Is there any complelling reason to eventually upgrade to windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by magnus33, Mar 15, 2012.

1. scarecrowlantern

scarecrowlantern MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2011
    I haven't yet been in a corporate environment that has upgraded past Windows XP, but I wouldn't say that Windows 7 was a failure.

2. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Windows 7 isn't a failure, but Windows 8 will be.

3. mictlan

mictlan MDL Member

Nov 9, 2009
    It has been posted some pages before, but ...
    I will not upgrade because it will cost me ~100 bucks. No thanks. Win 8 offers not enough to spent money for it.

4. doc

doc MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    Jumplists

5. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011

6. Mazrim Taim

Mazrim Taim MDL Member

Feb 23, 2012
    #66 Mazrim Taim, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
    I guess this means they got the message. ;)

I've said it before... and I'll say it again:

Metro should only be for tablets, and for computers that convert between tablets and laptops. Only if a device doesn't have a keyboard and mouse should it be in Metro mode.

The default mode for laptops and desktop computers should be desktop mode. The start button should be restored, and users should never be forced into the Metro experience. Let it be optional for those who want it.

That's it. If MS makes this happen, Windows 8 will not become a flop. If it remains as it is now, most will only embrace it if third party software like Classic Shell can bring back a fully functional Start Menu. I'm sure they'll get it right. Next step is to be able to skip lock screen and start screen, and disable charms bar.

If these things become possible, I can see myself moving to 8 eventually. If Metro UI remains the annoyance that it is now, I will skip 8.
    If enough people do the same (and I think that's likely), 8 will fail. Microsoft can create whatever they want, but ultimately it is up to us (the consumers) to decide to use (buy) it or not. Maybe an opportunity for Windows alternatives like ReactOS. :D

And besides... we can still use 7 until 2020. ;)

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You simply can say metro is only useful at touch screens, if at all.
    I completely agree with your point of view. Since you are not the only one w8 will fail, if M$ remains stubborn and wants to have apps at any costs. Have a look at our poll and keep in mind the MDL community does not represent the more conservative public. At the poll w8 is below 50%. That's enbarrassing for a new development.
    M$ failed to notice about the vastly growing app market and cannot admit that. So they want to enforce their ugly metro at w8 at any costs. Their dollar signs in their eyes dull their sight and so they miss what the consumers really need and want.

Here I have posted what you basically have written:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. DAz999

DAz999 MDL Member

May 19, 2007
    I do not see a compelling reason to upgrade, as I am a pc user with no touch. basically win 8 is win 7 sp2, but to sell it as win 8, they have boxed themselves into a corner with this metro stuff, which is really only for tablet like devices, but if they did not force it on us then it would show that this win 8 really is only win7 sp2 then how do they justify selling win 7 sp2, like i say boxed themselves in. good old ms full of crap as usual why do they never learn

9. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    I think this is the end of the road for PC users as far as major new windows features are concerned. Seems to me a lot of the world will move to tablets and smartphones in the next few years and new MS OSs will be built keeping those in mind cos thats where the profit lies. The stubbornness in MS's attitude (no start button, no matter what) is rather surprising and indicates some kind of strategy along those lines.

10. pierrejaquet

pierrejaquet MDL Member

Jan 14, 2010
    right now using windows 7 is best but once windows 8 is out officially you should update to it for plenty of reasons....vulnerability patches,performance,new feature.....

11. KINGZOFSTEEL

KINGZOFSTEEL MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2012
    #72 KINGZOFSTEEL, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
    I'm still running WinXP SP3 on my desktop as for upgrading to Windows 8 for me isn't going to happen anytime soon, however I will upgrade to Win7 but I'm waiting that out as well to see what new cripple wear they add to it none the less I do like playing around with win8 preview in vmware my new i5 2nd gen laptop came with win7 but it's not as fast as my XP Machine.

XP Machine:
    AMD P2 X4 +4GIG RAM 3.0ghz

Win7 Machine:
    Intel I5 2nd Gen + 8 Gig 3.0Ghz (a bit slow)

p.s. maybe they should work on performace and or hardware issues in win7 so it runs liter almost 20gigs of HDD Space on install come on that's insane.

12. Misaki2010

Misaki2010 MDL Addicted

Jul 14, 2009
    I don't know about you guys :) but I will definitely upgrade to it :) I've been using the Beta since the day on which it got released, and the Developer Preview too, I've been more than satisfied with these product. I like the Metro, I got used to it pretty fast. I used some leaked builds too but they weren't what I really wanted -> the MetroUI Start Panel.

13. KINGZOFSTEEL

KINGZOFSTEEL MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2012
    #74 KINGZOFSTEEL, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
    I just got a copy of the consumer preview and already I like some of the features but while it's fun to play with in the vmware I'm not sure I like the idea of moving to a cloud type of computing and I'm thinking this is Microsoft's idea it's a more controlled enviroment where you must have an internet connection to even load a program granted as much as I love the internet I like having the ability to still have funtionality offline with the programs I already own I want to keep my rights as an end user to load something without an internet connection.