Is it just me or does Windows 8 SUCK?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by berryracer, Jan 4, 2012.

?

Do you like the new Windows 8 Interface?

1. Yes

40.7%
  2. No

59.3%
    For God's sake, its not even officially out yet, let alone beta, its still being developed. :)

judge it when its officially out in stores and then your opinion is justified.

the only thing i can say with utmost confidence is that windows 7 is perfect. why would we need windows 8?

1. DOGC_Kyle

DOGC_Kyle MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2011
    I think the new UI is great. The Win7 Start menu is useless because it is tiny and lacks customization. The new Start screen is bright, customizable, easier to navigate, and far more useful.

If you wanted to launch a application in Win7 using the Start menu (and without using search), you would have to scroll through a tiny popup and navigate through folders to find the app. In Win8 (using the Start screen or Apps screen), you can just zoom out, find the group your tile is in, and click/tap that. It's much easier and faster.

As soon as I get Win8 (the realeased version), I am upgrading my non-touch desktop. Different versions (one for tablets, one for desktops) wouldn't make sense, there would be two UIs instead of one UI that scales across a variety of platforms. The new UI is designed for desktops as much as it's designed for tablets.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You say without to use search (a useful feature at w7), w8 is faster to run an application. You have to deny a w7 feature to prove w8's qualities, lol! A nice way to argue.

At w7 I push the start button enter the first letter of my application I want to run at the bar, then I click on the application or hit enter. I bet I am always faster at w7!

Some say you need to use w8 properly or even say some are not clever enough to use w8 properly. If they would then they know w8 is far better. They should first learn to use w7 properly!

At one point I agree with you. The start menu would have needeed a revision, it should be more customizable.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    In Windows 7, you need to click the start button or hit the Windows key and type anything you want to search.
    In Windows 8, you need to click the start button or hit the Windows key and type anything you want to search.

So you don't lose any time or clicks. Moreover, Windows 8 Start Screen allows you to see much more results than Windows 7's Start Menu.

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Right and the most used applications are accessible after pressing the start button anyhow. Any other appear as soon as I have entered the first letter of it. (Mostly I can hit enter then since the right one is marked already)
    There is absolutely no improvement at w8 regarding 'speed'.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. TheBlade

TheBlade MDL Senior Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The loadup times, copying files, opening closing, shutting down the OS has improved in speed. Did you even install 7989,8102?

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Speed in that aspect I meant the time to start a particular application. I did not spend much time in trying, honestly spoken (WDP only). But I recognized not more speed since w7 on SSD is already fast concerning the aspects you have mentioned.
    My major problem is its ugly metro design / handling and the poor attempt to go for apps now as well...I use windows as corporate OS to be productive. It will not replace w7, w7 is a decent OS.

7. Mustafa Can

Mustafa Can MDL Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Windows 8 is not suck. it has many nice features. for example new copy/move system, new fast boot, mounting iso files etc.

but i think so. Metro is SUCK.

Aero 1-0 Metro

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  9. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    Only 105 people have voted in this poll so far.
    If everyone who uses Windows 8 votes, we will see at least 80% Yes.

10. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Dude, please stop kidding yourself :D .....Yen is right.

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Well until RTM things will change, not excluded there will be more people who like it, no question.
    Sooner or later people will be forced to use it since preinstalled PCs will ship with it only.

But for now I think w8 isn't attractive and most have skipped to try it. The one who hasn't tried it cannot vote hence there are only 105 votes.
    We both don't know how many percent of the ones who have tried it have voted. But I guess the majority who has installed it has voted already.

I am very curious if it will become another Vista. As things develop so far I guess yes.

Just my 2 cents. (And the opinion of most of my friends).

12. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I see you've actually never used Windows 8!

The EXACT same thing as you said can be done with Windows 8! Just press the start button and the most used apps are there right in front of your eyes. In fact the Start Screen can hold many more apps than the Windows 7's most used programs list.

Or, you can hit the start button, type one letter and then hit enter to open an application up.

Windows 8's Start Screen is just as fast if not faster than Windows 7. Plus it gives you more apps than the tiny start menu can possibly hold.

13. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    That is the true.....i believe that w8 finally will let users to choose betweeen classic and metro startmenu...

