Is Reality an Illusion ?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by R29k, Feb 12, 2016.

?

Is Reality an Illusion ?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. Don't Know

10 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    The operative phrase is 'Former'. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    :D :D :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    But MJ, there is a big difference in the meaning of the word "Former" when taken from the context of people our age and teenagers. ;)

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Hallucinogenic compounds and mixtures have a traditional use.
    Actually they mimic a meditative state and add some side effects.

If one wants to explain perception by reducing it to compounds or drugs then consequently, please.

'Drugs' always do act in our brain. All compounds involved are responsible for your current perception.

Since they are constantly changing there is no certain condition which would be more qualified than another one to perceive ‘reality’.

The simple conclusion is: Taking drugs just changes the way of perception. The same happens when body's own drugs are changing. (Hormones, neuro transmitters)...

The mind ‘enhancement’ of drugs is reasoned by this knowledge. You can experience that there are illusionary states of which you never thought that they can exist.
    You also can experience that there is no normal state, better said the normal state is also a 'filtered' and hence a delusional state.

Classifying them as good or bad or positive or negative is an own personal idea.
    But they all have in common that they are delusions. Your ‘clean’ state cannot be different since there is no real clean state.

You are always perceiving your world. Being stoned or clean.

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #265 Joe C, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    being stoned does alter your state of perception

It could be the reason that Trump got into the running for the POTUS

6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    We really have no frame of reference in this world, so stoned or straight, what is reality?

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Everybody lives in their own perception of reality, That's the reason why this is a screwed up world

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I don't think cannabis is a drug that's made for Trump. It's rather alcohol....

People frequently say that somebody has lost touch with reality. But that is actually a phrase.

Everybody of us has got an own individual perception. And it changes during life.
    As a child we have less memories of a past life, the pool of determined stories and events is still small. Relative time seemed to have passed slower as a child, because there was less of a past which could have been a relation. Objects had still their childish freedom.

It is reasonable to get used to and most things done with the state that is prevalent.
    And it is with less effort to get life managed.

But that is a matter of probability and adaptation, not reality.

Nobody would say a child is stoned and far off the reality. It just lives within its childhood.

But if one is intoxicated people say the one has lost touch with reality.

As if one would know what reality is.

I think the reason for the screwed up world is the confusion of the own perception of a reality with reality.
    This is cause of fanaticism..and many more.

9. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep I agree 100%

10. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    You gather wrong. Those cops had better have a time machine. :p

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I read somewhere Trumpoline is a sober sod... which beggars belief - no drugs, no alcohol and yet...

I would have bet it was cocaine in his case... or summat worse, with paranoia and all that...

Some drugs actually kill loadsa brain cells, so sure, they "alter" your perception....

Broadly speaking, not for me, ta... (But I must try at least once... :D )

12. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014

do a whole sheet of acid it will help a lot...sense your basically a illusion it will bring u back to reality;)

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    easy to obtain hallucinogenic drugs. Heavenly Blue Morning Glory seeds, San Pedro cactus, Peyote cactus (very rare to find) Hawaiian Rosewood Seeds or grow your own Psilocibin Mushrooms. There's other stuff out there if you look

14. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Just stay away from all that garbage the only thing is going to do is make u retarded.

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Just a suggested Rx for gorski

16. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I already warned Yen not to post when he's high... :rolleyes: Here it is to you, too... :D

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Indeed, generally speaking, as can easily be seen by some posters here... :D

I merely wanted to try one or two of those once, to know WTF... :p

Joe, it's not easy if it's rare and tough to find... ;)

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Not rare or tough to find, just gotta know where to look, personally I don't touch that stuff

19. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I can only go by what you wrote: "Peyote cactus (very rare to find)" ;)

20. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    I imagine it is... In Poland. :p