Interesting artifact in Stuxnet: guava.pdb

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by lakrispipe, Jan 21, 2020.

1. lakrispipe

lakrispipe MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2019
    Looking at the source code for Stuxnet you can find this interesting path: b:\myrtus\src\objfre_w2k_x86\i386\guava.pdb

I've read different theories on what this means and the most common ones are summarized on wikipedia:

In the wikipedia article for guava it says:

Any alternative theories on why the malware authors chose to name it guava? Very interesting for sure :)

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The relation Guava to Myrtus is botanically reasonable.
    Guava (Psidium guajava) belongs to the family of Myrtaceae and the order of Myrtales.
    (We once researched about Psidium leaves to develop meds against diarrhea...)....

Myrtle (Myrtus communis) belongs also to the family of Myrtaceae and the order of Myrtales.
    Both plants are botanically related, means 'Myrtus and Guava' are botanically related, they have the same family.

The relation to 'Esther' is far fetched.
    If you want to have a biblical relation then rather have a look what's the role of Myrtle there. (For instance the transformation of Nature).

TBH the relation to My RTUs as a hint to RemoteTerminalUnit seems to be more reasonable....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...