Is it just me or does Windows 8 SUCK?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by berryracer, Jan 4, 2012.

?

Do you like the new Windows 8 Interface?

1. Yes

40.8%
  2. No

59.2%
  1. tN0

tN0 MDL Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Wow, isn't it simple?! And what about the people who wanted Windows 8 to be better than Windows 7? Or what about the people who waited for a great Windows for tablets? Should they shut up?

2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    If you go with that thinking, do you think Businesses will adopt Win 8 or stick with Win 7 ?
    Note two things, businesses give Microsoft most of their revenue and business don't like change much especially if the change will be costly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tN0

tN0 MDL Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Well, I would agree with you if not Microsoft explained in detail on their E8 blog why they made all those decisions. Don't expect that a lot will change. Sure they will improve a lot of minor things, but I personally wasn't complaining about stability or minor hiccups.

I remember the Longhorn/Vista days and how people waited for the mysterious "Aero Diamond" UI until the very last build. :biggrin5:

4. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2010
    I have my reservations against what I have so far seen of the Metro interface. But I have not installed a W8 yet so I can't provide first hand experience, yet. I do however run Windows Phone 7, that has the Metro interface, or at least the phone version of it, and I have still not thrown away my phone. Which is a good sign in my book.

IMO Microsoft need to go this way since Tablets are boosting. And who is to blame for that? Apple! :angry2:

It's all Apples fault! :D

5. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #85 pezzonovante, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
    In Windows 7's TINY Start Menu you could at most have ONLY 10 programs pinned. But I have 30 programs pinned in the FIRST PAGE of Windows 8's Start Screen. Yes, that's only the first page, and I don't have to scroll at all. There's absolutely no way to achieve this in the classic Start Menu.

How many programs do people regularly use? AT MOST 30. So, pinning them to Start Screen is a very good solution.

Plus what's wrong with search? It's incredibly fast. For example, even though I have Microsoft Word pinned, I just type "W", press Enter, and Word is launched.

Windows 8's Start Screen is faster, slicker and more productive in every single way than the Windows 7's Start Menu. Microsoft has written specifically about this issue in the B8 blog. Check out that blog post for FACTS on how Windows 8's Start Screen is so much better.

6. tN0

tN0 MDL Member

Apr 17, 2011
    I have read the blog posts. I have commented on the blog posts. And Microsoft officially responded to my complaints on the blog.

Well, I never said that they shouldn't improve the Start Menu from Windows 7. But they have lost some fundamental features that were very useful. And there is simply no reason why they don't integrate the Jump Lists into the Start Screen. I suggested a right-click menu that would open that list but the Windows team said that they don't want to do this because Metro Style apps have the ability to pin secondary Tiles to the Start Screen. Yeah, that's not the same thing.

7. MillerCoors

MillerCoors MDL Member

Jan 5, 2012
    tN0 maybe all you want is on the Beta II can come as big surprise on summer. ;)

8. tN0

tN0 MDL Member

Apr 17, 2011
    I know they will improve a bit. And I know that they already have changed some things for the better (like the position of the Charms bar) but I'm not unrealistic. Even if there may be a second beta (is this official?) Steven Sinofsky already made clear that Metro and Aero will not change much. The Taskbar will only be usable in the desktop world and that Jump Lists are gone on the Start Screen. And the Windows team seems to be proud of the Ribbon Explorer. No matter what examples we may show them and no matter what jokes the media is already making, they stand by their "telemetry". They are confident that an UI from 2006 invented for a word processing software is the best solution for a file browser. It's their mantra. And their biggest risk.

9. MillerCoors

MillerCoors MDL Member

Jan 5, 2012
    No, It Is not.

10. LEXX911

LEXX911 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    The problem with these people is that they are expecting a final release for the Windows 8 DP. MS isn't that stupid to give you a very nice Windows 8 to keep so that people will avoid getting Windows 8. They should know better when in Windows 8 when you install an application it gives you a whole bunch of useless pinned icons for one particular program you just install like my Shark007 Codec.

11. johnnygt

johnnygt MDL Senior Member

Jun 18, 2011
    :rolleyes: 9 out of ten off then will use it anyway and no10 will always argue that he/she is not using it !!

