Is there honestly any reason to upgrade to 10 from 8.1/7?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Nongshim, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

Like the title says, is there really any reason to upgrade? What are the real benefits? Thanks.

2. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    No.

(Do not read this: MDL does not accept answers that are less than 10 characters)

3. sick13

sick13 MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2016
    Unless you want to spend time fiddling around with all kinds of problems then by all means go for it, i just recovered my pc from a nasty bug introduced in the latest cumulative update KB3201845 every time i wanted to update defender it would go into Bsod.

my advice stay on 7, i am probably going to 7 again, stared to get tired of incompetent microsoft pushing all kinds of bugs with every update.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Never encountered that, i have defender enabled and have the CU installed since it was released as insider preview CU.

I run an unmodified 10 Pro x64 en-US and have not encountered one problem for months now, and the last time i did, it was my own fault.

5. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

Well the PC came with 8.1, so it's either that or 10. I can always use Classic Shell (which I usually use for both anyways).

6. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    No. The only reason I switched all my computers to Windows 10 is because I work on computers a lot, and I need to know everything I can about it (I already know about everything I need to know about Windows 7). Otherwise, I would just stick with Windows 7 until it's not supported any more or you need some feature of a newer version. Windows 8 was an attempt to turn your computer into a phone or tablet, not sure which, and Windows 10 (something like an improved interface for 8.1) is a data-gathering OS. Well, Windows inherently is a data-gathering OS, but Windows 10 took it to a whole new level. Windows 10 might be a little more secure against zero days at least for now, but I'm not even sure about that.

7. Runs[with]Scissors

Runs[with]Scissors MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2016
    Invest (time for learning + money for an extra drive) in a reliable backup/recovery program. You'll then have the freedom to explore first hand if a different OS is to your liking. Acronis, Aomei and Paragon, to name a few, are up to the task.

(And yes, a virtual approach is good too).

8. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Unless you need to become proficient with Windows 10 for work, I see no good reason to upgrade.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    One comparison that comes to mind is the penis extension car shopper.
    Oh, so yours is only 8 inches... :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Unless you value and use Microsoft cloud services and want them more integrated into the OS or want to use DirectX 12, no.

Some people like claiming performance improvements, but I have yet to see such a thing. Maybe their 7/8.1 install was just messy though or something.

11. budzos

budzos MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2009
    I just recently began my misadventure with W10 and have not seen any real benefits other than learning how to tweak it back to Windows 7.
    I would feel a lot better about it if I could ditch the entire windows update portion and resume manual control completely.
    budzos

12. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    3 separate partitions, Win 7 on 1, Win 8.1 on 2, Win 10 on 3rd, then you can play with all and decide which one you like and want to use, I have not had any problems with Win 10, but I am not a 10 foil Hatter that has removed half the OS to keep black helicopters away, bottom line, your choice :D

13. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014

first Welcome to MDL :welcome:well for me I think so: each head is one sentence, but for me Windows 10 without doubt is one good O.S. but user need have good knowledge and expertise also for works fine still is make one big work with your ISO before for best results (MSMG Toolkit V6.0) before installation and several tweaks too ;)

14. El_Heffe

El_Heffe MDL Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Agree.

I tried. Last year I spent months with the Insider Previews, the final RTM release and the fall update, or whatever it was called. I finally gave up and went back to Windows 7. A couple of months ago, I gave it another shot and installed the "Anniversary Update". Now I'm back with Windows 7 and everything feels normal again.

There are some things I like about Windows 10, but overall, it's just too annoying. It's like the old saying "Death by a thousand cuts". There are lots of little bugs and quirks. Lots of things that were changed, and made just a little worse, for no reason. Nothing huge, nothing terrible, just a lot of little things. Windows 10 is like being in some weird alternate universe where everything is just a little ... off.

And, Windows 10 is just plain ugly.

Maybe someday, Microsoft will get their head of their ***, but until then, it looks like I'll be staying with Windows 7 for a long time.

15. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Yes, this whole update situation sucks. I have a computer illiterate friend who wanted me to set up his work computers so that they'd stop rebooting in the middle of the night after updating, and he was losing work, but I wouldn't do it. I told him if I did that, he'd never update ever again and he admitted he probably wouldn't. They use an automated program that sends their data to another company after work hours and the update reboots totally screws that up. I told him to get the company that makes the software he uses to fix it to work with windows 10 instead. To do otherwise would be sabotaging his business on my part. I just had to throw up my hands and walk away.

16. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    In fact, I intended to post exactly the opposite question in the Windows 8 section: Is there any good reason NOT to upgrade from 8.1 to 10? But had thought the answer would be an obvious no, so I didn't bother posting the question. :confused:

It's a later system with more life with updates, more features including Edge, Photos app and Start, faster and lighter on resources, bug fixes (well, probably also some new ones added in the process) and may well be the last version from what we hear, updated indefinitely. In fact, Windows 8 was the next bad failure after Vista and 8/1 only put things partly right.

17. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    i think win10 is a good upgrade, if you know how to handle the crap that comes along with it. I too have a laptop that came with win8.1, and believe me 8.1 is not good enough compared to 7 or 10. Upgrading from 7 to 10 is something to debate about, but from 8 to 10 in undoubtedly worth upgrading. Thats my personal take on this question.:g:

18. sick13

sick13 MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2016
    The latest CU is causing problems for some users, an example would be i did not encounter the Internet connectivity problems with DHCP, but on my laptop it was present, so my guess it's maybe hardware dependant, some work some dont, either way i fixed it by riling back to previous version before this months CU