Intels new Core i7 (Bloomfield) Nehalem generation and X58 chipset

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Yen, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #1 Yen, Oct 14, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
    I'm thinking about to upgrade my system:);)

I've created this thread to gather information. I'll wait till it will be released at the market. I guess it'll be at November.

Any comment / additional information is appreciated.

The CPU will be available as Core i7 920, Core i7 940 and Core i7 965
    Introduction of new socket LGA1366. The memory contoller is integrated at CPU.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    I Gathered some interesting infos when reading through various reviews/previews/benchmarks/reports ;)

From the early reports the Core i7 920 is an golden-overclocker

-It is easly O/C to the ~4.0GHz barrier (must only ensure to have also good oc-rams).
    -Good cooling is also needed (on Stock when OC it's nearing the TjMax 105 C, on Thermalright and/or Noctua it's keeping to the load ~70-80 C temps which is ok)

- MoBos based on the X58 are _very_ expensive (ranging ~250-320 EUR)
    MSI's X58 Eclipse blowed mosfets when OC in two test runs - not my type to be recommended ATM.
    My choices are either Gigabyte's X58 variants or ASUS P6T / or most expensive one - Rampage II. However P6T lacks 10 SATAs (only 8) and Gigabyte has also a very sexy look (and a Watercooled northbridge option).

- You CAN safely use 1.65+ RAMs but you must obey some _very important_ rules

If you want some additional infos - just place the questions/requests here :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Coming weekend I have to build a PC and may test it!

-P6T Deluxe
    -Core I7 920
    -Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D (3X2 GB) 1600MHz 8-8-8-24

Btw: What CPU cooling (fan, no water) would you recommend to OC?

4. oddballracing

oddballracing MDL Junior Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I'm assuming you've built the machine by now but all i have to say is that the nehalem has impressed me. I recently built a new machine for a client with the intel DX58SO and a 920 CPU. Very impressive performance and i managed to get the unit to 3.5G @ stock voltage (didn't want to mess with voltage as it was not my machine) with the intel turbo turned off. thats about a 35% overclock which is pretty sweet. Ran a 72 hour burn in with burnintest, without any issues. I put in an evga 9500GT as well as a 6G triple channel kingston kit, i would go for the P6T motherboard if i were to build one again though, as i have come to realize from these forums that the intel bios has not been modified as of yet.

P.S. i have had three Corsair dual channel kits sent away for RMA in the last year as well as one single channel out of warranty stick die on me, so i'm not a big fan of corsair at the moment, so far the kinston and mushkin has been good though.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #5 Yen, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
    (OP)
    Yes, did it!:)

And I'm very impressed, too.
    The core I7 is a really strong CPU with OC potential, the 920 is the Intel processor with best cost/performance ratio at all.
    What impressed me most is that OC'ing of the CPU gives much more gamimg performance at a 280 GTX (HT disabled).

Corsair memory works well at 1600 MHz CL8.
    With a good heat sink 4 GHz are possible.(Noctua 1366)

3Dmark 2006 benches 20600 with a GTX280 (CPU@4GHz, HT disabled) while at stock clock 2.66 it results to 16700 (1280*1024)

A very impressive machine.

Don't go for a core 2 quad anymore......(it's no real quad core).....