEFI is all over the place. Hence think twice if you want to repair your laptop. I'm also a beginner but normally you must have a SATA orom and you can replace it. You also need a virtual machine because trying this in real is a pain in the ass. Maybe try in an assembler forum. The can write booloader etc.

4. nde

nde MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2013
    #64 nde, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
    I just bought 2 DELL PC a week ago.
    E6530,BIOS A11,RAID option rom 11.2
    Optiflex 9010,BIOS A12,RAID option rom 11.2

I heard that only v11.5 and up can support radi0 trim of SSD so that I want to upgrade the RAID option rom to the latest version v12.6.
    url: win-lite.de/benutzer/fernando/ROM-Module/Intel/RSTe/Intel_RSTe_RAID_ROM_v12.6.0.1867.7z
    Would you please help me to modify the BIOS rom or give some advice about how to do it?

Thanks a lot.

5. worstenbrood

worstenbrood MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2013
    tqhoang, which orom did you use ? Could you share it please ? thanks

6. oflo23

oflo23 MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2014
    #67 oflo23, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    Hope I'm posting in the correct spot. Here are my specs:
    -Manufacturer: Dell
    -Motherboard Model: Dell Latitude e7440
    -Bios revision: A07 installed can upgrade to A08
    -Bios Type: Not sure assuming Phoenix but RWEverything shows Creator ID as "AMI"
    -Bios Download Link: htt*://ww*.del*.co*/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=RYC84&fileId=3353862108&osCode=BIOSA&productCode=latitude-e7440-ultrabook&languageCode=EN&categoryId=BI

Looks like Dell has disabled the RAID 0 option. Possible to get a BIOS modded with an OROM that has RAID0. Based on other posts and threads it seems it may not be possible. Wanted to post and get some clarification. Thank you for your time.

My Intel Option ROM at boot shows 12.7.0.1936

7. gstoeckl

gstoeckl MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2015
    Hello,

I found this thread via Google. I own a Dell M6400 too. The BIOS posted earlier in the thread is A12. Could anybody help me or provide a BIOS A13 with the current Intel Option RAID-manager ROM?

Thanks

8. BillyAZ1983

BillyAZ1983 MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2015
    Anyone still have the a10 file?

9. BillyAZ1983

BillyAZ1983 MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2015
    Sorry Precision M6400.

Were you ever able to get the option rom to work with any BIOS revision higher than A10?