14. MillerCoors

MillerCoors MDL Member

Jan 5, 2012
    The Mistake is you can't compare Windows 8 with Windows 7 only with Windows 1.0 because it is something new. I love this Windows 8 and metro styles and can't wait of this Beta.

15. tN0

tN0 MDL Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Absolutely agree with Yen.

The whole "re-imagination of Windows" strategy that we heard from Microsoft is questionable. Windows 7 IS successful! The only thing that Microsoft needs is to improve on Windows 7 and get into the tablet market with a competitive OS. But what they seem to try is to force a tablet OS on the desktop. I try to sum up why I think that Windows 8 will be a flop:

- Windows wasn't really successful before they introduced the Start Menu and the Taskbar with Windows 95 — Think about it: These two elements are what makes Windows Windows. In W8 they killed the Start Menu and they made the Taskbar a second-class citizen that isn't available on Metro UI. This will not work.

- they changed some fundamental things dramatically that nobody saw as a problem of Windows 7: best example is the Ribbon in Windows Explorer. They didn't improved on 7's Explorer but they brought an old UI from Office to the completely different Explorer. As much as I love the Ribbon on Office, as much I hate it on Windows Explorer. It's a cheap try to get rid of the legacy menus but the Ribbon is the completely wrong solution. This will not work.

- they didn't changed the things that almost everybody dislikes about Windows 7: like the Control Panel mess. Small windows with scroll bars that can't be re-sized, no unified Control Panel, pop-up dialog boxes, single tabs, million options all over the place. Instead of improving the Control Panel like users have asked for ages ( aerotaskforce.com/view/272, windows7taskforce.com/view/145 ) they simply introduce ANOTHER interface, the PC settings. This will not work.

- Metro on Windows 8 isn't what Metro was on the Zune HD or Windows Phone. It misses the fluidity of Windows Phone with those nice 3D feedback when you click on buttons, it misses the panorama interfaces that make Windows Phone superior to every other OS on a mobile device and it misses the bold and inspiring font styles and colors that made the Zune HD interface so unique. Windows 8's Metro UI is boring and uninspiring. This will not work.

- Metro and Aero don't fit together. It doesn't feel like one product. Using Metro with a mouse doesn't work well, the elements are all over the screen and more hover feedback is needed. On the other side: Aero on a touch device works as bad as on Windows 7 slate PCs. Metro should be more Aero, and Aero should be more Metro!
    Instead of simplifying Windows, they introduce more and more interfaces in one single product. In Windows 7 there was one interface to select and manage files: The Aero Windows Explorer. In Windows 8 we will have three completely different interfaces for the same thing: Metro's file picker, Aero Explorer with the Command bar (inside Desktop applications as Save and Open dialogs) and the Aero Ribbon Explorer. IE 10 will live in Metro world and Aero land. This will not work.

16. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    Those who don't like Windows 8, just stick with Windows 7 or XP.
    Those who like Windows 8, upgrade to Windows 8.
    Simple!

17. tN0

tN0 MDL Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Simply not true! You HAVE to pin apps to the Start Screen manually that you need frequently. In Windows 7, the Start Menu showed automatically the most recent apps you were using.

This is a completely different experience. For instance: You use 10 apps every day, so you pin them to the Start Screen just like you did on the Start Menu. Now you have installed a new program. Where is it in Windows 8? You have to search for it! On Windows 7 it was right at the bottom of the Start Menu with an orange highlight. Or one day you have to use another app multiple times. If the app is not pinned to the Start Screen you have to use search every single time you want to run the app. After 3 times you may pin the app to the Start Screen because you are frustrated. You may end up pinning every single app to the new Start Screen and make it unusable.

And there is more to complain about how the Start Screen works on a desktop: Where are Jump Lists? Remember that very useful feature in Windows 7? Automatically (!) you can simply hover over the app you were using last day and open the file you were working on right inside the Start Menu. Without doing anything! One single click and you start working again on where you left last time.

That is why computers were invented! To make things automatically easier and faster.

18. MillerCoors

MillerCoors MDL Member

Jan 5, 2012
    No one and I think this time not even Microsoft itself can tell you today what is with the RTM is possible and what not, so best is to keep the ball flat and test this Beta and waiting of Windows 8 RTM.