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I have deleted the posts which insult others / are off topic.

Just accept the opinions of others, no matter if they say w8 is great or sucks.
    There is neither a reason to insult somebody, nor to say that they are stupid.

Those members do nothing but to discredit themselves.

There are w8 enthusiasts who are waiting for an activation exploit. I expect that everybody who has voted yes will get a valid license and pays for it!

It is quite funny. I have to deal with the same kind of posts I had to deal before Vista went RTM. There were members assuming I never had tested it, because they had no better argument left. :rolleyes:

I also assumed that it will fail and I had valid arguments. (To big, slow, wastes resources, buggy, no OEM support, lack of drivers).

The future will tell us what will happen.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. LEXX911

Jul 29, 2009
    For someone like berryracer who didn't even use Windows 8 for more than an hour and couldn't figure how to use it and to go on here and say it suck deserve what he gets.

14. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    They don't want to do a separate tablet OS because it would be seen as a fork and will fail. (Besides, Microsoft already did that - XP Tablet PC Edition - how far did it go?) What wasn't implemented in the WDP (and should be) is a UI chooser - to let folks choose the UI that suits them. Some desktop users (such as myself) can actually get MORE out of Metro/Immersive than the Windows 7 UI as it is - largely because we aren't *married* to the Start menu. The Taskbar is still there. The TaskTray is still there (in fact, the icons in said TaskTray are largely more informative than those in 7). I haven't gone pin-crazy (which it seems that a LOT of Windows 7 users did when they discovered the Superbar - which is, in fact, unique to Windows 7). Is Metro/Immersive for everyone? No - and I have not even once claimed otherwise. But because it's not YOUR choice, you would deny choice to EVERYONE (or better yet, have Microsoft do it) by diktat/fiat. However, since a fork makes no sense, implement a UI chooser - possibly modelled on the new Boot Manager - so users can decide whether to use the 7 UI or Metro/Immersive.

15. ricktendo64

ricktendo64 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2008
    MetroUI needs to be less flat and ugly (more along the lines of Media Center look/feel)

I love the Windows Media Center thats why I dont mind Metro so much, just wish it was better looking

16. LEXX911

Jul 29, 2009
    #96 LEXX911, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
    People need to stop concerning the way that Windows 8 look. They should be more concern about the functionality of it and Windows 8 by the look and preview it's better than Windows 7 in many ways. If you are concern with the look there will be tons of mods in the community soon afterward. I got bored and don't like the look of Windows 7 but a nice UI mod will straighten that out easily.

Well I agreed that the Metro in Windows are a bit ugly depend on the color. I think Metro UI should be images and NOT just one monotone color. Look how nice Metro UI look when using images for ICONS or APPS. I'm sure we will be able to mod this when Windows 8 comes out. I mean look at how easy we can change our icons on our desktop.

Wp7_musicvideo.jpg

If anyone who uses the ZUNE media player on their Windows should have an idea what I mean. It's look freaking fantastic.

zune-4-0-1.jpg

You can always change your UI. If done right Metro UI will look great keeping it simplistic.

windows7nm.jpg

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It is not your job to decide what somebody here deserves.
    This is the job of the MDL team.
    The posts I have deleted, especially your post was close to break a rule.

Berryracer had the choice to like w8 or not. For some reason he has decided for the latter and has started his poll.

18. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    i never researched zune or have given it a chance,but from the info and images you have provided,it looks awesome:worthy:

19. Misaki2010

Misaki2010 MDL Addicted

Jul 14, 2009
    Hey guys :) when Windows 7 was released you were outraged that the OS looked like Windows Vista, with a new theme and a few additions :) now that Microsoft changed more on it you don't like it... the problem is not Microsoft, the problem is YOU! You can't make up your mind and stick to one decision, a day you want Windows 7-like interface, other day you want something totally different. Windows 8 will be a great OS :) it already is :)

20. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It is M$ that wants all the money. I can live without w8 but M$ can't live without to sell it!
    So you are right. The one who don't like w8 is a problem...but a problem for M$.